Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish
No Title

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Natural? Not even. Great as a makeup remover? Nah just so-so. Good for all skintypes? Not on your life. I fell for the hype and came out the loser. This very ordinary cleanser made my dry skin look like a piece of toast--my skin was so crispy!! And the muslin cloths are a nice touch but I prefer my cheapo white washcloths--use and toss in the wash w/o a second thought, and if one is ruined no big deal. I used a very gentle toner on my face after washing to test if my makeup was gone and nope still on in places and C & P barely budged my eye makeup. In addition this cleanser contains eucalyptus oil and a lot of it--smells like my Soul Owner foot cream and imagine using that on your face--what was I thinking? And all in an effort to find something to loosen my makeup. For the wonderful "naturally active" ingredients take a gander:

Water, capric/caprylic triglyceride, cocoa seed butter, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl esthers, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, glycerin, beeswax, propylene glycol, hops extract, panthenol, rosemary extract, chamomile extract, sweet almond extract, eucalyptus extract, limonene, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, benzoic acid, ethylhexylglycerin, dehydroacetic acid, polyaminopropyl biguanide.

on 9/2/2007 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this cleanser. I have OSPW skin and have started using Retin-A. I was having the worst time with dry irritated skin, so finding this cleanser has been a godsend. I use it both morning and night with the muslin cloth and it lightly removes all cosmetics and leaves my skin moisturized and exfoliated. No irritation and no breakouts. I originally ordered from HSN, but I much prefer Liz Earle's website. She has a flat charge of $7.00 for ordering (no limit) and always includes a sample of a product. I have been very happy with all of my purchases from Liz Earle. I think the pricing is fair and I like the business philosophy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this cleanser. It has a rich, creamy texture to it and is perfect for my dry (DRPW) skin. You apply the cleanser to your dry face and then work it in good (works great at taking off mascara as well). Then you rinse out the muslin cloth in hot water and 'polish' your face.

The pump applicator dispenses the exact amount you need so there's no waste either. I order from lizearle.com and they are always very quick and good with their postage.

EDIT: I've decided to switch cleansers to something a bit stronger (MD Forte III Cleanser) so I'll leave this for when my skin needs a bit of TLC.

My mother bought me this along with other Liz Earle products on my 30th birthday as she thought it was "high time" I started a "proper grownup" skincare routine.... and you know what, it ain't half bad, but given I'm now 33 (!) I should probably throw it away now as I should imagine it's past it's "best before" date by this time.... I just find you don't need very much at all to get everything off your face, it's mild and creamy and seems to melt makeup with hardly any product or effort at all.

The other problem is, "proper grownup" or not, my skin still breaks out a lot, and although the Liz Earle cleanser's great for every day, I find I still need to bring out something more specifically designed to combat oiliness at certain times of the month etc. Cleanse and Polish *is* quite deep-cleansing as it's got clay in it, and it DOES gently exfoliate, but my skin often demands a bit more than that.

Finally, not a fan of the muslin cloth at all. It seems gimmicky and daft. I just use a normal cloth and follow up with Liz Earle tonic toner. continued >>

on 11/28/2006 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

the beast cleanser i have ever tried and at 38 i have tried loads

on 7/6/2006 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Excellent cleanser, creamy without being too thick and heavy, gentle on my sensitive skin, fragrance is pleasant and dissipates quickly. I think the muslin cloths are a bit silly though - I cut them up to use for spice bags in the kitchen, and just use good old fashioned towelling flannel (washcloth) - as I have all my life with any cleanser - and that's that. Their web site / mail order service is excellent, the woman on the phone was really helpful and knowledgeable about the line and ingredients. If you are in london, you can get some of the products from Brown's on South Molton Street.

on 2/13/2006 2:13:00 PM

I am forever looking for the best cleanser for my skin, and with the hype of a new product forget my old favourite which is Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish (have only just realised this is where all the reviews are duh!). I have used this on and off for 9yrs and for the past few years when I have used just LE products my skin (which is n/c with the blackheads and the spots around the jaw-line) has never looked clearer and has never had as many compliments. It does the job, without stinging or irritation, and my skin is soft and comfortable. A winner.
UPDATE: I do love this cleanser for its gentleness, but invariably after using it for a couple of weeks I develop spots which are not cleared. The good points are that I can use it around my eyes with no stinging, it is fairly cheap, it feels very cooling on my sensitive skin. However I find that I never feel completely clean after use, and those spots...so I've docked a few lippies, as others have said, there is Cocoa butter in here which I do feel does clog the pores.

on 11/23/2005 11:52:00 PM

UPDATE***12/1/05***I hate this! I hate that I love this cleanser so much...I'm liking it better and better, and my skin is looking fresher every day. Not only have I not grown tired of it, I've grown in NEED of it. Nothing has ever gotten my pores so clean (with the help of the dear cloths) and left my skin so radiant & soft. I'm mostly using DERMAdoctor's glycolic cleanser in the morning and Liz Earl's in the evening. I love the creamy massage I get to use with this routine and the little steam I get when I press the hot cloth onto my face. I love what this is doing for my skin! ***END UPDATE*** I can attest that since I've been skin-care shopping (and hopping) in the last few years, I haven't used a cleanser this long, or this religiously yet. I always get excited about new products, use them for a short time, keep them around forever, and hardly ever rebuy even if I run out. It's especially hard for me to get motivated to order a product online and wait for it to arrive in the mail...it's a headache, and paying shipping just makes me mad. Further, since I'm in the US, and shipping from Liz Earle in the UK is exorbitant, I hesitate to buy anything from them again. But I will...I love this cleanser. I've been using it for about 3 weeks straight with no problems whatsoever... On the contrary, this creamy cleanser keeps my giant sized pores cleaned out perfectly. It took me a long time to learn that instead of drying my skin to death to keep it clear, and making it rebound oily as well, all it really needed was some oils to melt into those pores and dissolve the gunk in there. Then that dirt can be easily washed out during either rinsing, or in Liz Earle's case, cloth exfoliation. The concept is fool proof. I probably could have avoided a lot of skin grief if I had had this product years ago. So, yes, I will purchase this product again...aughhh, and even pay the darned shipping fees. It leaves the skin soft, perfectly conditioned and healthy, speaks to my "natural" inclinations, and smells wonderful(much like the old Noxema cream). Good stuff...

on 11/1/2005 8:02:00 AM

This cleanser certainly keeps a good balance with the skin. My skin always feels cleansed but not tight after using. I like the muslin cloths that gently exfoliate every time you use it. Unfortunately, I was looking for a miracle cleanser that would really clear up my acne. Whilst this has reduced my acne a bit over the 2 months I've been using it, I won't repurchase as it costs too much to ship it over to Australia.

on 7/15/2005 5:21:00 AM

Having very normal fair porclain / peaches & cream skin which needs to be kept 100% perfect as possible because I don't like wearing foundations.

I use Liz Earles' Cleanse & Polish + muslin cloth + Toner + Moisturiser last thing at night and 1st thing in the morning. I find these 3 main products excellent for maintaining a soft, healthy complexion.

I use Boots Botanics (Foaming) Cleanser and Serum to freshen up during the day, especially during summer, as they are also excellent performing products but for an even lower price; but the Botanics Cleanser doesn't have the exfoliating / polishing capabilities of Liz Earles' Cleanse & Polish so its not a good substitute, but compliments nicely and saves me from over-spending on my Liz Earle essentials.

Popular Face Skincare Products