Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

on 6/15/2018 10:31:00 AM

At the end of the day, this is my go-to palette. You can create basic looks or something more dramatic. There are a lot of neutrals/browns so you have to like that sort of look to get your money's worth. Some beautiful shimmery lid shades. I also love the pink and purple colours to mix things up when I'm in the mood. Has a nice mirror, good packaging, and smells like chocolate (which everyone knows). It just makes me happy looking at this palette! I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks and this will be the only palette I bring as its so versatile. Definitely recommend and would repurchase.

I got this back in the day when this was new and hyped and everyone kept talking about it. It was one of my very first eye pallettes ever so my expectations weren't as high as they are now as I didn't have much comparison. I kept using it, the packaging was cute and it smelled nice. But when buying the eye pallette you expect shadows to be good and there are pretty meh. To tell the truth I haven't had much luck with Too Faced products overall, I think apart from the super lovely packaging they are pretty overpriced and overhyped for what they are. The shadows in the pallette don't blend nicely and don't have a staying power, also the pigmentaion is really not that good and there's much fallout. I am not impressed with this one and I gave it away.

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

Really good staple palette. Works on all skin tones and has a good range of basic shades with a creamy formula. And they last forever. I wish the matte pink shade was a little better, but the rest of the palette compensates for sure.

on 9/26/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The selection of mostly brown shadows presented in a tin shaped like a Hershey bar was a stroke of genius – this is a top seller that spawned sequels: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Chocolate Bon Bons, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Peanut Butter & Honey, and the Sweet Peach palette.

I didn’t hop on the bandwagon right away so I ended up buying the second generation of the original Chocolate Bar palette. The colors are the same but the packaging is slimmer and the names are printed above the pans. The first run was in a bulkier tin and the names were printed on an easy-to-lose plastic insert. It still comes with a little pamphlet that includes diagrams of three eye designs.

Performance:

Too Faced recommends using their Shadow Insurance eye primer as a base. If you already own a tube of something similar such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion or MAC’s Prep + Prime eye base, you can procrastinate buying their primer, but it does help the shadows last longer without losing intensity. In lieu of eye primer I’ve been able to use Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss with good results. The texture of the Caviar Stick is ever-so-slightly tacky so powders cling to it.

Some of the shadows have better pigmentation than others. Most of them blend nicely with good brushes. I like to use the Wayne Goss eye brushes, but MAC 221 and Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush are also great for the crease. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender and MAC 217 are blending brushes I reach for often. Tilbury’s smudge brush is good for running color along the lower lashline.

Colors:

My favorite mattes in this palette are:

White Chocolate: This is a cream colored base shade. I’m glad they made this pan larger because I include this highlight color every time I use Chocolate Bar.

Salted Caramel: This peachy tan goes on smoothly and it’s a wonderful transition shade. You can apply the darker colors over it and they never look muddy. I will probably hit pan on this one first.

Milk Chocolate: Another warm beige but less peachy than Salted Caramel, another good transition color.

Semi-Sweet: Great matte brown crease color - I rely on this one a lot, along with Hazelnut.

Triple Fudge: Fudge is rich and dark but surprisingly easy to blend with soft brushes.

I also like Cherry Cordial, a burgundy which is a nice change from some of the more predictable browns, and Strawberry Bon Bon, a cool pink that is easy to work with.

My favorite shimmers are:

Gilded Ganache – this looks olive in the pan but easily blends with the browns and doesn’t look crazy green on the eyes.

Crème Brulee – a gorgeous antique gold with great pigmentation.

Haute Chocolate – a shimmery brown, similar in depth to Hazelnut.

Marzipan – a pale peachy beige shimmer.

Champagne Truffle - a shimmery base shade.

I usually love purple, so I’m surprised that my least favorite shades in this palette are Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle. Both are smoky, greyish and metallic. There are more vibrant purples in the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette. Amaretto looks promising in the pan but I have to work to build it up.

Fallout:

These are soft powders and when you pack them on you are bound to get a light dusting of cocoa-colored shadow on the cheekbones. Tapping the excess off your brush before applying color to the lids reduces the amount of fallout, but even so I frequently find myself tidying up afterward. So when I’m working with this palette I actually prefer to do my eye makeup first and my foundation afterward. I've noticed that Charlotte Tilbury's shadows are neater, less dusty. Even the Too Faced Peanut Butter palettes seem to generate less fallout than Chocolate Bar.

The Fragrance:

These powders smell like chocolate. I bought this for the colors and usually prefer fragrance free shadow. However, the scent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Chocolate Bar and I use it a lot.

The Verdict:

The adorable packaging and step-by-step instructions make this an irresistible gift for teens. It’s a nice range of neutrals that doesn’t put you to sleep.

I’ve been especially pleased with the wear of these shades: Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Semi-Sweet, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Hazelnut, Marzipan, and Gilded Ganache when packed on for a smoky eye.

Although I trust the magnetic closure at home I prefer something that clicks shut to go in my suitcase. When I pack for trips I’m more likely to grab Too Faced’s smaller nine-pan tins.

The mid-range prices of Too Faced are easier to afford than brands like Tom Ford, whose quads are $85 each. If you’re interested in this palette, look for sales on the Too Faced website as well as Ulta, Sephora, and Macy’s. The retail price of Chocolate Bar is $49 but I bought mine during a promotion for $39.

I liked Chocolate Bar enough that I went on to purchase the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, both of the Peanut Butter nine-pan tins, Just Peachy Mattes, and Kandee Johnson’s Candy Eyes. I don't think Chocolate Bar is a perfect palette (hence the 4 out of 5 rating) but it's certainly a good one and I reach for it often.

on 5/29/2017 7:21:00 AM

I was excited about these palettes when I first got them in my hands, but the more I try to use them, the less I care. Chocolate Bar in particular i find lacks quality for the price ($59CAN). Ill still use it, the shadows are workable but I dont find they make a great impact. Im very light NC20 or lighter, I use es primer and a lot of the shades need to be packed on to show up, and they're quite lackluster. The browns are decent for definition. Regardless, they can still work well for every day use, but out of all these palettes, Bonbons performed the best. I adore the packaging and the smell though.

EDIT: after trying this again after some time, something changed. Perhaps my expectations were different at the time I wrote the review. Ive been really enjoying this palette lately and all the colours seem to work fanatically. The shadows are not what I'd call buttery soft and they are really pressed in, but I've been enjoying every single look I've gotten out of it since I picked it up again. Cherry Cordal has been a staple and I'm loving Strawberry Bonbon as a transition/blending shade. I also realized that Champagne Truffle makes a fantastic subtle champagne highlight on my cheekbones. I'm getting a ton of use out of this now!

on 5/1/2017 4:13:00 AM

I don't get this. I don't get the hype. This palette is so boring to me. Not enough warm tones, they all look similar. The browns are nothing special. The purples are hopeless to work with, the olive green colour shows up as a brown on the eyes, marzipan doesn't even show up properly on my lids and that was the colour I was looking forward to the most. Just such a boring palette. Not worth the money

on 4/10/2017 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This palette is a gorgeous neutral palette with very wearable warm and cool neutrals for all complexions. The pigmentation is excellent, and I've used every single color in this palette, which is something I've never done with any eyeshadow palette. The warm colors are neutral enough to be used for cool skin tones, which is unusual from my experience. Warm colors, even neutrals, pull orange on me, but I can wear these with ease.

The reason I didn't give this palette a 5 is that the shimmery shadows are too metallic looking for my aging eyes, and there are a couple of glittery colors, which aren't OTT glitter, but just enough to make me not want to wear them because the glitter is noticeable. This is unfortunate because the color combos with this palette are endless. There are a few matte shades, but not as many as I would've hoped.

I would still recommend this palette to anyone, and I will still use it, but I will reserve the high shimmer shades for evenings out.

on 4/10/2017 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I got this palette over a half a year ago and I've loved it since day one. The chocolate bar palette is an incredibly popular palette for a reason. The shades are super blendable which makes it beginner-friendly too, there's the neutrals, the fun colors and the darkest color, "triple fudge", which proves that you don't always need black in the outer corner to make a stunning, dimensional eye look. Most shades I absolutely adore, such as salted caramel, marzipan, milk chocolate, semi sweet and champagne truffle. The neutrals aren't boring and they're very unique. There are amazing transitional shades and really pretty shimmers. Candied violet and strawberry bon bon are fun shades to play around with. This is my go-to palette when I'm travelling for example, it's so versatile. The smell is addicting, and recently, for example, my friend confessed to have been sniffing my palette while we were sharing a hotel room and I was having a shower, which I totally relate to. I'm so happy I made this purchase because I've learned so much through it and pretty much all of my favorite eye looks I've made with this palette!

on 2/28/2017 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My everyday eyeshadow palette, I have a large collection of eyeshadow palettes and I literally use this every day for work and most of the time for going out on weekends - only reach for another if i need a pop of colour or I'm experimenting. The smell is amazing and I adore the packaging. The shadows blend out easily and have great pigment, all except the light pink shade which i find absolutely useless.