CLINIQUE Happy

3.4

on 12/13/2002 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Other

I have worn Happy since Clinique introduced it. I love the fresh scent and it works with my body chemistry. I have and will buy it over again.

on 10/6/2005 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

If you read my other fragrance reviews, you see I'm always disappointed in every new scent I try. Think this is the exception, 'though. Clean, citrusy (but not overwhelming) and soapy. My sister-in-law wears it and always smells yummy so I gave it a try. This one's a keeper. I know it's an oldie and some are sick of it but - hey - I'm always the last on the bandwagon. It's a light and feminine scent.

UPDATE - One day later: Uh, fuggetaboutit. Dry down morphs into cheap drugstore type scent. Musty, peppery, something I can't quite describe. Uh-uh, this one goes back too. I give up. Will stick to my HG Banana Republic and be done with the eternal quest.

on 2/6/2007 8:38:00 AM

I don't see what's 'Happy' about this at all. I received a sample with a purchase and found it so offensive I had to throw it out. Awful.

Eyes: Violet

Boy, does this scent get old in a hurry.

The first time I smelled it, I loved it. Seemed fresh and citrus-blossom floral with several young, fun notes. Purchased it for myself.

By the third day of wearing it, I was so sick of it. The problem with this scent is it cloyyyyyyyyys. The note of jasmine (or cheap citrus blossom - hard to tell) sticks out above all others and just. won't. leave. All the other notes fade into the background, but the jasmine sticks around and around and around and before you know it you and everyone around you has a headache.

You could reapply to get the full range of notes back, but then you'll have made it infinitely worse, as a HEAVY application of Happy makes you sick of every single note in the perfume.

Will never repurchase in a million, billion years.

on 9/1/2008 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

At first the citrusy smell was terrific, but within a few minutes, I was just headachey from this stuff. Tried to use rubbing alcohol to douse the smell on my wrists. The packaging isn't impressive either.
Happy made me sad.
Maybe it's just my chemistry. Still looking for a signature scent that's more up to date than my 1988 Eternity.

It is a great uplifting revitalizing fragrance. When I wear it to the office both men and women compliment the fragrance and ask me what it is.

This is a great go-to everyday scent, especially in warmer weather. Definitely girly but not overly feminine with that touch of citrus.

on 2/21/2010 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

"Fresh" in the way an orange-scented cleaning product is fresh, which is to say, synthetic.

on 1/1/2012 10:14:00 AM

I have worn Happy on and off (I am never faithful to a scent - love too many for that!) since it came out! I can recall the very first time I smelled it on someone. It was in the grocery store and I didn't care how silly I looked...I pushed my cart around that store until I located the source of the goodness floating upon the air. The woman wearing it was very gracious and told me what it was. A NEW perfume. I finished my food shopping and headed OUT TO THE MALL. I sprayed it on - felt like it did NOT smell on me as it did on her, however, received compliments on my perfume. On her it was a sweet (in a flower nectar gorgeous addicting way) scent. I could not have picked out citrus or anything in particular. Just a goodness and a femininity that every lady would want in her perfume. Quite memorable as I am writing about it all these years later. I found that whenever I asked someone what they were wearing (when I liked a scent) it turned out to be "Happy". Some might find that "too common" or, "not unique enough", "too recognizable". HMMMM....if something is good...the word will spread. (What about the IPhone and IPad? good, right? Many own them. They are good. Many owning them does not make them a bad thing, yes?) If something is not so good you will hear about it for a while and then it disappears. This perfume has been around for a long time for a reason. I would say that when it first came out, many were wearing it at the same time but, not all wore it well. This (in my humble opinion) created such a vast degree of a LOVE or HATE for this scent. Either you loved it for all the compliments you received or, you hated it because everyone had a bottle and/or someone that you encountered was spraying it on as if it were a light body spray. This is a Perfume (Contains a HIGH concentration of oils/scent)...not an EDT, Cologne or Body Spray (Which contains a lower concentration of scent). It is a true Perfume. With a Perfume - you MUST be careful of how much you apply. I am guilty of over-applying this scent through the years and I think that is why I did not get that feeling of bright, happiness and sweet nectar when I wore it. Now when I wear this I spritz 3 times over my head and let it fall onto me. When I do this I apply just the right amount and I still receive compliments as I walk past my husband late in the day. This tells me that 3 spritzes directly on the body is TOO much. What a wonderful thing to be able to buy an affordable scent in PERFUME strength! I think it is fabulous! Normally, when you buy a scent in Perfume strength you get so very little that you would never dream of spritzing it into the air! What an affordable, luxurious treat to be able to spritz in the air and have so much to spare for the next time. Even if I did not use up my bottle before it got "old", I would have received my money's worth out of this as I do NOT need to carry it with me or reapply. PLUS, the bedroom where I sprayed this in the morning still smells lovely that evening. Never would I like the strength of this scent changed. I hate NEEDING to reapply. I don't mind reapplying if I WANT to but NEEDING to reapply after spending so much on some of my more expensive perfumes really peeves me off. Clinique Happy, when worn correctly, is a lovely scent and the men in my family love it as does my daughter. I do prefer the Perfume spray over the creams in this scent - as I do like the way that light spritz in the air falling upon my body wears throughout the day versus applied directly to my body (as you would with cream). I miss terribly the shampoo and conditioner that was out very briefly and wish that they would make an antiperspirant/deodorant for woman like they do for the men. I love so many perfumes but if I need something that wears well and long and is so universally loved (when worn correctly and not overspritzed) - this is the one I reach for.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Clinique Happy is a citrusy, easy, breezy, fragrance. I wear this fragrance on occasion, but have never purchased a bottle because I usually receive this in a GWP.

The first spritz, is a blast of citrus. Drydown is a citrus (smell orange and apple) with a light touch of musk, and a hint of florals in the background.

Last year noticed a baby doll head smell during middle notes and drydown, but it's a mild baby doll scent. I don't always smell it, but am chalking it up to hormonal changes .I am at that age. However, still enjoy wearing Happy because it's a light, fresh, "happy" fragrance. It is a sunshiny day in a bottle.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think I was literally one of the first people to ever try Happy when it first came out all those years ago. I bought several bottles in my early to mid twenties, and then kind of grew tired of the scent...Fast forward many years later: last Summer, a lady walked past me and I was 99.9999999% sure she was wearing Clinique Happy (it is just a scent you remember and instantly recognize, at least for me) , and I decided to try it again. Obviously, the scent is all the same as I remember it...Very citrus-smelling, a great daytime and Spring or Summer scent, or possibly even a casual Summer evening. A light-hearted, 'happy' scent. Great to lift a mood. Obviously not a scent I reach for when the mood will be 'more serious,' I like a deeper scent for those 'more serious' moments and days. This also is I think best for younger gals, which I suppose is why I wore it in my early to mid twenties before tiring of it at the time. Although I think this is just a light scent that could be nice for any age, just a 'happy' scent! :) Dry down for me is the same as when first applied and I get a good 12 or more hours of wear out of this. Definitely lasts all day. But due to the strong citrus scent and some of the notes, this may not be great for the workplace or tight or close quartered areas, as I think some of the notes may trigger allergic responses. But for a day of shopping, coffee with girlfriends, attending an outdoor wedding, or a festival, etc; I think this is great for those types of places. It really does make me 'happy' when I wear this! :)