NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint

NARS Cosmetics Velvet matte skin tint
Velvet matte skin tint

3.1

Methyl Trimethicone, Alcohol, Water, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Lauryl Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Isododecane, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Calcium Carbonate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Triethoxycarprylylsilane, Aluminium Hydroxide, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Hydroxyapatite, Tochopheryl Acetate, Rosa Multiflora Fruit Extract, Ascorbryl Tetraisopalmitate, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, [ /- Titanium Dioxide (Cl77891), Iron Oxide (CL77491), Iron Oxide (Cl77492), Iron Oxides (Cl77499)]

on 9/15/2016 8:22:00 AM

One of the worst foundations I ever bought ( 2nd worst is Loreal colour match) was recommended to me buy shop assistant , and to be honest I have a strong feeling that we picked Alaska as a shade and it was a good coverage went a bit unsettled but I thought that maybe is the lack of powder. When I came home and used it for about 2 days I noticed that my foundation is very pale and I saw that I have Finland(which I think is the palest shade you can get) so I think shop assistant made a mistake and put the wrong shade for me instead of Alaska. I couldn't return it as I already used it, but decided to give it a try. On my skin it goes very cakey , doesn't cover much and I could see it on my hair line but the worst thing about it that I instantly have break outs from it ! + the smell is awful smells like some medicine for me.So be careful buying it , ask for tester before you do. 0.5/5

I have combination skin, which is quite dry around the chin and nose. Firstly - NARS Sheer Glow was my first ever foundation and I loved it, until my skin started getting drier when I had breakouts (I know - doesn't make sense to me either) and I just found it clung to the dry patches. I bought the Velvet Matte after having used BareMinerals Original for years (without ever really liking the finish - it just was the only thing that didn't break me out) and deciding I wanted to go back to a liquid formula.

Lots of reviews said how light and gentle this is, and it's non-comedogenic to boot which is vital for me. I have to be honest - I used a BeautyBlender and got absolutely amazing coverage. Yes, it was light and I still needed to use some concealer on spots/discolouration/under my eyes, but it just had such a lovely finish.

You may be wondering why I've only given it 1* if it was so great.. Well, this is probably a very isolated case (and when I went into a store the SA said I most likely had an allergic reaction) but for a non-comedogenic base, it caused me to break out and get my first ever bout of cystic acne. I've had closed comedonal acne on my forehead since I was about 14, but with diet/water intake/occasional antibiotic solutions from my GP it was manageable and didn't really notice or bother me. I used the Velvet Matte for this first time in May. It's now late August and I'm still getting over the initial breakout. It's nowhere near as violent/painful as it was back when I was still (stupidly) using the product back in June and the oral antibiotics I started taking in July are slowly helping.

I do have quite sensitive skin anyway, but the only advise I can give is that you GET A SAMPLE and try it for 3 days successively before you buy. I now find my skin is hypersensitive to most brands - probably more as a result of the treatments I've been having to help my skin rather than NARS' product - and seriously regret ever purchasing this without sampling it first. Even my old-faithful BareMinerals is too harsh for me now. Oh well - I'm getting used to the au naturelle look, which is helping my skin anyway. Just beware of this formula if you do have sensitive skin.

on 8/4/2016 6:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Everyone seem to love this foundation but me. It didn´t work for me att all. Just stays on top of my skin and looks tacky. Have tried different moisturizers under it and it still looks horrible. My large pores and acne-scars also look worse. It also made my face look a little swollen, I suspect I'm allergic to something in it. Will never purchase again. I bought it because my skin is oily in the summer and the BB creams I usually use were too shiny.

on 7/29/2016 8:11:00 AM

Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint is surrounded by the most conflicting information I have ever encountered. Some say it's a super sheer BB-cream while others insist it's a heavy, full coverage foundation. Half of the users praise its blendability while the rest states its not blendable at all. Even the sunscreen in it gets mixed reviews (too low according to Paula's Choice, although it does boast a quite high UVA rating). I can only stand for my opinion on it, which is the following:
- No, it's not a tinted moisturizer. As such, you would be (theoretically) able to use it generously on its own without prep, with your hands, but without being overly precise. The finish would be sheer. Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint is far to thick and saturated to use like this, and the end result would be something heavily opaque and mask like.
- I employ a Real Technique brush for application; still it takes effort not to get swirls and streaks in the finished result. Quite a lot of effort I would say, even with the help of fingers.
- It does have a velvety finish IF and WHERE you manage to get it even. I use the shade Finland, which is a wonderful, creamy ivory. Impressively, it stays that way - no oxidation in sight!
- Staying power is great indeed and goes beyond almost everything I've tried. The formula grabs on and basically doesn't let go (when tested without primer on a hot July day in Capri). I do think this Nars launch is suitable for oilier skin types, however, there is a propensity for the dreaded "polka dot pores". The product also sets into pasty "C"s around the nose if you're not particularily careful.
- Alcohol. Second ingredient but first hand conflict in the skin care community. The jury is still out on whether denatured etanol is harmful for the dermis. It never causes irritation on me, but if this is a concern for you, Nars Matte Tint may have to be avoided.
- Chemical sunscreen. If used mainly as UV protector, you would have to use so much of the product it wouldn't look acceptable.
- Smart and neat looking packaging, superior to heavy glass bottles and messy pumps.
I found it difficult to unequivocally bash this foundation. It clearly has plenty of strengths, but these are followed by some down sides that are hard to neglect. Maybe in the end it comes down to expectation; someone looking for a light, ultra skin like moisturizer with a tint would be disappointed, while a light handed and meticulous MUA-member that hearts the matte and don't mind the foundation to show a bit would treasure this creation.

on 7/27/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought the Velvet Matte Skin Tint by mistake in Seychelles at first but the best color for me is Malaga because of its yellow undertones. I use Malaga on my face and neck and use Seychelles for any scars on my chest.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and/or if it's because of my hormone-regulating and oiliness-regulating IUD coil but the Velvet Matte Skin Tint has maintained its integrity on my face during the summer entirely without turning into a greasy, shiny mess slipping and sliding all around the place. I think it's quite good actually so far.

MAC NC45, Fashion Fair Butterscotch, Bobbi Brown Warm Almond, NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint Malaga

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is what I've always been looking for! I like the regular TM but my skin is way too oily for it, especially during the summer. This is basically a matte version of that. It does everything that the classic Nars TM does for me except it doesn't get shiny. No, it doesn't provide much coverage, but that's kind of the point. It's quick and easy to apply and looks natural but blurs imperfections. For reference, I'm really picky about foundations and my other favorites are: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Estée Lauder Double Wear, and Dior Airflash. My skin is acne prone and also prone to oiliness and dehydration (at the same time, dehydration leads to excess oil).

The texture and finish of this product is really nice, and I love that it doesn't have any coconut-derived ingredients, so it never broke me out. Unfortunately, it just did not last on my skin. I tried it a few different ways:

- Over my Shiseido sunscreen
- Over Josie Maran Argan Milk
- Over Shiseido SS + Hourglass primer
- Over Shiseido SS + a thin layer of Laura Mercier loose powder

Any way that I tried this stuff, it just did not have lasting power. I'm also not particularly oily-skinned...I'd say right now I'm combo at the most. Ended up returning it, but I don't think it was a bad product, and you actually get quite a bit of it for the price. Nice packaging too.

on 7/21/2016 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this because the Pure Radiant one was sold out in my colour. You don't need much of this, maybe a drop. Learned this the hard way. I apply this with clean hands. I found this way the best to apply and it had the nicest finish. It is matte, but not fully matte. After a couple of hours I do get shiny, but this doesn't bother me. Fix it up with some powder and you're good to go. It looks like your skin but a bit better. Very natural, but still medium to full coverage. I love that there is so much SPF in this as well.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I can see why some people wouldn't like this product but i really absolutely love it - just it has to be used right. This is a full coverage foundation but is pretty much weightless on the skin and is oil free leaving a matte finish. I wouldn't say it stays matte on my skin - since I have combination skin my t zone area does get oily and without powder there is some shine throughout the day. I also feel like if I apply too much (since it is medium-full coverage) then it can look cakey and exaggerate the texture of my skin.
What I like to do though is mix a bit of this with one drop of my organic argan oil and it produces such a beautiful glow on my skin. I really like this product, but yes do be careful when applying too much. I would say it's very weightless and perfect for everyday use. The consistency feels more like a bb cream rather than a foundation, but the finish is that of a foundation. I also love the Nars shade matching in general. But I would not recommend this to anyone with dry skin.

This is a good product for those with oily skin but without any blemishes or spots as it just doesn't provide enough coverage, even with multiple layers.
And the worst part is how quickly it oxidises. I purchased the lightest shade, Terre-Neuve light 0, and within 5 minutes it turns orange.
I wouldn't purchase it again, especially for the price ($65 in AUD)