CeraVe Healing Ointment

CeraVe Healing Ointment
Healing Ointment

4.5

Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Ozokerite, Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Panthenol, Water, L-Proline, Xanthan Gum

on 9/6/2017 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought a tube of this almost two years ago and used it off and on for moisturizing wherever needed. Earlier this year I was watching a video by Dr. Dray on YT and she said to use a swipe of this on the upper eye area, below the brows, to protect from sunscreen, or retin-a , from sliding into the eyes. So I started using this ointment to protect my eyes from getting sunscreen in them , a real problem since I have oily skin and that helps SS or makeup slide down my face, over the course of the day and it works! That alone makes this stuff very valuable in my book. I also use this from time to time as an eye and fine line cream where needed on my face and it works wonderfully well for that. The fact that this has ceramides as well as panthenol and hyaluronic acid makes it a really great moisturizer and not just an occlusive sealant like Vaseline or other mineral oil based products. If used for just the eye area this ointment is an amazing bargain. Will always keep a tube of this in my stash and would give ten lippies if I could! Great product!

on 9/6/2017 5:49:00 PM

I can't fully explain why this stuff is so much better than Aquaphor or Vaseline, but it really is the best of the bunch. I use this in all kinds of ways: as a lip balm, eye cream, cuticle balm, over a healing tattoo, to eradicate Retin A-induced dryness, to heal scrapes and razor burn, on all of my kids' boo-boos. It is more sheeny, less greasy than the other petroleum-based ointments in this category. Plus the tube packaging is mess-free and hygienic.

About $13 for a large 5 oz tube if you buy from Amazon.

This will give you angel skin! As a moisturizer for night, it's not going to be cosmetically ideal. You really have to slather it on, but the morning results are worth it! I highly recommend it for anyone on Retin-A because it will eliminate the flakiness entirely. It's also great as a pm eye cream. And the price is perfect!

on 5/12/2017 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

For ages, the last thing I would do before I fall off to sleep at night, is slather Aquaphor on my lips. I'm a lipstick wearer who has always lived in dry climates. Even when my skin is oily, my lips get dry, cracked, and/or chapped within an hour of being product-free. My lips were like this as a child, too, so I can't blame lipstick or age; I just have lips that easily dry out. CeraVe Cleansers (especially SA), and some CeraVe moisturizers, are staples of mine, so I was excited to use CeraVe Healing Ointment. It seems like lip care ought to be brought into the 21st century at last. (Aquaphor has been around since 1925!). There was a time I wanted to glamour up my routine, so I used Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream. It took a couple of years for me to admit it smells horrible and really doesn't do anything Aquaphor doesn't do. So my lip care never got beyond early 20th century. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it has yet. Maybe 48.5% Petrolatum is just too low for my lips. While I love the texture of CeraVe Healing Ointment, and it's phenomenal on elbows, knees, itches, rough spots, etc., it's not impressive as a lip protectant. It seems to "thin" very quickly on my lips. When I rub them together, instead of spreading, like Aquaphor, CeraVe dissolves a little. Aquaphor lasts throughout the night so my lips are soft in the morning. The only way I've been able to keep the CHO on my lips all night is to reapply it several times.Perhaps there's an adjustment period to a different type of therapy. Or perhaps my lips absorb the ointment and would be soft in the morning, as opposed to being coated with Aquaphor. CHO claims to be "non-greasy" but I wonder what it's being compared to in order to inspire that description. Lard? If not all-out "greasy", it's definitely "oily", and it takes quite a while to absorb into skin. Don't get it in your hair unless you like your tresses limp and flat.

I use Cerave's Healing Ointment as a moisturizer. I use it on my lips, feet, elbows, and around my eyes after I use a regular moisturizer at night. I use it I use it to treat period episodes of eczema. I used to use Aquaphor, but Cerave Healing Ointment has ceramides, it's texture is less greasy, and it dries down faster than Aquaphor. I bought the 12-oz tub and use a makeup spatula to transfer it to smaller clean containers; thereby, reducing the chance of contamination of the large tub. IMO, it's a terrific value.

on 4/26/2017 5:56:00 PM

This is similar to Vaseline, but with beneficial ingredients. I have been using this around my eye area at night for added moisture & on my lips. I have seen awesome improvement in my lips. They don't appear dry or cracked looking. They look smooth & hydrated. It's like my little lip wrinkles are gone. What a nice surprise😊

on 3/31/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I purchased the 3 oz tube and recently purchased 0.35 (10g) x2 package from Walgreens. I prefer using this rather than using Vaseline or Aquaphor.

CeraVe seems silkier, more watery which feels great on my lips - I don't use this anywhere else except for lips.

Tiny tube is prefect size for throwing in your purse/traveling.

I use this everyday and my lips are very soft and moist.

Cerave Healing Ointment is an occlusive that goes beyond simply locking in moisture. It also has ceramides, cholesterol and hyaluronic acid to repair skin, as well as emollients including mineral oil, silicone, and waxes. This ointment is really thick in the tube, and can even be difficult to squeeze out, but once you run it onto your skin it can be thinned out and is less greasy than Vaseline and aquaphor. I've used this on healing wounds, scars, and dry skin on my face. When I apply it to my face I use it as the last step after other moisturizers at night and in the morning my dry patches are gone and my whole face is moisturizer. I haven't gotten any breakouts using this on my face but if you are sensitive to mineral oil you may want to spot test this before applying it all over. Overall this is a great multitasker to have on hand. It's at a great price point, and even the packaging is convenient.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like keeping an ointment around because sometimes I feel I need to resort to the heavy duty needs of a petroleum based product to heal up a round of severely chapped or dry skin, but some ointment blends are greasy feeling and unpleasant. When CeraVe came out with this, I had to try it because the few CeraVe products I have tried (moisturizing cream & pm facial) are good products for moisturizing and have some beneficial ingredients, and CeraVe's healing ointment has some as well.
I find this blend to be a lot less greasy feeling than that other well-known healing ointment, to the point I can use it on my hands with no greasy feel, and on my face as well as it doesn't feel as greasy or heavy as petroleum products feel. I also have the habit of running my hands through my hair a lot and I have to be careful of what I use on my hands because it will end up in my hair; this absorbs better and doesn't transfer off into my fine hair and leave it looking oily. No fragrance too - I don't understand why anyone would put fragrance in something that is medicinal and aimed at a healing product.
My only complaint is it is becoming hard to find the 3 oz tube (my preferred size) with an expiration date beyond a year. A little goes a long way and a tube lasts me 6+ months. But the .35 oz tube can be found all over the place and I recommend you get the small tube to see if you will like this.

I have been using this on my face around my cheeks & eye area (just the ever so slightest amount & not on the eye lids) because I am experiencing a bit of unexpected seasonal dryness (more so from indoor air conditioning) and have been getting compliments that my skin looks fresh and glowing. It also doesn't make my concealer shift around either!
I have been continuing to use this throughout the winter and feel it could be my HG moisturizer, a thin coat both night and day does wonders for my very dry skin. I hate waking up with dry, tight skin, and this prevents that. A thin coat under my foundation again prevents my skin from feeling dry as most foundations are formuated to absorb oil (the opposite of what dry skin types need) and this allows me to use full coverage foundations without looking cakey, and as a bonus it helps it spread out better. I’ve read that vaseline used to be a beauty secret to make skin look fresh and dewey, and this definitely does that!

on 2/11/2017 2:27:00 PM

I love this stuff! I heard about it on the doctor radio derm show, where it was described a being like Aquaphor, but more elegant. Yes, it is an ointment, but it absorbs well. I use about a large pea size amount as a night cream, and about half that in the morning if my skin feels dry. It absorbs completely in about 15 minutes. My skin looks luminous, never greasy, in the mornings. I've always had large pores, and whiteheads on my chin, and those conditions seem improved. I wouldn't expect this cream to improve pores. I carry trial tubes everywhere and bought a large tube for home. I've never tried La Mer, but have seen review that this product is similar.