Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 4/11/2014 10:45:00 AM

At first, I was sucked in by the hype and thought I loved this palette. After all, who wouldn't like makeup that smells like chocolate? So creative. But my love affair ended after one use. The shadows are poor quality--chalky consistency and lots of fallout, and some of the colors aren't really wearable. If you want a comparably priced palette and don't have to have one that is chocolate scented, the Kat Von D Monarch palette is worlds better.

PROS:
-Cute packaging! Looks AND smells like an actual chocolate bar. It's difficult to resist biting into this palette.
-Great variation of browns and neutrals.
-Great variation of shimmers, mattes, and satins.
-Great value for 16 different shades.
-Decent pigmentation on most shades.

CONS:
-Staying power and blendability. Looks great when I initially put it on, but it fades and creases as the day goes on.
-I've experienced difficulty with blending some of the shades. Maybe it's due to the similarity of tones and hues, but I tend to end up with one mushed up color on my lids by the day's end.
-The texture on some of the shades are quite chalky.

OTHER NOTES:
-This cute, delicious palette is a must have for those who tend to hoard/collect eyeshadow paletes (like me!). But if you are looking to invest in a palette for more practical reasons (such as long-wearing shadows which will last many hours), you might want to look elsewhere.
-Overall, the case is pretty sturdy. But I noticed that the enclosed mirror was weakly adhered to the tin casing and has fallen off.
-Overall, I like this palette. I was blown away by the cuteness, smell, and color selection. But I wasn't blown away by the quality.

I love love love this palette. The colors are beautiful, blend very well, and omg smell amazing. No lie, I walk over to this palette all the time and open it just to smell it. Genius idea to market a chocolate smelling eye shadow palette to women. I have every single Urban Decay Naked palette, several Too Faced palettes, and a very large Tarte palette, yet this one is the only one I reach for now.

on 5/3/2014 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Glad I brought it with a discount from beautybay. This palette is a great neutral palette but perhaps not for everyone. I found palette limited to creating looks and pigmentation is lacking a little without some strong primer to back it. Perfect for me who uses neutral everyday but I'd definitely take a bold eyeshadow along with me if I were traveling out of town with my palette.

I have been eying this for some time. I finally bought it last weekend with the encouragement of a friend. I love it. The smell of chocolate is so soothing. I use UD lid primer underneath and have been using this with my Naked Basics and UD Ammo pallette. It is great on its own as well. I am fairly new to the eyeshadow obsession, and this makes me happy every time I use it. There is no fall-out either which is great. The shimmer is very slight on some, and it stays put all day. I used to put eyeshadow on quickly every day. Before I used primer, I found it would be gone by noon. So if you are having trouble with staying power...try eye primer!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Okay first off, this is my FIRST high end palette..I am so excited!!!!! I don't care either way about the smell, it's just a gimmick but the colors in this palette are divine. I am NOT a neutral eyeshadow person but I think this might convert me. It is very versatile and I love how you can do a brown/gold smoky eye and a pink/plum smokey eye and I am sure a ton of other combinations. I have been looking to do a more natural look and this palette fits the bill in every way. I agree with those who say to amp up the color a good primer is a must other wise you are left with a soft glow. This makes me want one of the Nakeds now!! Maybe one of them will be my anniversary present meanwhile I love this Chocolate Bar.

Love this palate. It seems I can't make a mistake, all the colors blend so nicely and never look muddy. The Naked's One palate always seemed almost too warm (and I like warm) Chocolate Bar has a splendid variety, perfect browns, neutrals, and little pops of color. And the smell....oh the delicious scent.

on 5/7/2014 11:45:00 PM

I find the chocolate palette is most comparable to the naked palette because they are both warm browns but I prefer the TF more for the following reasons;
1. UD has 12 shades, TF has 16
2. UD has 2 mattes, TF has 6
3. Some shadows from UD are too shimmery, the shimmers in TF are more subtle which makes it easier to wear everyday and office appropriate.
4. TF has 2 cool tone non-brown shades(light pink and purple)which makes the neutral palette a bit more interesting.
5. I like that there are 2 bigger pans of highlighter shades, one matte and one shimmer. Because the pans a bigger, I actually use the shimmery one as a highlight for my cheekbones and its excellent.

All of the shades are pigmented and buttery. A few I would like to take note of because of other reviews and give my opinion.
Strawberry Bon Bon, some say its not very pigmented, I find mines pigmented for a matte shadow, I had no problems with application.
Black Forest Truffle is the on,y shade I find to have glitter but compared it is not chunky glitter like UD's sidecar where there is fallout. I don't have a lot of fallout with Black Forest Truffle.
Candied Violet, some say it isn't pigmented, I think if you are looking for a vibrant shimmery violet, this isn't going to give that result. I thought this would disappoint me because more purples make me look like I have a black eye or it appears as a dark grey on my lids but surprisingly I really love this shade. I use this all over the lid and it give a subtle smokey purple shade that's very wearable especially when paired with Cherry Cordial I the crease.

One of my main concerns was the packaging might be a bit too bulky but compared to the UD Naked 3, it's a centimeter thicker and a centimeter wider but it's more than a centimeter in length, overall it's great for travel, does not take up too much space in my makeup bag. The magnetic closure is secure enough. My only biggest complaint is how I wish the names were printed next to the pan because they have such adorable names.

I would totally recommend and repurchase this palette.

on 5/15/2014 5:36:00 PM

I really do like this palette. I don't purchase many palettes anymore because I have enough eye shadow to last me 20 lifetimes, BUT this palette combined my two favorite things (makeup and chocolate) so I couldn't resist. Luckily, it was worth the hype for me.

I think that the quality of the shadows are great, just as good as my UD & MAC shadows. I find them very buttery and personally I think they blend better than UD. I do have VERY oily eyelids and am allergic to something in the Too Faced Primer so I wear UDPP (I need a primer even if I am not wearing shadows to keep my oil at bay).

I think the best part about the palette for me though are the colors. At first glance it may look like any other neutral palette, but I think it is much better. I have always been so frustrated that most neutral palettes do not include a deep-matte-brown. Most have a black, or a glittery dark brown, but for me the matte-dark-brown is such a staple color if I am wearing a nude look. Very impressed with the rest of the shades as well, all great for blending, mixing, etc.

These shadows wore very well throughout the day, even with my oily lids... and last but certainly not least, they smell AMAZING! So if all else fails at least you get to enjoy the very pleasant aroma (not too sweet, fake, or overwhelming) while you apply your eyeshadow.

on 5/16/2014 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I don't write this lightly but this is my favorite eye shadow palette. Too Faced has managed to combine a perfect blend of matte and satin shades with a couple of shimmery ones to round it out. I find that I do have to use an primer underneath Too Faced shadows to get the best color payoff and for longevity.

The mix of warm and cool tones truly make this a palette that can work for anyone. This palette does not have a black, however the Triple Fudge color is so darkly rich that I find that I can get an intense effect using it on my outer V and lash line. Cherry Cordial is a beautiful, rich, warm burgundy with gold shimmer and has fast become my favorite color in the palette. I think I have used Salted Caramel every day since buying the palette!

As usual the shadows blend beautifully and I don't have a problem with fallout using them.

I personally like the packaging. Yes it is longer than most palettes but it is also very sturdy and will not get lost in a tote or bag. And the chocolate scent is a very nice perk! ;-)