Avon Little Black Dress

3.7

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Another one of the good fragrances that use to be.....I still have a bottle of this one too, maybe 2 bottles? I use to wear this one almost every day but.....as with every perfume... I got tired of the smell and moved on. I do like this perfume. It reminds me of very rich and well dressed women. I do not know why that is, but it does. I rarely wear this fragrance anymore. I think I grew out of it. It is a stronger perfume and wears for a long time. The smell seems to lighten up after a couple of hours, but then after another hour or so, it seems to strengthen again. I would re-buy it if I ever run out. It does have it's place on any fine lady's vanity

I really liked this when I first got it but it wore on me pretty quickly. I still like it, it's a nice fragrance, sultry and sophisticated yet fun but definitely a "once in a while" fragrance for me. I find that a little bit of it is more than enough so my small bottle will last quite a while. I really liked the bottle design though, very classy. It sure didn't last long though, I still give it a 4. Many of Avons fragrance are stinkers but this was one of the better ones IMO. I might repurchase this if it was still available, only in a small bottle though.

Initially I was a little disappointed in this perfume, because I wanted more apricot, more floral, and more spice. I don't care for the first few minutes of Little Black Dress, but I must admit that when it has settled down a bit, it's very subtle and pretty. It's not a favourite but it's growing on me. For now my little roller-ball applicator will suffice, and I don't plan to buy more, but if it goes on a really good sale I may change my mind.

Edited to add a lippie and to say that I would, in fact, buy this product again. I must like this more than I had initially thought, because I'm almost through my roll-on and it's only been a couple of months. That's rather quick for me. It seems to be a rather good compromise scent for when it's not too hot or too cold out, and I can't decide whether to wear a warm scent or a floral.

i got this in special edition which is said to be more concentrated and will last longer. i was surprised at how cheap looking the bottle is. the original version looks a lot better. i bought this thinking this would a flirty sexy kind of a scent but i find it to be too warm and musky and potentially a headache inducer coz of the really strong and overpowering scent. definitely not ideal for everyday wear.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A soft, creamy floral with oriental warmth and a hint of apricot blossom. It came out in 2001 and is still selling strong. I'd describe it as an everyday modern classic - soft, elegant, no harsh notes. Its very long-lasting (8 hours on me) but people have described it as soft and nice, a good one to wear in the background without overpowering. Men seem to like this one. The thing about this perfume is it is this so wearable and long lasting its a good one for everyday. Other perfumes might be more exciting, but then again, your fantastic new "love-em" scent is often other peoples cloying "hate-em" irritation! A simply elegant, reliable finishing touch to complete your grooming.

Some people say that Little Black dress is like "Vera Wang", or Sarah Jessica Parker's "Covet". I haven't tried those, but think its like Elizabeth Taylor's "Forever Elizabeth", but more fruity and less cloying.

Top notes - ginger, coriander, cyclamen, jasmine, apricot blossom + some say honeysuckle
Middle notes - pink peony, gardenia, ylang-ylang, some say jasmine
Base notes - musk, japanese plum, sandalwood and tonka beans.

Wow. I got my bottle a month ago and was absolutely amazed to discover that this fragrance NOW lasts about 20 min before it completely vanishes. I say NOW because i had this fragrance a few years ago and back then it lasted and lasted and lasted, maybe 6 to 8 hours. The smell itself is nice, flowery, sweet, slightly spicy.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Subtle and sophisticated is how I would describe this fragrance. Although the price is dirt cheap compared to high-end perfumes, I feel very "expensive" when I wear this! It really doesn't feel like I'm wearing an "Avon" fragrance. Also I've gotten a number of compliments on it. Would definitely buy this again, it's really timeless.

EDIT: I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm not as enamoured of this fragrance as I previously was! I find that after a while it makes me feel a bit ill...probably won't repurchase now. :(

I like it. Did it smell like Caress body wash to anyone else...that is the first thing I thought and I do like that scent so I would re-purchase.

Little Black Dress = SEXY. It's very sultry and sophisticated.

I agree with bojana in that I can wear this everyday and never tire of it. It just sings to me. I can't believe only 50% of reviewers would buy again.
Men seem to really love this one.

One of my favorite fragrances of all time.

I was looking forward to this one, but I must say I'm a little disappointed. This is NOT a bad a fragrance, not at all. it's subtle and classy, a hint of gentle floral and beautiful vanilla, but everything perfectly balanced. If you want to play safe this is perfect.
However, I can hardly feel it on my skin, it must be the body chemistry thing. It's there, long lasting, but I wouldn't notice it if I didn't know I sprayed it on my wrist. I'm an oriental fan so this is nothing strange.
I'd recommend this for other people to try on their skin before buying, but it's a wonderful fragrance indeed.

Popular Fragrances