CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 9/24/2015 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Firstly I have combo/oily skin. I can wear shade B30 or B40 and I'm an NC30/35. I find going lighter (B30) better because it does oxidize just a tad. Not an orange oxidize but just a tad darker.
I have tried most Chanel foundations.
I really like the packaging. As much as glass is pretty, this is just easier and I don't have to worry about dropping it.
I find this best applies with fingers which is Chanel's recommended method too. The finish is matte but natural. Definately not powdery/Cakey. Blends easy and really fuss free application. If I don't moisturize properly, I do find I can see his sitting on the skin. So beware dry skins. It last well throughout the day. Does wear a bit around the nose and chin but I'm an oily girl and this is the story of my life! Lol! This has the Chanel scent that they put in their makeup. A light floral scent. Lasts for about 1 hour after application. I like scents so it doesn't bother me. Feels light on the skin and have had no issues with breakouts. I wouldn't recommend for really dry or really oily skins. Coverage is light to buildable medium. I couldn't achieve full coverage.
Overall a nice foundation. Costs $77AUD which is roughly the same as the new Nars foundation. Not cheap but it's totally relative to how much you want to spend and how much you can afford.

on 9/21/2015 11:05:00 PM

This foundation is amazing, it has a very special formula, it is a combination of many things that an oil-phobe and acne prone skin like me wouldn't dare buying it because it looks watery and so my assumption is that it would be a very sheer finish, but when you start blending it into your skin it turns into this powdery sort of satin finish , and best part is that it is build-able after the first layer dries off, no cakey-ness whatsoever and it looks like you have a new flawless sort of skin. The first day after I've bought it, i tried it on and my co-worker complimented how great my skin looks and asked if i use a new cream. I din expect to love this at all, as I've tried one of the foundation from Chanel previously namely PERFECTION LUMIÈRE LONG-WEAR FLAWLESS FLUID SPF 15 and i hated it, as it breaks me out on the same night i use it and i was very disappointed , i was hesitant to try this at first but seeing the finishing was so beautiful i decided to purchase and i'm not regretting it at all. only one down side which i dislike, is the perfume , it has this pungent scent to it but good thing is that it dissipates after some time .

Important point to application, please apply moisturizer and prep your skin before application and shake the foundation before use.

Very light weight matte foundation. I like how this looks on my maturing skin. It dries quickly so I do have to work in with my fingertips one areaAt a time. I have been wearing it with dr jart BB Cream underneath & it lasts all day. I will be interested to see if I like it as much in the winter-since my skin looks so dry then.

on 9/7/2015 8:17:00 PM

I have tried SO many foundations. My skin is really broken out from acne and this has been a saving grace. I keep coming back to it. Very nice finish. Here's how good it is: I relied on it in 100 degree Texas heat and humidty. I spent a lot of time outside. By the end of the day it was still in place. Its quite expensive - I think around $45-$50, but I haven't had to rebuy and I've had it for months. Highly recommend. It goes on really nice with a beauty blender.

EDIT:
Realized I really should edit this since after using this a while, it too no longer worked out. It makes my skin get very dehydrated/dry after continued use, probably because it has alcohol in it. It looked beautiful at first...but not with long term use.

OLD REVIEW
I finally found it, y'all - the perfect foundation after searching for so long! I'm surprised this doesn't have better reviews - but it may be that the application is tricky. You have to make sure you've exfoliated, then apply a good moisturizer and something that works as a primer (I use Tatcha sunscreen). Then you have to blend it with a Beauty Blender or foundation brush. Applying with fingers will NOT work with this one - it will look dry, dull, and patchy if you do.
So why do I love it? I've been searching for a foundation that will work with my dehydrated but oily skin for years. Because my skin can look dull and dry and has some roughness, I don't like matte foundations because they make my skin look worse and highlight roughness and dry patches - but because my skin gets really oily quickly (yes my skin is oily and dry at the same time, weird!), "dewy" foundations don't work at all, but slide around and puddle up. I also want one that provides some coverage, but lets my real skin show through, and one that won't settle in fine lines under my eyes making me look older. It's a tall order, and I've tried everything from by Terry, Guerlain, MUFE, Urban Decay, Bobbi Brow, Laura Mercier, Hourglass, and tons more trying to find one to fit the bill. I discovered this one by accident, when I was browsing in Nordstrom. The sales associate offered to take off my makeup and reapply it, and when she finished and I looked at my skin I thought "Oh my goodness, how did she make it look so smooth?" It gave it the perfect airbrush finish and smoothed over roughness and dryness. My husband and mother-in-law picked me up from the store and both said "what did you do to your skin? It looks so good!" So this foundation really made a huge difference. It also stayed on so well, and still looked beautifully fresh at 11 pm. However, when I later tried to apply the sample she gave me, I was very disappointed - it looked nothing at all like when she had applied it, but looked like a standard dry foundation. After playing with it, I discovered the perfect application technique described above, and wow - it makes skin look gorgeous and lasts all day! It does not budge! I still have to blot mid-day, but it never slides around or comes off. I even took a shower in it today (my face got wet but I didn't wash it), and it STILL looked good. I didn't even have to retouch it the rest of the day. If you're looking for lightweight, natural looking (no mask or chalk face here!), moderate but buildable coverage, long lasting, smoothing, satin-finish foundation - this is it! To be fair there are a few draw backs to this - I don't like that it has fragrance and alcohol in this, and I also try to avoid octinoxate. But I'm willing to overlook these flaws for such a pretty foundation :-)

on 8/17/2015 8:42:00 AM

I really like this foundation. Bought it as I also really enjoy the vitalumiere aqua and wanted some more oil control for the summer months. It applies beautifully and lasts all day. The only downside is the fragrance but that fades after application.

on 7/29/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a really good foundation. It's light to medium coverage for me. I use a brush for more coverage and a sponge for lighter coverage. Has nice shades to choose from. My match is Beige 10, which is the lightest neutral-to-warm shade. It has SPF 15, which is fine for days when I'm not outside much, but I wish the SPF were higher. I am always thrilled when I can get a match as good as Beige 10 (I wear C3 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus and Warm Ivory in Fiona Stiles foundations.) Chanel does have "Rose" shades as well. The Beige shades lean warm and the Rose shades are cool.

PROS:

I have a good color match in this: Beige 10 is a nice neutral for me, not too yellow and not too pink. Blends into my skin imperceptibly.

Light coverage helps even out the skin.

Weightless comfortable feel.

Has a little sun protection which is part titanium dioxide and doesn't irritate my skin.

The plastic container with agitator ball inside is easier than a glass bottle with pump for travel.

Doesn't seem to aggravate breakouts.

CONS:

Sometimes I would like actually like more coverage but I don't want to cake this on.

SPF 15 is better than nothing, but some of the other Chanel foundations offer more sun protection.

Has a tiny bit of fragrance, though it's not noticeable once it dries. I wish they wouldn't add fragrance to the makeup.

I like the finish I get with the regular Perfection Lumiere better, but it has even more fragrance than this.

You have to remember to shake it.

Expensive at $50

Chanel is not cruelty free.

INGREDIENTS:

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Im a mac nc37-40. I tried getting samples and the Chanel lady was very generous . I tried the B40 shade and it's decent. It's very light in tone that if i apply it all over my face , it wouldnt match my neck . I like it so much! There were nights thag i couldnt sleep because ive been reading reviews extensively. I couldnt get over the smell too! I freakin love the rosewater smell and the technology behind the foundation. It dried into a powdery velvet soft finish thag i like. You know the feeling when you wash your face in the morning with a gentle foaminh wash. It left me feeling fresh. I wear it to work and ive noticed that as it stays on the face, it makes the skin appear more lifted . I cant explain. It's like I applied a glycolic cleanser or maybe its just the alcohop content. I was matched b50 though but it oxidized on me. I still love it though. I wear it just on days i wanna look laid back and fresh . I dont use my contour and bronzer with this because it's already warm and reddish on me. I think im gonna buy the B40 soon after saving up. By the way this is the first chanel foundie that ive tried . I apply it with my real techniques expert face brush. I set it with a powder and it's done.

on 7/14/2015 3:11:00 PM

I noticed that a coworker of mine had perfect skin. I asked her what her secret was, and she said regular facials and Chanel makeup only. Well, I'm not quite at the salary where regular facials will be possible, so I drink a lot of water and do what I can to take care of my skin. The Chanel foundation takes care of the rest. Within a week of regular wear, I had strangers complimenting me on my skin. 6 months later, I don't think I can ever go back to mid-range foundation.

Coverage- it can be light or heavy, depends on how you apply. I dot the foundation straight from the bottle onto my face and blend with my fingers. Set with a translucent powder.

Lasts all day. Minimal creasing under the eyes. I live in South Florida and sweat walking from my door to my car, and this foundation can take the heat. Dries quickly so you can move on to other things.

Skin type- during the summer OILY and sweaty! Spring, Fall, Winter: Normal to Dry. Got this foundation in January and it hasn't let me down once.

Color range- My Beige Rose has taken me from pale (for South Florida) to Tan (-ish, I slather on sun screen like its my job) with just a little boost from some bronzer. From what I saw at the counter, not a very large range of darker colors :(

I bought mine at the Chanel counter at Saks Fifth Avenue. The lady who works the counter there has worked for Chanel for 25 years and is a wealth of knowledge on make up and everything else. She remembers who I am every time I pass the counter, and always has good recommendations for me. (she's flattered me into buying their eyeliner- that's another review!)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my favorite foundation ever! Finish: matte but natural and still radiant. This is the Chanel take on the "modern matte". Coverage: light to full coverGe. That may sound impossible but if you use a wet beauty blender it will be sheer. If you use a flat kabuki it will be medium and if you use a beauty blender dry it is full coverage.
Breakouts: I had a minor breakout when I first started using his foundation but it think it was more because I changed my moisturizer. Fragrance: this is heavily fragrances but it dissipates quickly.
Price: the price is fair, about 45$ (I believe?) which is less that the hourglass foundation that I also like and about the same price as the matte Laura Mercier. Packaging: very good for travel.
Color range: horrible. I'm half black and only the last two shades work on my skin (one when I'm pale the other when I'm tan). This is my holy grail foundation.

UPDATE: I have found that this foundation has some issues that take a while for it to be obvious. The first is that it causes serious breakouts. I had a minor breakout originally and it just got worse. I won't use this again. Also, I find the this oxidizes really badly and tends to turn a pink/red color. Very ashy when first applied.