Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 6/4/2017 4:38:00 AM

I have had major concealer issues under my eyes for the past 18 months- I have hereditary dark circles but also have some dryness and fine lines under my eyes which leads to creasing of concealer and if I try to set with powder, results in excessive dryness and caking. After extensive research online: multiple reviews/YouTube/articles etc, I couldn't avoid Shape Tape due to its publicity and glowing reviews. Being Australian, Shape Tape is not stocked at Sephora here so I had it shipped internationally with the high hopes that all the reviews were true. I was so excited when it arrived thinking maybe finally there would be a product that was pigmented enough to cover my dark circles, but not creasing!

I was left disappointed. It certainly is pigmented and I didn't even need to use colour corrector to cover my dark circles. However, it just cakes up and looks dry within minutes of application (and I always use eye cream beforehand). I really have tried everything - I have tried different methods of application (fingers, brush, beauty blender). I've tried putting moisturising face oils as well as my eye cream to the undereye area and even have tried mixing some of these with the concealer. I've tried it with and without powder. I've tried just the tiniest amount compared to the big "V" shape undereye. Just nothing seems to work and the dryness and caking is a constant issue.

I do think if you were purchasing Shape Tape with the view of covering pigmentation/acne scars etc which I do have some of, it would certainly do the job. I just think its simply too drying for my undereye area.

Sorry, I just couldn't do it with this concealer. I really wanted to love it, after trying forever to get a pale shade of this. Here are my issues:
(1) Why the heck did they create such a HUGE doe foot applicator for this? Its so unnecessary. Especially since you only get product on the very tip anyway with the design of the tube.
(2) Even with getting a tiny bit of makeup on the tip of the doe foot applicator this stuff is THICK. Like Molasses thick. Which is good if you are looking for extreme coverage but the average woman probably doesn't need to put paste on her face on a daily basis. And for $24 dollars a tube, I should be able to use this every day.
(3) This stuff was hard for me to blend because it was so thick, I used a damp beauty blender or my fingers and I had to be extremely sparing with the product I was applying.
(4) CREASING - what in the actual hell? I don't know how people are getting this to not crease. Even setting this with powder, not even 20 minutes later this has settled into lines I didn't even know I had. And it is so drying that it makes the lines look even worse. I kept wanting to wet the area to try and fix the lines. So glad I wear glasses at work so you couldn't really see them with my glasses on.
(5) OXIDATION - I bought this in one of the lightest shades for some brightening and because I am pale. Within an hour this was orangey.
All in all I am not sure what I did wrong with this concealer. I am glad that so many people like this stuff, but for the ladies (and men) having issues - it is NOT just you honey.

Full Size Image

I really, really tried to love this, but oh my goodness this stuff is so drying. It was also very difficult for me to find a good color match - most colors were either way too pink/peachy or way too light in the shades within my skin tone range. It covered decently well, but nothing spectacular - I've had similar results from cheaper concealers. Maybe the skin under my eyes is too dry for this product, but I found it accentuated every bit of dryness possible. Not a fan, unfortunately, although I have tried to love it :(

I tried, y'all. I really tried, but this just doesn't work on me, no how, no way.

I picked up fair & fair beige on Black Friday sale based on the hype, with the main goal of covering my dark undereye circles. Fair beige is the closest match for me, maybe a hair too light, but the next darker shade is much too dark. Now, I have pretty good skin for my age, but that age is 50, and I have some lines under my eyes, plus some puffiness leading to sunken tear troughs. Something about this product is so flat that it emphasizes all my undereye topographic issues. And even then, once I've blended it out so it doesn't look like flat wall paint under my eyes, it seems to fade within 30-60 minutes, almost as if you never applied it.

I've also tried it for spot concealing on my cheeks and around my nose. No good there either--separated & pooled in my pores within an hour.

I bought these directly from Tarte, which unfortunately only has returns in 30 days, so I'm just tossing it at this point.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm MAC NC37 and use pro longwear concealer in NC 25. I tried 4 shades of this at Ulta but couldn't find the right color even with the help of a makeup artist there who admitted they dont have enough medium tones. The medium and medium honey were too dark, they matched my skin and I need it a little lighter to brighten. The light medium was too light. I really wanted to try this product after hearing how great the coverage was. Oh well.

on 7/10/2017 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The formula itself is very creamy yet thick and it sets very fast. It oxidizes very badly and I never had that happen to me with any other product. It also clings to dry patches, peachfuzz, and on acne and minor texture the shape tape just doesn't look smooth and flawless. when I try to build up the coverage, it feels and looks so cakey even before I set with powder(I'm using a beauty blender all the time). it is not lightweight at all. After like 3 hours I noticed it separates on my forehead and my chin, sometimes on my nose as well and I always set with the powder that never fails me. It creases very fast especially under my eyes it looks horrible! It doesn't cover up my minor hyper pigmentation and I end up looking grey toned. When I build up the coverage under my eyes I crease more and even after I set with powder, it still creases! Also when I use the slightest bit of the concealer I just end up cakey (even when I use Special smoothing primers)
One last thing about the formula- it took me a month to realize it was holding my acne back from healing.
Very disappointed

edit; can't understand why people are disliking this review.. just because y'all don't agree don't mean it ain't helpful or honest!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This product did not work for me. This product has been really hyped about for months. So I eventually decided to give it a try. It did not work for me. My first thoughts of applying the concealer were how thick it was and I knew it couldn't be a good look for my under eye area.. Oh my gosh. The concealer was SO drying and settled in ever line imaginable. Even my husband commented on it. That's when you know.... I returned the Tarte Shape tape the next day.