Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 2/29/2016 1:33:00 AM

Smells great for about ten minutes...then it fades. After an hour, the scent is gone. Awesome, huh, for such expensive stuff? Yea, right.

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

The EDP of this stays on my skin like no other, I am surprised that people have a problem with longevity? Maybe it's just my skin.
This perfume comes in a really pretty bottle and I expected something darker, mysterious but all it is is a comfy, sweet scent. Nothing special at all and definitely not worthy of the Opium name. Just a sweet little thing that's great for cozying up with your significant other on a cold night. Not bad but not great either.

on 1/17/2016 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is slowly becoming my signature scent, and I absolutely love it (despite the price...)

So I ordered the rollerball on Sephora.com because I was so sure that this was going to become a favorite of mine. I remembered smelling it at a counter when I went out of town, but never bothered to actually spritz a little on myself--forgetting that the smell would change a little once on the skin... Now I don't think the scent is bad, but I do think it's very mediocre. It's actually very similar to Lancome's 'La Vie Belle', which is almost a carbon copy of Flowerbomb (When I smell them one after the other anyway.

on 12/29/2015 12:40:00 PM

This does smell a lot like Loverdose by Diesel, but I do like it a lot! it is sweet but not to sweet, but it may only last on me for about 3-4 hours which is disappointing. I don't get any of the coffee out of it, I sprayed some on my mum to see if it smelt any different on her and it smelt just like it did on me. I think most people can wear this perfume, I would say it's more of a day time perfume, I know some say night time but I don't find it heavy/strong enough for night time. overall it's ok nothing special I wouldn't buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the bottle, I love the scent, I love absolutely everything about this fragrance!!!
If I ever ran out of this perfume, I would definitely repurchase. I don't understand the bad reviews for Black Opium, but maybe it's just proof that perfume is subjective. This is why, if you ever think about buying this fragrance, I recommend you smell it and test it beforehand.
Overall, my signature scent!

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

on 12/17/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately I didn't like this and really wanted to. Was really hoping you could smell the coffee notes in this one, but the coffee just meekly wanders in behind the strong fruity flowers and sits shyly in the corner before it slips out of the room unoticed. Honestly this smells like every other popular perfume on the market. La vie a belle, Armani Si, and flower bomb. If u already own one of those perfumes I would spend money on this one.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

the bottle is pretty, sparkly and classy. the scent is an exact replica of loverdose (the purple bottle). im disappointed as its not a new fragrance and not nearly as classy as the original opium; this is a far younger scent and again, smells exactly like Loverdose.