CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #4

3.9

2011 Reformulaton: Water, Alcohol Denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA-Copper, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Green 5

Although my skin is oily (still! at 41!) I avoided the #4 clarifying lotion for years, choosing #3 instead because I feared irritating or burning my skin. Clinique has been running ads about their new, reformulated Clarifying Lotions, so I took the plunge and tried #4.

WOW! My skin is amazingly fresh, bright, and clear, even during PMS! The salicylic acid has exfoliating properties that are as good for aging skin as they are for acne-prone skin. The alcohol content does not irritate my skin in the least. I do use this in combination with the Oily Skin formula liquid soap and the DDMG. In winter, I may switch to the #3 or even #2 Clarifying Lotion and the Moisture Surge creme instead; that's what happened last winter. All I can say is, I kind of HATE Clinique for being so mainstream and so wasteful with their packaging, while still producing the best products I've ever used for my face. I'd love to throw my bucks at Dr. Hauschka or Boscia instead, but my skin loves it some Clinique and I can't complain when people are shocked that I'm over 40!

on 4/24/2012 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. When I use it, my skin become a new vision. It cleans my pores well and make them a little bit smaller.

on 4/23/2012 7:45:00 PM

I know supposedly alcohol is terrible for skin, but this astringent is amazing. It makes my skin feel so clean and there is absolutely no residue or sticky feel, like a few of the Neutrogena ones I've tried. I believe this is keeping my skin clearer as well!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I used this toner for years. I stopped using this product about six months ago as my dermatologist told me the alcohol in it can damage skin, which can inhibit collagen production as the skin then has to repair itself. I have not used this product since then and I will not be using this product again. I now use the Clinique Mild Clarifyng Lotion and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment as a BHA exfoliant and my skin looks great without Clarifying Lotion #4. I wish I didn't spend money over the years on a product that damaged my skin. I'll give it a 1 for its salicylic acid content, which is good for skin, but you can get that through products that don't damage your skin.

on 3/17/2012 12:35:00 AM

I am a huge Clinique advocate, but this stuff really works! It doesn't dry out, irritate, or burn my skin. It always helps to get off the remaining makeup and residue after washing my face. It leaves my face feeling, clean, fresh, and tingly!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This toner is great. It contains salicylic acid in it which helps to heal my acne faster i guess. I don't feel tight or dry when I apply it on my face, probably because I have very oily t zone. However, I really hate the strong alcohol smell. It freaked me out the first time I used it. I also hate the package design. I wish there is a plastic cap with a small hole inside instead of the big hole. It would be easy to not waste the toner.
******UPDATE: So yesterday I went to Mecca Mexica (yay I'm in Australia) to find a new moisturizer (the Clinique DDMG didn't work for me) and had a talk with a staff there and she told me to stop using this Lotion because it's the reason why my skin produces oil so much and she gave me the Anti Blemish Lotion + Clinique Moisture Extended Thirst Relief and the AB Lotion works much better on my skin. So, bye bye Clinique Clarifying Lotion #4.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I started using this clarifying lotion and fell in love! This toner makes my oily skin stay matte and shine free. I love how it makes my pores disappear. I just love it. Im also using it with a gentle cleanser and the Clinique DD Moisturizing Lotion. However, I wish this had a pump or something other than just an open hole. Its kind of $$ but i got the giant bottle and im thinking it will last me a long time. I think i found a winner.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

#3 didn't do much for me, and no drastic improvement with #4. I was expecting to have this be my *it* astringent, but I suppose this product at least meets my minimum requirements--cleanliness, doesn't make me break out.

I wonder if this stuff makes my skin dull. It's hard to tell with my other products. I think I will start using this more often and report back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I originally went in to try the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (which I am also pleased with) and ended up purchasing the whole 3-step system. I was actually in the market for a new skincare line and the price was much less than I expected, bonus points for that.

This toner is great stuff. I am extremely oily and I was given lotion #3 (oily skin) with my initial purchase, which I was also happy with. When I ran out I decided to try #4 and I definitely see a difference, however subtle. There is a somewhat strong "clean" scent to it, mostly alcohol smelling, but it is not unpleasant or overbearing. No matter how I exfoliate or cleanse beforehand, I always see a little extra debris on the cottonball after I apply this. It's great at getting rid of extra gunk and leaves your face smooth, soft, and shine free. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize with Clinique twice daily and it does not irritate my skin at all, though I have worked up to this over the last 6 months or so.

The price is, in my opinion, very reasonable. I buy the large (13.5 oz) size and it lasts me a good 8-10 months, even with being used twice daily. A small amount goes a long way. I usually tip the bottle twice onto a cotton ball and that's plenty for my whole face. I currently am very happy with this toner and plan to keep repurchasing indefinitely. No complaints here!

on 11/1/2011 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is the only Clinique product I use, and I've been using it for years. I have STRAYED and tried other toners, but this is the best on the market.

It leaves my skin feeling CLEAN - no residue. I disagree with users who say it's heavily perfumed.

There's nothing else like it for my HUGE pores and tricky "AGING" skin. I've tried products for "AGING" skin, and I found them useless.

I have loved this product since it came to market. I stopped by here to write this testimonial because I strayed, and I will NEVER stray again.