Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

on 3/18/2015 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Let's do this the quick and concise way . The things I like about this palette are; it has a good range of neutrals with a pop of colour thrown in here and there, the shadows last a decent amount of time, they are smooth and buttery making application easy and enjoyable . The tin is cute and the smell of the shadows is appealing to me anyway( being a chocoholic)as they smell delicious! Things I do not like; the silly plastic sheet with the names of the shadows on(which I believe has been ditched in the semi sweet palette), one or two of the shadows seem powdery and a bit disappointing, mirror is ok but not huge . A silly point but it does take me longer to do my eye make up with these shadows as I keep stopping to sniff them ! I think this is a great palette, good value for money with numerous possibilities for different looks and is becoming a real favourite of mine.

on 3/13/2015 2:44:00 AM

So I swore to myself that I would not buy into the hype over this one as I have more than enough neutral palettes to get by on for the next forty years or so....these famous last words came back to bite me - as they always do. I managed to hold out to the end of 2014 for this but have not looked back ever since as it's been getting so much love and I really am so happy to have it.

For me Too faced shadow palettes can be hit or miss, generally I love the creamy soft shadows but have had about 4 palettes that have just been let downs for me. However I love this palette as its so versatile and fits in with every other palette I own - it can be a daily work horse.

For reference my skin is fairly light, I have blonde hair and green eyes and try to steer away from dark eye shadows as I find them "too much" on me and tend to go for a light / medium neutral look and only usually use darker shadows as liners. I have and find I can use most shades in this palette apart from Triple Fudge that I don't like and Gilded Ganache as any olive on me just turns muddy and unflattering looking and this one is no exception.

Strawberry Bon Bon is a pretty pale pink but not very pigmented so needs quite a few layers to get some colour showing - at least its not chalky. My matte Semi-Sweet is a bit dry and hard to pick up - but makes a good liner. I love Salted Caramel as it's so different being an orangey-brown, I generally use this as a crease shade and if its looking too orange for the look I'm going for it can be toned down slightly with a light application of Milk Chocolate brushed and blended lightly over the top. My two absolutely favourite standout shades are Marzipan a light peachy-brown and Cream Brulee a soft flattering gold - both are go to's as an all over lid colour.

My favourite two every day go to looks from this palette are:
Lid to Brow Bone: White Chocolate / White Chocolate
Outer "V": Haute Chocolate / Hazlenut
Lower Lashline: Marzipan / Creme Brulee
Upper Lashline: Amaretto or / Semi-Sweet
Black Forest Truffle

While I do like the smell of chocolate, it was not the reason I purchased this palette, but Too Faced were not silly and I think this was a great little marketing ploy to get people interested in something new. The shadows are a pretty decent size especially the matte and shimmer highlighter shades at 2.8grams each. I would see myself re-purchasing this in the unlikely chance that I will complete this palette...

on 2/27/2015 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I absolutely love this palette but it was EXPENSIVE. I wish their were more matte transition shades but that's my only complaint. It smells amazing and the colors are amazing! I am a sucker for maroon smokey eyes and this gives me my fix! I use the bright purple for my cheer competitions and that is my favorite shadow. A great buy but definitely wouldn't drop another 49 dollars on it. Still love it so much though!

Love this eye shadow palette! I have fair, warm tone skin and this palette has a lot of beautiful colors that look good on me. The shadows go on smoothly and last all day
( but I do use Too Faced champagne Shadow Insurance underneath the shadow). I also love the sweet chocolate smell and the adorable chocolate bar palette. Definitely will buy this again! :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this and returned it. I'm just too cool toned to wear 95% of the colors here. The purplish color was o.k. but I already have dupes that I like better in my shadow collection.

Why are 95% of the eye shadow palette's on the market geared toward warm complexion tones?

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Everybody has their thing and my thing is neutral palettes. I am a woman obsessed. You name it, I probably own it. This one is in my top 3 personal favorites. The colors are perfect and the smell is just divine. On top of that, the packaging is SO CUTE! Ugh. Love it.

on 2/3/2015 1:48:00 AM

This is my go to eyeshadow palette no matter what look I'm trying to achieve.
At first I was hesitant to buy it given the price ($65 AUD) but after seeing it on a friend I just had to. First of all, the packaging is creative and makes the experience of using it even better. It looks like a chocolate bar and smells like a chocolate bar because it's infused with cocoa which is an added bonus. The colour pigmentation is the best I've ever seen which means you have to go really easy with a gentle hand.

I love pairing the plum, gold, light brown and dark brown for an evening time, dramatic look.
The shimmery champagnes and browns work really well for a day time look as well.
This palette is so versatile especially because it offers pops of colours too.

Another thing worth mentioning is the 2 bigger pans which are matte white and a shimmery shade. These can be used as highlighters for the cheeks and brows. This made it even more worth the money for me because it's one less product I have to buy.

There is hardly any fall out and blending is super easy.

My only issue is that the shade names are not on the actual palette but a piece of plastic I threw away ages ago! But that's no biggie...

on 1/1/2015 6:41:00 PM

The adorable packaging and scent already made this a favourite for me that I reach for daily.

The shades are all wearable and creamy to apply. Maybe not as pigmented as Urban Decay, but have a lot less fallout. I love the inclusion of the bigger shades (White Chocolate and Champagne Truffle) to blend and highlight, making this a pretty good all-in-one palette. This is also good for travel as the magnet closure is sturdy and the tin packaging is quite durable (I have the recent slimmed version).

A typical, simple look that I do includes...
(1) Eye primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance)
(2) Base shadow (any of the medium browns, usually Amaretto, Hazelnut, or Milk Chocolate)
(3) Blend (White Chocolate)
(4) Inner corner highlight (mix Creme Brulee and Marzipan)
(5) Brow bone highlight (Champagne Truffle)
(6) Black pencil liner (by Essence) smudged out with Triple Fudge
(7) Mascara (whatever I'm trying to use up)

My only complaint is that the colours are not written on the palette directly, but on a plastic insert. This is minor and can be fixed by taping the insert over the mirror inside. Overall, this was a great purchase!

I use this pretty much every day. I love neutrals but also love a pop of color every now and again, so this palette definitely delivers for me. Lots of different colors & shades to create an endless amount of looks. My only complaint is the highlighting colors--the off-white one matches my skin too closely and the shimmery pink one isn't as versatile as a white or cream would be. But that's a minor detail & this palette is still my favorite. I'm sure I'll repurchase in the future.

on 11/30/2014 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This has a nice mix of matte, shimmer, and satin shades. None of the shades are glitterbombs. I love the palette, and it is very versatile for someone who wants a lot of variety and a palette to make a complete look with every day without getting bored.

Pros: Smells delicious
Wearable colors without all being nudes
good variety of finishes, tones, and colors
adorable packaging
blendable shadows
more product of highlight/base colors to be used in most if not all looks
minimal/no fallout even with glitter/shimmer shades

Cons:
seems powdery in the pan. the shadows kick up some dust but application doesn't really have fallout!
relatively pricey
shadow names are not printed on the palette, rather a plastic sheet.