Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

on 2/23/2018 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've owned this palette for a about a year now but I've only recently started using it regularly. The reason being that this is the first palette I ever purchased and I was utterly clueless about how to properly apply eyeshadow!

Countless YouTube videos and tutorials later, I've finally learned how to blend and what works for me and let me tell you, this palette makes it so much easier. The shades are blendable and mostly smooth and the warm colours are gorgeous on my dark brown eyes.

I also love that you can get a neutral look or really vamp it up depending on which shades you use. Therefore I find myself reaching for this palette almost everyday and it's my all-time favourite Sephora purchase!

I took off one lippie because of the packaging - I wish the palette had a magnetic closure or something, so I could travel with it. I also wish the body of the palette wasn't in pink velour-type material because it gets soooooo dirty. Also, the brush that comes with it is meh.. but that's to be expected I suppose!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really love these colours. They are absolutely gorgeous. Despite being oft-imitated, this is the still the best out of all the red-based palettes I've tried. The only reason I deducted a lippie is that some of the shadows do have fallout and I don't find the oranges to be quite as blendable as I'd like. Other than that, I have no complaints and I'd still buy this again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use [The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette].

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the very few "mad raves" cosmetic products I've tried that has lived up to it's hype for me. I've been strict and removed a lippie as you only get 8g of product in this palette, which is very stingy considering the £43 price tag.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This was one of my first high end palette I purchases and I would say it was a good one! The colors are perfect they add color to your eyeshadow routine without being to colorful. The pinks and berries and the beautiful red works well together or with the oranges which are perfect for transition colors. They are pigmented and more powdery and dry than creamy but they blend very nicely. I would definitely recommend this palette.

on 12/24/2017 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really didn't have much interest in this all year, mostly because I went crazy this year and have purchased at least 10 or 12 palettes(shameful!)... I picked it up this week on sale, and really am pleased with it...the shades are buttery, pigmented, and there are a lot of looks that can be created. It's a nice addition to my collection, and I definitely recommend... I really want to give it 3.5 stars just based on packaging alone lol, but I really can't because the shadows are fab .. I do love Anastasia products, but man their packaging is so cheap looking, especially for the price..I expect Morphe or Colour Pop to have cheap packaging based on their price point... No one beats Tarte for beautiful/luxe packaging.

on 12/10/2017 10:03:00 PM

The Modern Renaissance is one of my most-used palettes. The pinks and reds are a nice way of adding colours to an everyday look. Antique Bronze is a well loved shade as it is the perfect colour to deepen the outer V (&raw sienna is also used as my transition shade).
For my NC25-30 skin-tone, I don't tend to use the 'Tempera', 'Golden Ochre' and 'Buon Fresco' as they barely show up on me and/or look dirty on my eyelids. This is a rather powdery palette but if applied slowly and in the steps of: 'grab a little bit of pigment, press onto lid, blend, add a bit more pigment, press onto lid, blend' you can easily build it up to your desired look. It is very fun to play with however I do only tend to use 5/6 of the shades. I find that 'Venetian Red' is just a mixture of 'Love Letter' and 'Red Ochre' and so I don't tend to use it. I do like the sleek packaging, however it does collect dirt and much of the kickback from the powdery-ness of the shadows. The brush is standard but gets dirty very quickly. Nice to have a mirror but I don't tend to use it. I like the shimmery shades 'Primavera' and 'Vermeer' as a highlighting the inner corner shade.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I truly enjoy this palette. Despite the crazy fallout, this palette is crazy pigmented and very easy to blend, hence the hype. I am particularly very picky when it comes to colour selection, and this palette offers you an actual variety of warm-pink-ish colour range, which is the current trend and right up my alley. My favourite shades are Tempera for highlight, Burnt Orange and Raw Sienna for transition colour, Red Ochre and Love letter on the lid and Cyprus Umber for outer corner (fancy names).

However, one lippie off for the packaging because it is not the most wise packaging. Mine is dirty within days, and I barely even touched it. If I create an eyeshadow palette with crazy pigmentation and fallout, suede would not be my material of choice.

I do really appreciate the brush. The packing brush is dense and soft, while the blending brush isn't as soft, it is still very usable.

on 9/18/2017 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

(I purchased this in June of 2016)

I go back and forth on my feelings on this palette. When I first purchased it I loved it, but I can admit it was a “spenders high” and I kept seeing it all over Instagram so I was excited to have it in my hands.

I like the shades Antique Bronze, Buon Fresco, Red Ochre and the two shimmer shades, Vermeer and Primavera. I started using Raw Sienna as a base color and I like the look of it. Realgar and Cypress Umber can be a pretty duo. I don’t really use the very light shades because they don’t show up on my skin but they can be ok for transitioning or softening your eye look.

One of the biggest problems I have with this is that the shadows are powdery and lose their vibrancy/pigmentation once blended. So then I have to keep going back and building them up.

The packaging is pretty but I should have held the tester in the store because I wouldn’t have bought it if I had known it was velvet even though the color is really pretty. (but that is lack of attention on my part)

After 4 months, due to the powder kick up from the shadows I already touched pan on them, before this palette the Chocolate Bar was the only palette I had for a whole year, used it every day and it took that whole year of using before I saw pan on any of those shadows. I felt that I had to force myself to use this palette so I wasn't a big fan. I ended up giving it away to a family member…who ended up giving it back to me after about 8 months lol.

After trying it again for a second time (since about August 2017) I like it a little bit more when I used the NYX Pencil in Milk to help the pigmentation. I use more flat eye brushes to pack on color and smaller blended brushes so I don’t have to do too much going back into the palette.

I’ve come to like this palette more to play with the orange and red shades and use them as accents. Even though its not my favorite I still enjoy opening up a few different palettes and going to town.

on 8/11/2017 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

The quality of these eyeshadows is outstanding. They blend beautifully and last on my lids longer than most eyeshadows. Very impressive actually. Usually my eyeshadow only lasts about 6-8 hrs but this eyeshadow can last hours longer. I do feel like a couple of the red shades are too similar. Also the price per gram is very high.

This palette has a nice colour selection. They appear to be very bold and bright, and they certainly can be, but can be extremely soft and natural as well. You can achieve great neutral, day time looks, but can go full glam or full dramatique and bold as well. It's very versatile.
The quality of the eyeshadows is amazing. They are soft, buttery, extremely pigmented and blend very effortlessly. The brush is great as well. Althought I imagined it to be bigger based on the videos and pictures I saw before purchasing it, I don't regret it. For the quality, the price tag is great. The shade primavera, btw, is an amazing shade for an upper lip/tip of the nose highlight. So ethereal looking.
In conclusion, this is an amazing palette to add to your collection. I believe you won't regret it.
The only downside, for me at least, is the packaging. Although the velvety packaging is gorgeous, it can get messy real quick. First time I used it, it was already stained. But except for that, it's great.