Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The Chocolate Bar palette is kind of a weird concept with the cocoa powder thing, but I've really enjoyed having it, and I use it every day now. I bought it because I was getting kind've bored using my Naked 1 palette, and had bought both the Naked 3 and the Lorac Pro palette only to return them out of disappointment. I wanted blendable neutrals that I could combine in multiple ways, and that's exactly what this collection of shadows delivered.

I like that they don't mess around. You get the one palette, no teensy extras, no brush you're never going to use, etc. The packaging seems a little chunky, it seems like there's a lot of silly space at the bottom beneath the shadows, but nothing too bad. The closures are magnetic, and I do have some worry they will wear out, but I don't intend to toss mine around so I'm not overly concerned. The only truly disappointing thing about the palette is that the shadow names are only provided on a clear plastic piece, not printed on the palette. I want the shadow names, so I have to keep that piece of plastic, which is somewhat annoying.

The product itself is lovely. The shadows are all well pigmented and extremely soft. I love that when you open the palette you get the smell of chocolate. They also taste sweet too, which I discovered by accident.

The shadows are really, really blendable, and the colors work together in so many different combinations. The one thing I will say is that for a few of the darkest colors, it seems like they lose a little intensity within an hour or so of wear, so I would start a little darker than you want and it'll settle perfectly. Other than that, no creasing or fading. Note-I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance under every eye look.

Overall I would say I'm very pleased with this product. It's a lot of shadow for the price (and extra props to Too Faced of including larger pans of the highlight shades! Nothing is more annoying than having to lug around extra products because your palette is out of blending/highlighting shades). The smell is calming and makes me happy to use. I've finally found a palette worth keeping!!

on 2/3/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I am just loving this palette, it has me excited about makeup all over again. I bought the new Smashbox one as well and don't even use it. The pigmentation and colour selection is both unique and so wearable. It comes with three cards with looks to get you started, I always appreciate that as I stare at a new fresh palette! The smell is actually like chocolate and it is packaged in a sturdy tin, both cute and I think, durable. I have a lot of Too Faced palettes and can say this is one of the best, don't miss out on getting it. Leave the full exposure and get this one I promise you will be better off. I have received so many compliments on my standout blue eyes since starting to wear this and |I am in my mid 40s so its good for older women as well. So awesome

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was torn between this palette and Naked 3, but once I saw the colours in Chocolate Bar, I was hooked. Also, Naked 3 is permanent so I can get it down the road, while Chocolate Bar is limited edition.

I know a lot of people complain about the packaging being flimsy. I don't find this to be the case. My complaint is that the names of the shadows aren't printed on the palette for reference. This annoys the heck out of me - is it really THAT much trouble to print the names on the edges of the pans, the way UD does with its palettes or Too Faced does with its 9-pan palettes? My other complaint is the SCENT. I'm not someone who is bothered by fragrance in makeup products but I know a lot of people are, and it seems plain old stupid to have scented/fragranced EYE SHADOWS - the one place you'd think they'd want to minimize scent (even if they want to keep that "chocolate" theme going) is in anything women use around their eyes. I'm surprised more reviewers haven't commented negatively about the scent since there are so many complaints, overall, about fragrance in cosmetic and skin care products on this site.

Still, having got those 2 complaints out of the way, I have to say that this is a truly terrific palette with a full range of matte and shimmer shadows as well as cool toned, neutral and warm tones. And there's also the beautiful Candied Violet, a lovely periwinkle blue/purple. There are only 3 suggested looks, but putting together your own combinations that are suitable for work or more dramatic, intense ones for evening won't be difficult with this versatile palette.

UPDATE: Solution for the issue of colour names on the palette - Staedtler's Lumocolour fine tipped markers are perfect for writing the names right on the palette. It doesn't smear, smudge or rub off. I've now done this on all my palettes without the shadow/product names on them.

on 1/23/2014 9:40:00 PM

Surprisingly incredible!
I was planning on buying Naked 3 but since everywhere has been sold out, I started looking for another pallete to hold me over since I only have one good quality pallete Naked 2. I was not impressed at first glance but I gave it a closer look once one of the Sephora employees told me it was one of her new favorites, at first I was just trying to placate her in considering it but as I looked closer I noticed the subtle shades of burgundy and some other useful and fun shades. I decided to take a leap of faith and bought it, but I am so glad I did!

The chocolate scent is fun but not a draw for me (I don't even like chocolate that much) but the incredible part is the colors! I read in other reviews problems with shades such as milk chocolate and bon bon being too sheer, but I have not had this problem (Admittedly I religiously use Nyx milk, which always makes things better.) I say this is a must buy for those who love neutral shades but want a little subtle fun colors in their arsenal.

Over all 4.5/5 due to the flimsy (but cute) packaging.

on 1/22/2014 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a good neutral palette and really eyeing Naked 2. I was sure that would be the one. I saw others that were 'nice', but either too small (less shadows but close in price to make it more worth it to buy the larger ones) or colors that were too similar/not interesting enough to me. I loved how smooth and high quality the Nakeds were, that there were some mattes in there and I didn't have any yet. However, I am more of a color girl, but wanted something more subtle, and the Nakeds were really nice but very along one or two color lines.

So when I saw this I was drawn in. It's neutral, many colors (16!) but not ONLY browns/taupes or coppers. I envisioned so many looks I could do, not only with this but in addition to all my other shadows. I liked that it had the larger base and highlight/brow bone colors that I could use with *any* look, I liked that there were many mattes of differing colors, I liked that there were shimmers that were greenish, reddish, brownish, light, dark and medium shades, etc. It seemed like a great buy for all those shades. Another cool thing I discovered was "Triple Fudge" as a liner color. I have never used a shadow as a liner but that seemed like the perfect color for it. *Update: I just started filling my brows (yesterday). I really don't need a lot since they are thick and dark, but I did use this as a brow powder and it's really fantastic for that too*

A few things that worried me were that the color payoff of a few shades. The Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet (and cherry cordial a little bit as well) seemed to have some shimmer fall out. However, the color pay off turned out to be great with a primer, and the shimmers didn't even fall out as much when it was on as it had when I made a quick swatch. I would say Candied Violet is the exception though, that color is pretty but don't expect the glitter to stay on, it absolutely does not. Even with a great primer it's very weak applied (much lighter than it appears) but still pretty.

When I got the palette, I also noticed the packaging being a little cheaper/smudges on it than expected even though it is adorable. I agree about the magnet being weak. It's fine for my dresser and I even thought it was cool that it had a magnet in the first place, but I would not feel safe traveling with it either. I didn't realize the smell until I had mine, so it wasn't a selling point that made me want it, but I do love it now that I realize!

These colors are formulated in such a high quality way that they outshine my other shadows BY FAR. When I do a simple natural look with this, I feel bright and awake. It draws attention and light to your eyes and is such a confidence booster. My favorite so far is marzipan, I use it as a shadow and highlight sooo often. Triple Fudge, a great basic dark matte brown for deep creases, brows and liner. Salted Caramel, obvious and perfect transition though great on the lid too. The Strawberry Bon Bon is amazing. The bottom left 3 shimmer brows are perfect. And who doesn't love Champagne Truffle. I usually get drugstore shadows, but they often fall flat in matte colors where these mattes are not muddy or dull at all.

So overall, I'm super happy with the colors and the quality of this palette. I think I made the right choice for me. Though I'm generally a bargain buyer and don't usually buy something so expensive, it's very worth it price wise if you are the type to only buy a few palettes instead of individual shadows. I used a gift card to be able to get mine and I'm happy I got to treat myself to something so nice. Years later I can def still call this HG and something I'd actually plunk down full price for. And I never pay full price lol.