Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

3.3

on 12/17/2015 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I was excited to get my hands on a bottle because I heard so many great things about this foundation on YouTube.
I did not have any expectations to be moisturizing, but I expected it to hold and look pretty good?
I think a deal-breaker was the fact that it accentuated my pores and all my sebum came up on my nose. I know I have blackheads there, but no other foundation I ever tried so far did this.
Interestingly this only happened when I used Hourglass Veil Primer underneath.
When I tested separately in-store, it did not happen. I used Cover FX primer then.

It was not moisturizing, but I didn't find it to be drying either.
I use a ton of things to moisturize my skin, because it gets pretty dry throughout the day in the winter. (toner, brightening ampoule, moisturizing lotion, moisturizing cream)
I have very dry skin. Thankfully it didn't rob me of that moisture (or else it would be a complete dealbreaker).

I can't comment on lasting power because I don't ever really check my foundation enough to see what it is doing? But by the end of the day my skin had eaten all of it up.

edit: I bought ta-da an actual foundation brush.
I used my fingers to blot it out, but I supposed why not use a brush to apply properly. It can't be me. Everyone and their mother seems to love this foundation.

I did and the results were the same. In fact my dry spots were accentuated IMMEDIATELY after application.
Pros: It broke down beautifully.
It has a beautiful finish (FROM AFAR)

Come close and although I did not put anything close to looking like a pancake. oh dear.
Clinging to my vellus hairs. It was not pretty.

So... I guess the only way to save it is to see if using a really really moisturizing primer/cream underneath ontop of the six other products I use might save it. Or not.
If that doesn't work then I guess this foundation and I are saying permanent good-bye.

Shade matches:
Vanilla in Too Faced Born This Way Foundation
NC 25 in MAC Mineralize Moisture Foundation SPF 15
NC 25 in MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation
4 in Smashbox Halo HD Foundation
230 Buff W in Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hours
C23 in Sulwhasoo Evenfair Perfecting Cushion
somewhere between a light and a medium in the Laneige BB Cushion (more light than dark. I would like to guess that light is a 21 and medium a 25. Immediately you can tell that medium was too dark for me)

on 12/15/2015 11:27:00 AM

I keep trying to make this work, but it just doesn't. Like everyone said it looks orange but what really bothers me is the coverage. They claim it can go up to full, but that is bull. It's like a Bad CC cream. I say go for the IT Cosmetics CC cream. Which has more coverage than the Born this way. This foundation also just wiped right off, even after setting it. Gosh I just hate this.

on 12/13/2015 7:23:00 PM

I decided to purchase this after seeing so many rave reviews on youtube about this foundation. It was a big fail for me. I have fair/medium skin (NW/NC25 in MAC) with pink undertones. I usually like yellow toned foundations as it cancels out a lot of the redness on my skin.

I had someone at Sephora color match me and we came up that Ivory was the best match for me. It looked nice on the store so when I had my VIB coupon I decided to splurge.

I found that this foundation matched me for about 45 minutes to an hour then started to turn orange on me. At first I thought maybe it was my primer as I had never had this happen to me with a foundation. I tried it without primer and it happened even faster. Ugh.

I brought it back to Sephora, just didn't work for me. When I made my return woman at Sephora told me she heard that a few times about this foundation.

on 12/9/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this foundation. I received a generous sample from Ulta that lasted me for about 5 day's. The color matched perfect I think it was Vanilla. This foundation was great for my skin which is very dry and some redness around nose and cheeks. Lately I have only been buying BB and CC creams because I didn't want a heavy foundation and needed something more moisturizing. I'm really impressed with it, it applied so smoothly gave just enough coverage and best part of all it lasted all day on me. It gave just enough coverage and no heavy makeup look. The only reason I haven't bought is because of the price, almost $40 for a bottle.

on 12/9/2015 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Yet another Too Faced product I was excited for because of all the YouTube hype. I have dry skin and like to go for "glowing" skin over the "matte" look.
Initial thoughts: Packaging is GORGEOUS. I LOVED this foundation when I first applied it. My skin was glowing while having excellent coverage and a little goes a long way. It even lasted over 9 hours on my skin. I thought I had found my "holy grail"
Final Verdict: Unfortunately, this foundation ended up going back because it broke me out terribly. I had a huge break out on my chin which I am still trying to get rid of and breakouts all along my temples (where I never break out). I only wore it about 3x. I was in denial hoping it wasn't this foundation but it was.

P.S. if it didn't break me out I would've given this product 4 lippies ONLY because it didn't feel "weightless" but by no means was it heavy on my skin and I would've probably repurchased.

on 11/26/2015 4:30:00 PM

I absolutely love this foundation. It stays all day, looks natural and has decent coverage. I was exclusively using drugstore foundation before this, and you could tell I was wearing something. foundation is always something I'll splurge on from now on, as this stuff just looks so natural. I have dry skin so it's perfect. I would recommend people with oily skin to stay away however, as it's very moisturizing.

on 11/15/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is a terrible foundation. It oxidized on my skin, turning my face orange and it caused me to break out. I wish I'd asked for a sample instead of buying it on the recommendation from the salesperson at Sephora.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am 50 years old and this foundation is natural, full coverage that does not settle into lines or wrinkles. My skin is flawless and smooth. Foundation takes 1 pump to provide beautiful full coverage. My skin looks fresh and smooth all day long. Foundation is like putting moisturizer on skin. Product is highly pigmented, the texture is creamy and decadent. Colors are well matched. Picking out a color is easy. "Born This Way" images even mature skin beautiful and makes my complexion glow!!!

on 11/12/2015 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

**EDITED on 9/29/16
Funny how during a certain time of the year a foundation starts to work for you. Originally I just thought this was "meh". I've been wearing it for a couple of days now and the coverage is superb, super comfortable on the skin, and makes my pores disappear. It also lasts all day long without breaking apart or fading on me. I do about 1.5 pumps and apply with a damp beauty blender. Gives flawless coverage. I'm glad I ended up repurchasing this foundation!

Original review: I ended up returning this because it just wasn't anything special. Yes it has good coverage and was a joy to apply as it glides on smoothly but at the end of the day it performed just as well as my Maybelline foundation. For color reference I'm a MAC NC25-30 and I wore Warm Nude in the Too Faced BTW foundation. Don't get me wrong, it's a good foundation but since I was looking for a HG one, this wasn't up to par.

I LOVE a good full coverage foundation and my current faves are MAC studio fix fluid, NARS All Day Luminous Foundation, IT cosmetics CC cream (both illuminating and the original formulas), and Maybelline Fit Me.

on 11/7/2015 12:25:00 AM

It is great on my cheeks and forehead and chin. Sucks on my nose, which tends to be oily. Won't buy again...but love the look on the other areas of my face.