The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

4.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Synthetic Wax (Binder/Emollient), PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil/Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Skin Conditioning Agent - Emollient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Aqua/Water (Solvent/Diluent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract (Natural Additive), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster).

on 4/2/2018 4:18:00 PM

Mixed feeling about this one. It's a good cleanser, leaving the face super clean and soft. But it made me break out like crazy and I am still dealing with the cystic acne I got after using this product for some weeks only. Might be a better option for girls with dry or medium skin though.

on 2/23/2018 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has gotten such good reviews compared to TTDO from Clinique that I was sure I was going to love it, but that didn't happen.

I have rated TTDO a 4/5, because it cleans slightly worse than my favorite makeup remover, and it costs more, however, it's a decent cleansing balm. The Chamomile cleaning balm however, does not work well for me. It cleans worse that TTDO - I tested this by swiping my face with a cotton pad with toner after washing my face, after using TTDO and the Chamomile Butter, and the pad had way more makeup on it when I used this. I use quite a few long-wearing, waterproof, heavy products, and I need a really good makeup remover to keep my skin in good condition.

Generally, I'm left with an oily layer of some kind of residue on my face when I use this balm, and the layer is hard to get off even with forming cleanser. Those with dehydrated or really dry skin might like this residue, but I don't, because it means my makeup is not fully removed.

Further, I really dislike the smell of this. I generally avoid perfume in skin care, but this was a particularly offensive smell to me; when I open the box, I can smell this from a couple of feet away. It's heavily fragranced, the perfume stings my eyes when I use it to remove my mascara, and it gets into my mouth when removing lipstick, and tastes nasty - I don't want to taste perfume when removing my makeup!

Lastly, the price of this is about half of TTDO, but the amount you get is also about half, so I'm not feeling I'm getting a much better deal price-wise. Also, I bought this to travel with, as it is not a liquid, however, I think the TTDO Balm might be better in this case: it stays solid up to a higher temperature and has a more secure lid. The Chamomile Butter liquefies quite easily (handy when you are at home though), and I can't say I trust the container to not leak if the cleanser melts

on 2/22/2018 4:38:00 PM

This cleanser is the perfect dupe for the Clinique Take The Day Off balm. It has a similair texture, spreads just as easily and is pretty easy to rinse off with a konjac sponge. It's also pretty damn affordable, considering you only need very little to spread it all over your face. It gets all my make-up off and will allow you to massage your face too if you wish to do so. It did leave my skin kinda tight feeling, which surprised me considering most balm cleansers leave my face moisturized.

However, I have a few issues with this product.
1) The fragrance. The older I get, the more tired I become of companies that market themselves as natural and keep on using fragrance in their products. Enough already. I'm a grown ass woman and I don't need my skincare to smell amazing in order for me to want to buy it. I want it do good things to my face and fragrance doesn't do good things for the face.
2) Stings the eyes. With any balm, I run it over my eyes after I've taken my make-up with a cotton pad in order to get the last bits off and if I keep it on a little too long, my eyes start full on itching that progresses into a sting. This is something the Clinique balm doesn't do for me.
3. A bitch to open. I had to use some serious muscle to open it for the first time. Who ever came up with the idea to put the lid on as tight as spanx needs to re-evaluate that decision. It's just not necessary.

Having mentioned these issues, the overall experience with this product isn't bad at all, but out of all the balms I've tried, this one won't be bought again.
I will say though, if you are looking into using a balm cleanser but you don't want to spend heavy coin while doing so, this is a good option.

on 1/28/2018 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great for sensitive skin or those wanting to double-cleanse.

I use this to take my makeup off at the end of the day before I go in with a gel cleanser. Just a little bit gets everything off - foundation, waterproof mascara, eyebrow makeup. Has a nice, light, natural scent and doesn't leave any greasy residue on the skin.

I have sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin and this has yet to irritate me.

PROS:
-cruelty-free
-cost efficient
-doesn't break me out
-gets everything off

CONS:
-tin packaging sometimes a little difficult to manage

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this make up remover. Having dry skin, the buttery texture makes my skin feel lovely as well as removing all my make up. I apply it directly to my face and use my clean hands to melt it and work it in, then remove it with cotton pads. I find it melts off all my make up, even the stubborn waterproof stuff! It's also very gentle as my skin can be sensitive to certain products. A tin lasts a long time so it's worth it. Also being a robust, flat tin, it's perfect for travel. I've repurchased this a few times, and will continue to do so.

on 1/10/2018 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This did not remove my eye-makeup. It just smears it around my face. It also left an oily film after I rinsed my face. But it smells good :)

on 1/3/2018 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Doesn't work well for eye makeup. It makes a mess of it and a lot of mascara/eyeliner/shadow ends up in my waterline, which means extra work to remove from there with cotton buds. When I use my current HG garnier micellar water (pink cap ) all my eye makeup is gone in two sweeps of the saturated cotton square.

Also it doesn't rinse clean. It leaves a light weight, soft film behind wich is good for dry skinned people, but not for my oily face. Because of this I would only use it to remove very tenacious makeup and suncreen (estee double wear, mineral sunblock, liquid lip) AFTER removing eye makeup, and follow it up with a face wash.

Since most days I use chemical sunscreen , non water proof mascara, and Loreal Pro Matte as foundation (plus powder color cosmetics) I have no need to use a balm, my Garnier Micellar water is a great pre cleanse for eyes and face. Quick and not messy.

That said the texture of this butter is great, very slippery. A little doesn't go a long way though and I need about a quarter size amount.

If I remember correctly I prefered the cleansing oil version of this butter. Still I'm giving it 4 stars since dry skin people will probably enjoy it.

To start, I'm one of those ladies who uses things like coconut oil and a washable make-up wipe (think knock-off makeup eraser cloth) to remove my makeup/skincare at the end of the day. But I was feeling indulgent one day so I picked up this butter/balm to test out.

This cleansing butter smells very nice, and it I found that it definitely worked at removing my makeup, including mascara (not the waterproof variety, I don't own any so I don't know how well it works on that). I found that I did have to work it into my eyeliner for that to come off easily.

I bought this during one of the Body Shop's sales, a few months back. It lasted me about 4 months, which in my opinion, is not a very long time. This could also be due to the fact that I found I had to use a lot of the butter to get enough of it on my face to work, I used about the size of a walnut.

It did rinse away nicely though, like most cleansing oils, it rinsed away cleanly in a milky texture taking the makeup/residue with it, I found that it left my skin feeling a tad dry after rinsing, but my biggest issue with this cleansing butter is that it made my eyes burn something fierce every time I used it. I did not like that about it, and for that reason alone I would not repurchase.

I'm off to try some other cleansing oils/balms. Or maybe just stick to my tried and true methods.

on 11/17/2017 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used a lot of expensive cleansers in the past such as Clarins, Liz earle, elemis and temple spa. Elemis being my favourite but since having a baby I cannot condone spending so much on a cleanser so I decided to try this one from the body shop.

This manages to take off all of my make up easily. I have waited a week to write this review to see if this was drying or made me break out but it did neither. My skin is soft and looks healthy. Would definitely buy again!!

on 11/8/2017 4:09:00 PM

Before using this I used the same name oil cleanser which came in a pump bottle. Unfortunately it used to leak a lot and wasn't travel friendly. So I decided to move onto this when it was finished.

Very good as a makeup remover, I double cleanse with this if I am wearing makeup - applying this first to dry skin, rinsing, then following with my regular cleanser. It removes everything! I always double cleanse when using this as I don't think my skin will take nicely to this alone. Has a floral scent to it and looks like solid coconut oil, it melts quickly in the hands but doesn't turn into a completely thin oil unlike the oil cleanser of the same name (this is expected). It is like a thicker oil (maybe it's the cold weather).

Recommend for 1st step of makeup removal followed by your regular cleanser. If I have a full face of makeup I like using this over micellar water as it's not drying, and I don't have to pull at my skin to remove makeup.