Mario Badescu Drying Mask

Mario Badescu Drying Mask

3.7

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua),Kaolin,Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Starch, Calamine,Ichthammol,Propylene Glycol, Colloidal Sulfur, Titanium Dioxide 5/20/09

on 5/26/2011 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got the drying mask as a sample from mario badescu. I don't really know what I think of it...it works kinda, but not as much as I thought I would. It smells pretty gross. I have to leave it on for waaay longer than the recommended time, I leave it on for about 30 mins to an hour, when it says you only need to for 15-20 minutes, and even then it doesn't shrink up my zits remarkably. I might get it as a sample again from them, but I would never pay any money for it.

on 5/25/2011 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

it's my favorite mask of all the masks that I've used! i can see results within one use! breakouts are slightly reduced with just one use but this kinda dries out my skin, and it doesn't just go off after i clean my face. i can actually see the product seeping into my pores for some reason. the smell is really horrible, but you'll get used to it eventually. but one thing that i noticed is that this product is actually not that effective when I leave it on overnight. it becomes really, like a normal mask? i don't know, but it's a must-have!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The Drying Mask is one of those things that you have to decide what's more important: the smell or the results. Most products that do not have an added fragrance are hardly likely to have a pleasing smell to them, and Mario Badescu's Drying Mask is no exception. On good days, I think it smells like dirt. On bad days, like old cigarettes. Of course, I don't use it for perfume, I use it to improve my complexion and it does do that. However, like any product, you cannot use it once and expect to see miraculous, long lasting results. Masks are meant as intense treatments, and these require repetition to produce real improvement. I've used this mask since I was about seventeen, when my skin began having terrible breakouts. I added Mario Badescu's Drying Mask and Whitening Mask to my routine (I use Cetaphil Cleanse and Cream, Neutrogena Gentle Daily Scrub, and a prescription Clindamycin 1% Solution). My breakouts increased initially (after the first two uses of the two masks) but then gradually decreased until stopping entirely after about two months. I use the Drying Mask five times a week for thirty minutes, following directly by the Whitening Mask for 30 minutes (any residue left by the Drying Mask is effectively removed by the Whitening Mask, which has exfoliating and moisturizing properties). It took about four months of steady use before my skin began to balance out, but it finally did (I don't have an oily face in the mornings or during the day anymore, even after using my Cetaphil cream, and I no longer breakout). It isn't a sign of a good mask if it strips your skin of oil and dries it out for some 24 hours, that's simply over drying your skin, and it will only cause it to produce more oil. Mario's Drying mask works, I believe, because it dries gently, without stripping away all of the skin's natural oils, and over time, it can help to balance out the complexion. This is why the Whitening Mask works so well as a follow-up; it's moisturizing, and lightly exfoliating, thereby removing the dried surface and moisturizing the newly exfoliated skin. Always follow up with your moisturizer prior to going to bed!

In short:

Pros: calming, reduces redness and swelling, helps to balance oily complexion without over drying (best if used in conjunction with the Whitening Mask, and needs to be used more than the recommended 3 days a week). Heals and helps to prevent breakouts.

Cons: the packaging is annoying (the seal carries away a descent amount of the mask with it, so you end up having to scrape it off and it's fairly messy), it's not cheap (around $24 w/ s/h), lasts about six-eight weeks, you have to leave it on longer than recommended (sometimes I leave it on as long as 45 minutes), and it works best when used with another mask (Whitening Mask), which runs you another $25/6 weeks. The smell (The Whitening Mask smells amazing, but the Drying Mask can make you think you just walked out of a high school restroom).

For me, it's worth it, it's gentle, natural, and not packed with useless, irritating ingredients like fragrances.

on 4/19/2011 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Like the others the smell was my number one complaint. The second was it had a marshmellow consistency. Very thick. Third, after I washed it off my skin still felt like it had something on it. It did feel dry but only for the night and by morning my normal skin was back.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse

I don't know. I have used this once and it works. but the stink is wow... its incredibly bad. I had nose plugs and I still nearly threw up so something to consider!

Effectiveness: Good. I tested this out on an incipient cyst/nodule on my nose over the course of three nights with Buffering Lotion underneath a dab of the Drying Mask as a spot treatment left overnight. It's disappearing, which has never happened before when I've applied 5% BP. I know it's not a perfectly controlled experiment about the efficacy of this product, but the combination of Buffering Lotion and Drying Mask has worked for me this once.

I also applied it to a cyst that had come to a head. Don't know it it helped it dry out faster.

Cons: The smell. It's sulfur and it truly stinks. Since I apply it overnight, I can smell it for hours. However, considering the product has (probably) worked for me thus far, I don't mind it too much. If you have a very sensitive sense of smell, try dabbing or waving some aromatherapy oils under your nose.

on 2/9/2011 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It stinks. It works.

Yes it has a sulfur smell, and it really put me off at first, but having used the product, now I don't care, and I'm actually getting used to it.

I just started using this as a spot treatment. I usually get a pimple or two when I have my period. Other products have caused me more pimples or bumps, made my skin flaky, or they just haven't worked as well as this. One application of the Drying Mask, however, left on overnight, pretty much does the job for me. I typically use a tiny, tiny bit the next night or two, just to be sure, but in a day's time, what was a huge, self-conscious inducing pimple becomes a hardly noticeable spot, and it doesn't seem to bring more bumps on either.

I think this would be too drying for my sensitive and not all that oily skin if I used it as a full mask treatment, but to dry out a zit, this stuff works, (for me, even better than MB Silver Powder). MB are generous with their samples, so I would definitely recommend at try on this one.

EDIT: This product dried out WAAAAY too quickly - perhaps 1/4 in to the pot. I found myself having to add water to get it to any consistency that could be applied. This concerns me in terms of hygience - pots don't usually bother me, but the adding water does. I think they should sell it in much smaller sizes, and in tubes, perhaps.

As it is, what I have now is almost useless, and is going in the trash.

Will not re-purchase.

on 12/18/2010 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Past reviewers aren't kidding when they say this product smells more like something that goes in your car than on your face, and yes, the smell *is* pretty horrible. However, this product delivers.

I have very oily skin. If I sit still for an hour, my face can accumulate enough oil for a stir-fry, so I'm constantly on the hunt for something that will help me reduce the slick. MB's Drying Mask does just that. It leaves my skin healthier and less greasy throughout the day.

The best part is it's a great overnight spot treatment. I use a Q-tip to dab a spot of it on cysts or whiteheads and find that literally overnight, the Drying Mask will dry up the pimple.

Be mindful of your skin type. Unless you have very oily acne-prone skin, this product is probably not for you.

on 12/12/2010 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am onto my 3rd jar of the drying mask now. My skin is pretty good but my nose and chin area gets build up and black heads. I use this mask 1x a week to dry out any little zits and cleanse my face. If I go longer w/o using it, my face starts to feel too clogged up. It has a sulfur smell when you wash it off, but I don't mind it. this is a staple in my skincare regimen.

This product smells horrible to me. I think it's the colloidal sulfur that is the culprit. It does what it's supposed to do, but I still prefer Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask.

"HOW TO USE: Apply a thin layer on clean skin avoiding eye area. Wait 20 minutes and rinse with tepid water. May be used 2-3 times a week all over face or on problem areas only including back and chest.
BEAUTY TIP: For excessively oily skin, dust Special Healing Powder on the skin before applying Drying Mask. For acne-erupted skin apply Buffering Lotion before and after mask. For the most balanced regimen alternate with Healing Soothing Mask on different nights.
INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water (Aqua), Kaolin,Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Starch, Calamine,Ichthammol,Propylene Glycol, Colloidal Sulfur, Titanium Dioxide"

$18 for 2 oz. I will not repurchase this product.