MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk

MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk
Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk

4.3

on 4/1/2009 10:21:00 AM

this is a really great product for highlighting your cheekbones or to add in your moisturizer for a nice subtle shimmer. if you use it on your face go VERY lightly with it, you just need a tiny bit and it goes a long way. i even pressed a little of this in an empty eye shdaow pan so i can take it with me in palette when i travel. its much more convenient than taking the whole jar. it sells for $21 which is cheap cause they give you a lot, this powder could seriously last you years depending on how you use it.

A friend and I recently bought this in the silver and golden. We learned a few lessons while trying them out. From my experience, this product only looks good on FAIR skin. Her skin is medium and it looked like body glitter on her. She definitely needed the gold. Also, you need to use a very fluffy brush and apply with a LIGHT hand. (Unless you're going for a sweaty, disco ball style) Tap the brush until it basically looks like theres no product on it, dont worry, it will show when you apply it. A bit too sparkly, but pretty.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product gets my vote, with one important caveat: the key with this stuff is controlled and careful application. The first time I played around with it I dusted it over my face with my #129 brush and it looked okay in the bathroom light, but when I took my mirror outside and checked myself out in the truthful light of day, I realised that I looked like a sweaty drag queen. From this, I learned a few things, namely to dust it only lightly on the cheekbones, browbone and very lightly around the eyes, and to avoid dusting it on the forehead (which I found the cause of the sweaty look). Also, I really wouldn't wear this during the day because it is a bit too disco glam for daylight. For a more subtle all-over shimmer, I recommend ModelCo Shimmer Airbrush Illuminator. You can control the amount of shimmer by spraying the can further or closer to your face and body. A light spray of this over the face and body sets the look and doesn't leave you looking like a disco tragic.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this product after having terrible results with Belightful iridescent pressed powder, which was way too glittery for me. A great SA recommended this to me as an alternative. I wish this were a pressed powder for easier usage, but overall the loose format is worth the effect. I don't usually use this during the day, but I have and it's really not over-the-top if used sparingly and really buffed in. I found the "glitter", or in my opinion, "larger shimmer" to be way smaller than those in Belightful. The overall effect is a coolish ethereal shimmer and it's my second favorite highlighter, (the first being WnW AOS! =O) Great night-out highlighter and would purchase again!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Its prom season and all the MA were using this on many girls. The girls looks so pretty and glowy. So I didn't think about twice and bought me a jar of this silvery loose powder. It really looks great on me NC30. I highly recommend it. Very nice! This was used on the temple and above the cheek bone. Perfect glow.

on 10/9/2005 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

You get lots of shimmery silver powder w/ this. I love it as a highlighter on my brows, as long as i use a light touch. It is very rich and can be overpowering if you use too generously.
My favorite use for it so far is to sprinkle a small bit of it into my hand before lotioning my arms and shoulders for a subtle, but flirtatious sparkle while out on the town.

on 8/24/2005 9:05:00 AM

This review is for the loose powder form. Note that under highlighters, I've reviewed this and rated it a 3. As a highlighter, I'd rate it a 3, but only if I can wash it off right away to prevent it from clogging my pores. As a loose powder, it is extremely heavy and thick, not light and whispery like I think a loose powder should be. That is why I rate this a 2 as a loose powder, but under the highlighter reviews for this product, I've rated it a 3. I can best compare the consistency of this loose powder to that of Johnson & Johnson baby powder. It also feels the same on my skin as I'd imagine baby powder would. The reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is b/c it seems to be too comedogenic (pore-clogging) and b/c it is heavy. Also, I don't care for the messiness of loose powder. I'm not sure how they could have packaged it differently to avoid spilling the loose powder, but this is very frustrating, b/c it gets chunky. Perhaps they could put it in a container like a travel-size J&J baby powder, where you twist the top to expose the holes and lightly sprinkle out the amount you desire. I will say that the container's lid stays on tight, so that's why I rated packaging quality a 2 and not a 1. Since it seems very greasy on, I feel like I want to wash it right off as soon as I get home and as though my face is just waiting to break out in pimples from this. It has the effect of looking beautiful, but perhaps a tad too shimmery/shiny and slightly comedogenic. The price is very good because it lasts forever. IMO, this doesn't look like silver at all, more like a peachy silvery skin tone. I think if they drained it of all of its oiliness somehow, I would buy again, but only in pressed powder form.

on 8/24/2005 8:57:00 AM

This review is for the loose powder form. The reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is b/c it seems to be too comedogenic (pore-clogging) and b/c it seems heavy on my skin. Also, I don't care for the messiness of loose powder. I'm not sure how they could have packaged it differently to avoid spilling the loose powder, but this is very frustrating, b/c it gets chunky. I will say that the container's lid stays on tight, so that's why I rated packaging quality a 2 and not a 1. Since it seems very greasy on, I feel like I want to wash it right off as soon as I get home and as though my face is just waiting to break out in pimples from this. It has the effect of looking beautiful, but perhaps a tad too shimmery/shiny and slightly comedogenic. The price is very good because it lasts forever. IMO, this doesn't look like silver at all, more like a peachy silvery skin tone. I think if they drained it of all of its oiliness somehow, I would buy again, but only in pressed powder form.

on 12/15/2004 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is great for brightening up my dull, winter skin. I have used it as an all over highlighter or sometimes just on my browbone or underneath my eyes. It really creates that glowy,angelic look:) You can use it lightly for a more natural glow, or layered for a more glam evening look. This is a very versatile product, and I will never use up the big container!

on 8/6/2004 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a pink/beige loose powder that can be used as a highlighter. I apply it over my blush for sparkle. Compared to Mac Mineralize Powders, this is definetely a lot more glittery than a mild shimmer. A light hand is needed.