Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.8

Not tested on animals

on 12/27/2014 7:54:00 PM

I wanted so badly to love this but it made my skin break out horribly! I used this consistently for 3 months because it can take a little while for my sensitive skin to adjust to new products, but by the end of the trial period my face was a cystic acne mess and It took months to get my skin back to it's original condition. Really disappointing.

on 9/16/2014 3:12:00 PM

I can see why this is a UK cult product. It works. Very effective at cleansing without stripping. Gets all the makeup and sunscreen off. I use it only at the end of the day and in the shower. Works as well as dhc cleasing oil. This is not a liquid. It is more like a cream/balm. One pump, rubbed all over the face, then use a hot cloth muslim that wipes it all away.

ingredient list has some natural ingredients, but is by no means an all natural product. No parabens. Not scent- free, but no artificial icky smell either. Light herby scent, which does not give me a headache like most products do.

Kinda of a pain to have to always wash the face muslim, but small price to pay for a grt product.

You can purchase it online, free S&H.

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

This cleanser was first recommended to me by a colleague in the office who on asking what facial products I used, was dismayed to learn Iíd never heard of Liz Earlís products. She promoted that it did everything from clearing up warts to singing and dancing. To keep her quiet, I went on to the Liz Earl site to read about it for myself; it sounded fab but then any good marketing specialist can make anything look attractive. I compromised by buying the ĎTry meí kit to satisfy my curiosity whilst not breaking the bank.
The cleanser when it arrived was in a small 50 ml pump. It was thick and creamy without being greasy, and smelled of herbs. I tried it with the muslin cloth and was pleasantly surprised at the results: it left my skin feeling clean from the inside, not tight, but best of all, feeling refreshed.

I began using it after that and noticed the change in my skin texture. Iíve had rough skin before due to oily breakouts but these were fading. Also, my skin felt better and certainly looked more even in tone. The best bit was cleaning around the eyebrow area, the muslin cloth got rid of everything which water and cleanser alone never manage.

Eight years on, I still use this cleanser once a day. I have no acne or scars and my skin is an even tone. While itís not the cheapest cleanser out there, it can be made to go further if you buy the 200 ml tube. You know exactly how much is less and it last longer than two bottles of the 100 ml pump.

Itíll be a lie to say itís suitable for all skin types Ė it isnít, but those of my friends who tried it who donít have very sensitive skin have converted to it. One friends skin however didnít take to it, so I advise you to check the ingredients strongly before you buy. Otherwise it can be a costly mistake.

on 7/15/2014 12:53:00 AM

Ugh, i gave this cleanser a good run and it made my skin much worse. It broke me out, left a definite film (yes I used the cloth) and irritated my skin/made me increasingly flushed as the days passed. One of the worst cleansers I've ever used. Maybe my skin is too sensitive, acne prone and clog prone for this. It's probably meant for dry skin.

I'm in love with this product!! Removes my (all too much) eye makeup in a single wipe and my skin feels amazing after! Best product I've used.

Have been using all kind of cleansers over the years - milk, mousse, balm and more recently micellaire water, which I find horrible as it just does not clean no matter the brand, but nothing, absolutely nothing comes close to this. Not Eve Lom, not Ren (which I stll think makes very good products), not Dermalogica, not Clinique, Clarins and the likes. I would get OK results with a milk cleanser/Clarisonic combo but Cleans&Polish is more effective, more gentle, less time-consuming and easier to use. It removes mascara and eye shadow, it REALLY keeps pores junk-free and my skin colour looks more uniform.

Before my very first application, I got a facial done so I started off with clean skin. A month down the line, using it twice a day, and my pores are still clean and I couldn't ask for more.

EDIT - not realising that my second bottle was finishing (yep packaging isn't great), and given that in Italy I can only get it through mail order, I went and bought a very basic though delicate cleanser to use while waiting for my Cleans&Polish to arrive. I hate wasting products so I forced myself to use the cheap cleanser up (with LE cloth) before switching to Cleans&Polish again and... the results are as good! I really think that what we should be praising here is the cloth more than the product itself! Won't be purchasing Cleans&Polish again.

Overall I really enjoyed using this product. I love the design of the packaging. The pump means you don't accidentally squirt too much out. The cleanser is soft and moisturising and one of the best I have used. My only personal down fall was the miniaturisation level just wasn't quite high enough for me. Will still be a staple product in the back of my cupboard for those really sensitive skin days.

This is the first cleanser in a very long time that didn't leave my skin feeling stripped and tight afterwards! It is a fairly thick cream and feels quite luxurious to put on -maybe because it is quite moisturising and you know its expensive- but it takes quite a lot of effort to remove. The smell is different to other cleansers I have used. Quite herbal. Don't like or dislike the smell. Importantly it is one of the few products that have helped my stubborn spots! I dint know why except I have been told stripping the skin which this does not do causes it to produce more oil. I have bought it again but it will just be too expensive to continue using in the long term unfortunately.

This product smells lovley and is very pleasent to use, however i prefer the consistancy of the no7 hot cloth cleanser, the liz earle was not as easy to massage into my skin. it cleaned my skin and left it smooth but other then that i didnt really think it was anything special and for the hefty price tag i highly doubt i would buy this again.

Popular Face Skincare Products