CeraVe Healing Ointment

CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.5

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

on 3/3/2016 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I found this to be far superior to Vaseline or Aquaphor after a chemical peel and a little bit goes a long way. It FEELS like it moisturizes and penetrates through the dry, ready to peel layers...which makes sleeping at night much easier (and I could smile and talk without cracking). It's not as sticky as Vaseline, which is nice when you have big, fluffy cats in the house. It's not completely tackless, but I didn't feel like I was "slugging" it, as with Vaseline.

I wasn't a fan of this for my lips, as I found it didn't last as long as my HG nighttime lip treatment of lanolin. I also wasn't a fan of this for under my eyes as an eye cream (my original purpose for purchase). It didn't last through my face smooshing sleep sessions (oh, seriously, I TRY to sleep on my back, I really do!). Lanolin or my favorite Shiseido Wrinkle Resist 24 eye cream is more effective at not only softening the fine lines, but staying put all night, too.

I will absolutely keep purchasing this as long as I continue with chemical peels. It's good stuff!

So Happy ! I have been trying everything this winter: torn cuticles: hang-nails: ripped up nails. All painful and on-going.
The only CeraVe I use is the plain old lotion: I use it all over, and it is the most successful night-time moisturizer for my face. I'd love to be able to afford to go back to Estee Lauder Verite Cream....but....just too much money....as is almost everything else !
I wonder about this for one's face ? It absorbs beautifully into my hands and lips, so I do think I will give it a try.
The short time I have been using this I have already experienced pain relief, and my cuticles are already healing: the hang-nails will take longer....but I am happy that I got the two small containers as I can carry one so easily everywhere I wander. I hope to go back and get the other two sizes and relentlessly use it so that my hands never end up this bad again. It's awful. So I think this is another great product from CeraVe, and certainly Much better than either Vaseline or Aquaphor, although it has the same % of petroleum jelly as Aquaphor. (actually I think a bit more).

on 2/28/2016 8:50:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love this ointment much better than aquaphore, as it goes in quicker. This heals and coats better. This has petroleum, but also mineral oil and paraffine with ceramides and hyaluronic acid and Vit E. On dry skin it goes in really fast. On wet skin it's amazing but take longer but nothing crazy. Not sure why it works so well, but I am super happy with it.

I had this callus on my hand that was also eczema and bright red and painful to touch. I put this one and it went in and didn't get all over my key board. A few hours later it was so much better and I showed my husband who was amazed. The callus and those lttle dry bits of skin near the nails and flaps of dead skin on my hands instantly stopped hurting. Great on foot callus. I hate walking out of the bathroom all greasy from vaseline. My callus is pretty much gone stayed under control all week without my scrapping and pumicing.

it's hard to press out of the tube it's so dense but you don't need much. Make a nice lip blam too. It comes in big tubes and tubs and small tubes. I tink a travel size be nice to carry in your purse.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love all CeraVe products, so when I saw this I had to pick it up and try it out, and I am SOLD! I previously was a die-hard Aquaphor fan, but I have totally switched over to CeraVe. This stuff is a lot less greasy than Aquaphor, and doesn't leave my body sticky. It also leaves my body feeling moisturized/not itchy for days longer than Aquaphor does (I also didn't realize before that Aquaphor had lanolin alcohol in it). This doesn't break me out on my face. This works great as a lip balm as well, it really sinks into my lips and leaves them incredibly soft. All in all, I love this product so much more than Aquaphor because it moisturizes my skin better without leaving that super sticky feeling. This comes in all of the sizes Aquaphor sells as well, big tubs and travel tubes.

Update: I don't think I'm going to repurchase this, since it really is just fancy Vaseline (CeraVe is $21, Vaseline is $3).

on 2/2/2016 10:27:00 PM

I love this!! Although I had acne-prone skin when I was younger, since hitting my mid-50s, my face has become extremely dry, sensitive and I have developed eczema on my nose and eyelids. Cortisone creams would clear it up, but it always returned within days of stopping the cortisone, and long- term use of steroids on the face is not a good idea (thins the skin). Creams had no effect. Aquaphor would help, but the eczema never completely cleared up, and my face was left greasy and shiny (unattractive without make-up, but I also couldn't use make-up right over the greasy surface). This ointment is working as well as the cortisone creams, without the steroid side effects (I assume because of the ceramides, which have a reputation for being helpful for eczema). Ointments are greasier than creams, but this one goes on a bit less greasy than Aquaphor and then absorbs to a nice matte finish that is much more attractive. (Those who complain about greasiness that persists more than a few minutes may be using too much - less than a pea sized amount works for me.) It has not caused me any breakouts, but that might have been a problem when I was younger. I use the ointment only on the eczema-prone areas twice a day, immediately after washing my face with Cerave hydrating cleanser (because it doesn't foam up, which tends to dry skin, it works well for me) and while it is still a little damp, and use a regular moisturizer for the rest of my face. Having said all this, I highly recommend this product, but primarily for those with sensitive or eczema-prone skin, not for all-over moisturizing for most people, and probably not for the acne-prone.

on 1/27/2016 9:53:00 PM

Similar to Aquaphor but with the addition of ceramids. Ceramids in the CeraVe products really make a difference. They are essential components of your skin's structure and function. Feels slightly less greasy on my skin than Aquaphor. Wonderful on my lips!!! Has no discernible smell. A bit pricey but even the smaller 3 oz. tube will last a long time. I find it best for overnight use except on my lips where I use it whenever I need a little moisture. I only wish it lasted a bit longer on my lips, but then again, nothing really does.
I wish CeraVe would come out with an actual lip balm but until then, this is great stuff!

on 1/27/2016 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Every since I hit my mid-40's my skin has been doing some HUGE changes especially during the winter time. This year, I experienced the worst dry skin around my lips. *Back story* I recall seeing a coworker with terribly red, chapped lips and couldn't understand why that was happening to her. So I swore this was my bad karma for staring at her.

Anywho, a trip to my local Walgreen's and the cosmetic counter was giving away samples if I checked out there, so, of course, I was going to and the is was my free gift - the CeraVe Healing Ointment.

My lips love it, the skin around my nose loves it and the skin right darn near my tear duct appreciates it SO much! I have thought about regular vaseline, but to me, that product has always felt so heavy.

5 lippies for this product!

on 1/21/2016 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought the small tube of this. It is a petroleum jelly / mineral / silicone based product. It is an "ointment" that is more emollient than plain old Vaseline and way less thick than Aquaphor. It seems to absorb nicely into my skin. I have used it on my chapped lips (have NOT used it under lipstick though) & on the skin around the outside of my eyes. These are two areas that get really dry in the winter for me. I don't think this would replace Aquaphor or Vaseline (not for me) because they both have benefits/purpose that the CeraVe does not offer. Sometimes I need the thick, not budging, goopiness of Aquaphor. Also sometimes I need the one ingredient simplicity of Vaseline. But the CeraVe ointments does have ceramides and is something I would use more as an evening spot moisturizer (I have not had the guts to slather this all over my face.). Again, my favorite place to use this is on my dry crows feet area and my lips. If you are curious about this, buy the little tube first to try so you don't get stuck with the tub.

Also, please pay attention to the first line of this review and the ingredients in the "ingredient" section. If you have issues with Mineral Oil, Petroleum Jelly, Dimethicone, or Vitamin E - probably wouldn't touch this stuff. It is in a petroleum jelly base, so I am sure there will be a lot of "it's just glorified Vaseline" comments. But, this has other benefits (ceramides, Vitamin E) that plain old Vaseline does not have. I have dry, sensitive skin and have had no breakouts or irritations.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edited at the bottom with additional research and info.

------------------
I want to be straight up that I only started using this very recently. Therefore my review is not 100% finished. I like this product now, but I am suspicious.

So far...so good. I have been using EltaMD Intense moisturizer and I love it. However, EltaMD is very simple when it comes to the ingredient list (petrolatum, paraffin). That clearly has worked for me, but I wanted to give the new Cerave competing product a try. Why? Honestly because Cerave is one of the very few drugstore lines to incorporate ceramides into their products. Ceramides are AWESOME for your skin's barrier.

This is a very thick moisturizer. Cerave Healing Ointment didn't melt onto my skin the way EltaMD Intense does. Instead you have to buff it into the skin for several minutes. It feels like I applied lip gloss to my entire face, but I feel this way about any petrolatum based moisturizer. The sticky/tacky feeling is well worth it to me if it comes with trapping in moisture and protecting my skin.

If I end up breaking out like a volcano I'll know *for sure* that it's due to the vitamin e in this. Only time will tell. I will be updating this review until I reach a final verdict. Here is a full ingredient list:

---------
1/4/2016: 3 days in and as I suspected, the vitamin e in this clogging my pores. I'm anticipating a nasty break out. :( This sucks since Cerave really is one of the very few to add in ceramides. If *you* can tolerate vitamin e and the other ingredients - I'd urge you to try this. It DOES do an amazing job at locking in moisture and keeping skin supple. I'm seething with jealousy over those of you that aren't acne-prone.

As for the rest of my tub... looks like I have a lifelong supply of lip balm and perhaps eye cream. As long as my eye area doesn't develop milia using this (undereye area is way less susceptible to acne). We shall see.

Back to EltaMD Intense I go!
-------------------
1/7/2016 edit: Yes my skin did infact break out like a volcano. :( I resumed my prior skincare routine and the blemishes are going away. But damn... imagine if I didn't catch this so quickly?

This ointment is too emollient to stay on my lips at night, so I use it as an eye/neck/hand cream after dampening the areas.

I honestly might repurchase it for that reason alone. My hands/neck/eye area look awesome and aren't as break out prone. HOWEVER the *only* advantage I find that this ointment has over vaseline ingredient-wise is the ceramides. Ceramides however, much to my surprise, can not be absorbed by the skin. So the long term effects are only coming from having added moisture. Ugh. I'd be better off using niacinamide because that actually does help the skin produce more ceramides.

I think I will experiment a bit more with vaseline vs cerave healing ointment, then report back my results.