MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk

MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk
Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk

4.2

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best lumanizing powder ever! I love it. Lots of tiny glitter great for highlighting. Product doesn't stay in container though.

on 7/18/2012 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Super-fine, dewy-soft dust with lots of silver flecks, that goes on predominantly white/pearl despite the faint pink hue in the jar; better for women with lighter skins as it can look ashy on tan to darker skins.
I find this also works better an an all-over dusting powder (face, decollette, legs, arms, even hair!) due to the liberal amounts of silver pixie glitter. For face highlighting, do note this will migrate everywhere instead of staying just where you put it.
This is designed to give you some serious sparkle all over, and not so good for spotlighting areas of your face or creating a dewy, natural sheen, compared to many other products.
Pros: Silky-smooth, and great value for money if you use it all over your face and body because you get a huge jar.
Cons:Without a base to stick to, this functions like a faintly-tinted version of MAC Prep + Prime powder (translucent, easily sheers out to nothing) with silver sparkles thrown in.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

LOVE THIS. It's really my mom's, but I use it. She has had it for years and it's still not even close to being finished, because all you really need is a little swipe. I just use the fall out in the cap and it's more than enough. I like to use this on my brow bones as a highlight, but it's so versatile it can be used anywhere you want a touch of shimmer. You can even sprinkle some in your hair! This is great stuff. And though MAC is a pricey brand, because of how long this lasts, it really is worth the money.

on 2/27/2013 3:21:00 PM

Overall, I feel like this is a pretty good product. I've used it as a highlighter on my cheekbones, cupid's bow and above my brows. It's very pretty and VERY glittery. You only need the most minimal amount to get a good sheen. Upon first application I applied way too much and I looked like a disco ball. The little bit that gets on the lid from storing is more than enough to highlight an entire face. The only reason I don't give this a 5 is because it doesn't stay exactly where placed. I'm going to try and use it over UD's eyeshadow primer to see if it makes a difference. It also has some obvious pieces of glitter in it that I'm not too keen on. The container is quite large for the amount of product you get, so I know for sure this thing is going to last for years to come. At $25, it had better! lol

EDIT: I tried to use this as a highlighter again, and could not achieve the look I wanted. It looked gorgeous on the eyes over every eye shadow I tried (Electric Eel, Sumptuous Olive, Woodwinked) but it was a bit much for a day look, and with a baby, my nights are usually spent in doors with my baby, my husband, and reruns of Jersey Shore. Thus, I returned this. I wouldn't repurchase.

on 3/10/2013 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I said "yes" to repurchasing this powder but "not sure" is probably more correct. I haven't actually bought this yet - I got a generous sample of this from the nice women at my local MAC counter. I've been trying it out for a few days and while it has an almost fairy-tale magic about it, I think it's a bit too glittery for me except in very small doses. Today, I applied this onto my cheekbones with a large eye shadow brush (so I could control where it went). It was daytime and the sunlight from my bathroom window really showed up the silver glitter. I think it's probably not the best idea to wear this in the daytime (unless you are a skater in the Ice Capades or something like that!). But for a romantic candle-lit dinner, I think this would be really pretty and I also like it in small doses on my cupid's bow and inner corners of my eyes. Once I finish my sample, chances are pretty good that I'll buy the full size of this to use for special occasions (and give the lion's share of it to my much younger daughter!)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have tried several powder, cream, and liquid highlighters. This was one of the first highlighters I ever tried, and I didn't have it very long. It's a pale pink beige powder with big chunks of silver shimmer. I like shimmery highlighters, but this was overkill, and it wasn't very flattering. It accentuated my pores, and left me looking "greasy". I applied a tiny bit with a fan brush to the apples of the cheeks, and I found it all over my face, neck, and chest instead. It's in a standard loose powder container, so it can get pretty messy trying to put it on. I returned it. I think they just discontinued them, and now I know why.

on 5/6/2014 10:49:00 PM

OMG!!! Okay so...If you are not looking for lots of shimmer, this NOT going to be your go-to. HOWEVER, I love using this as a super shimmery highlighter. I have tried many, and this one is by far my fave. I just peel back a little of the protective covering that covers the dots where the powder comes out...That helps me not get a HEAPING amount of it at one time when I tip it over before using.

For daytime, I use this product dry with my brush. For a dramatic highlighter, I wet my brush with my spray bottle before I apply. It works wonders!!! I dust it on the tippy tops of my cheeks and go over the top of my eyes for a shimmery effect when I am in the mood for one! Would definitely re-buy, but would suggest trying it out at the MAC counter before purchasing...!!!

on 11/22/2018 5:41:00 PM

I tested this at a local mac store and wasn't very impressed. Though it's interesting to have a silvery cool toned highlighter (which seens somewhat rare to find), I thought this was way too glittery, too sheer, and not really on my taste, but it's counterpart, golden bronze, on the other hand, it's not that sparkly, great color payoff and has a beautiful sheen to it, so I purchased that one. But I really wished they made silver dusk the way they made golden bronze: less sparkly, more color payoff. If you like very sparkly and sheer highlighters you'll probably love this one. I think this is a good highlighter if you're young and going to a rave or a club, or if you're a performer and need to stand out on stage or camera. I gave 5 lipsticks on the price, because this will last forever, you get plenty of powder for the price, it's fair enough for me.