Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

3.3

on 7/25/2015 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this foundation for my dry skin. I wear the third darkest shade Sand and I wear an NC40-NC42 in Mac foundations. I'm obsessed with this foundation in that it delivers true medium to full coverage without looking cakey and making skin still look like skin

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Sorry - I don't understand all the love for this product. After reading the glowing reviews I was excited to purchase - especially since I really like Too Faced Amazing Face & Too Faced Beauty Balm. Alas, this was matte, drying, thick, and non flattering. I truly hope I was not "Born This Way." Still on the search for my HG foundation.

Awww, nuts. I KNEW I would LOVE this foundation...after watching many tutorials and reading all I could, I couldn't wait to try this. Well....I'm crushed. I was hoping...expecting something truly revolutionary, but IMO, this was a dud for me. When trying a new foundation, my test is to use it alone...no primer or setting powder. If it performs with no help, then it's worthy. If you have to use numerous products to get it to work, then IMO, it's not worth it. So my trials runs of this foundation were used on a bare face. To begin with, the color match was almost perfect. I chose Ivory, and it was about a half shade light for me, but fine. It went on nicely, however it seemed like i had to use more product than normal. Once on and buffed out a bit, it left a very matte, smooth finish...almost too perfect, which made it look almost mask like. Then, the trouble started almost immediately. Within 5 minutes, I could see the foundation settling into a few fine lines I have. Not good. I buffed them out a bit, finished my makeup, and went about my day. After less than 2 hours running errands, this foundation found every tiny wrinkle and every enlarged pore, and settled into it. Awful. Tragic And at this price point, it should have at least lasted 6-8 hours, even without primer or setting powder.. It's been a long time since a foundation so UNDER performed for me. Honestly...the L"Oreal Infallible Semi Matte foundation is much better than this...more natural finish....better lasting power, doesn't settle into every flaw, and $25 cheaper. By all means try this out...so many people can't be wrong. But if you have mature, dryish skin, with fine lines and/or enlarged pores, beware.

on 7/6/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using this for a little under three weeks at this point and while there is a significant amount of hype, I've seen a lot of reviews adoring this product (and well deserved, at that!), but not a lot about some of the nitpicky details--which are things I personally look for, and I assume I'm not alone. I'll be honest: this is a great foundation well worth your time, but there are *some* points worth mentioning.

The product itself comes in a nice looking, weighty frosted glass bottle with a pump. It is a liquid that isn't watery, but is loaded with pigmentation. It doesn't run very quickly, but if you put it on the back of your hand, it's not going to run down your arms or anything like that if you accidentally hold your hand at an angle.

As stated, the pigmentation is definitely there but without any of the weight. It's a really great trick and reminds me of Armani Luminous Silk in that way. The big issue with the pigmentation that I have is the limited color range. The lightest yellow foundation (Ivory) isn't exactly as advertised--it's a hair under NC20, which to me, is just one under the start of medium skintones. On top of this, POC on the darker ends of the spectrum will struggle to find a matching shade.

Now, with the formulation, the product does contain denatured alcohol like the Armani Luminous Silk (which I've mentioned in my review of the product.) However, it is extremely low in the ingredients list comparatively (meaning it is in a lower concentration.) It shows on this product because I don't get quite the same greasy-like appearance or have to worry about my face looking like it will be melting off.

In wearing this product, I do find that it wears very well but I don't feel that it lasts all day. I don't know if it's because my skin drinks the product up (I have drier skin) or if the alcohol (albeit in smaller amounts) breaks it down faster. After having experimented, I do find the addition of powder over the top does help with longevity (having used the Hourglass ALP in July heat/humidity.) In application, it can get a little streaky if you look up close, however, from a distance, no one would be able to tell. Having played with application methods, I find brush and fingers both work well, but fingers are a little more adequate at avoiding streaks on the skin.

Despite the fact it contains hydrating ingredients (glycerin, coconut water, etc.), I do find that it can be caught on my vellus hairs between my eyebrows. It did not catch on any of my dry spots, though. But, again, from a distance, no one would be able to tell. Only up close does it become a problem. Taking pictures with this foundation is not an issue in both regular lighting and flash--there's no SPF so it does not cause flashbacks (and anyways, you'll never get enough coverage from a foundation for sun protection anyways, so don't rely on one for any.)

Lastly, I suspect this product *does* break me out. Each time I've worn this product (I've worn it 3 days on, 1 day off) I find I've gotten a pimple after wearing it and I'm not someone who normally breaks out otherwise. However, knowing other formulas which have broken me out (OCC Skin Airbrush, NARS Sheer Glow, and Bobbi Brown Skin), I'm unable to figure out which ingredient may be the culprit.

Overall, I really do like this foundation and I wish it worked for me without getting break-outs. Because of that, I would personally not repurchase but if I did not have that issue, I absolutely would. It's a solid performer and well worth looking at, especially at $39/1 oz, it's a great alternative to Armani Luminous Silk if you fit within the limited shade range.

Pros:

- No SPF (does not provide adequate protection in foundations anyways and the cause of flashbacks)
- Strong pigmentation
- Does not feel heavy
- Contains hydrating ingredients
- Lovely packaging that comes with a pump (hygienic!)
- Does not emphasize dry spots

Cons:

- Limited color range
- Lightest yellow shade is approximately ~NC18
- Can cause break-outs in some people with sensitive skin
- Application can be fussy
- Can catch on vellus hairs
- Will not last throughout the day (on average, I can get about 7 hours)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Since I got this in June the first day it came out I have worn it every day... This is a beautiful foundation. Just perfection! My skin is dry and it sits really nicely all day on it. It's a great every day foundation for work because it covers everything but doesn't look like a mask. I like a lot of coverage so I wasn't sure if it would do what I'm used to and it DID and did it better!!! It wears great without a primer, wears great with a primer, looks beautiful over illuminating creams (even though it's luminous) on it's own. And I have received quite a few compliments the last 2 weeks. I would love them to come out with a concealer because they have gotten this foundation so right that a concealer would just be the icing on the cake... TOO FACED, YOU LISTENING? CONCEALER PLEASE!!!!! Try it girls, you will absolutely love it!!!

UPDATE - 9/25/15 - I'm STILL using this every day.. I can't live without this foundation... Or Too Faced in general. From this to their eye shadows... They are my HG brand.... I really wish they would make a concealer... WE NEED A CONCEALER... :-) I get compliments non-stop, it wears well, applies beautifully (I use the Make up Geek foundation stippling brush) these two together have given me a flawless coverage.... I just can't say enough good things about it. <3... Love, Love, Love! :-)