Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.8

Not tested on animals

on 3/15/2015 7:15:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

"If you ran out or lost this product would you buy it again?" - Yeah, maybe if I couldn't get hold of the Clinique Take The Day Off Balm.

This feels smooth and creamy to apply. It's also economical, as I found I only needed one pump (which doesn't dispense very much) for my whole face, possibly an extra wee half pump more if you're wearing more than just mascara or brow make up. However, much as I liked the fresh, herbal smell, I wonder if it was the cause of the initially pleasant, cold, tingling sensation on my face. While sometimes it made my face feel softer, at times my face was also slightly red and patchy after applying it. I wondered if perhaps my skin was too sensitive to the hot cleanser, but it seems to be OK with its replacement of Clinique TTDOB. Sensitive skins approach with caution maybe.

I will happily I jumped head first onto the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish bandwagon. After reading rave reviews everywhere I went I figured I would give it a shot.

The product itself is a creamy texture and felt nice on the skin, used in conjunction with the muslin cloth it had a nice exfoliating effect and therein lay the problem for me. This product felt quite stripping on my skin and really dried me out. I found that I had a lot more flaky skin and it broke me out on my cheeks where I almost never break out.

Overall I really wanted to love it, especially because it was so expensive, but I ended up donating to a friend who raves about it and will use nothing else. It obviously works for a lot of people so it may be worth giving it a try it just didnt rock my world.

on 12/27/2014 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using Liz Earle for a few years now and love the products - especially the hot cloth cleanse and polish. I have oily skin that breaks out regularly so I wear a lot of make up to cover up , this cleanser gets rids of all dirt and make up and isn't too harsh on the skin. My mum also uses this so it's perfect at all ages! I love the packaging, looks nice in my bathroom and it is good value for money. They always send you a free travel size cleanse and polish with purchases direct from the website which are perfect for overnight stays when not at home.

Liz Earle you have saved me from terrible break outs. Since using this in the morning to wash my face gently my skin is so much better. I know acne is made worse by harsh washing but I couldn't help it because all other cream cleansers left my face just not feeling clean! But this is great! I use a flannel run it under hot water and use it to wipe the cleanser off my face gently. To all those acne sufferers with harsh skincare routines. Less is really more try this in the morning for a month you will see the difference.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

---- Have updated review under the line ------

Firstly, this product is amazing! I got a sample from John Lewis which was the small 50ml bottle and has lasted me around two weeks morning and evening. I have sensitive skin which means I break out and have extremely dry skin but this cleared both problems up. The creamy cleanser feels moisturising and when removed with the muslim cloth, feels exfoliated. I didn't even have to put my usual heavy duty moisturiser or sensitive skin toner with it! people have also commented on how clear and radiant my skin looks. Seriously recommend if you're looking for a product for sensitive/blemish ridden skin, however my skin does get used to skincare products quickly but this has been nothing but good to my skin.

------------------------------------

UPDATE: 20/2/15 Had to reduce this to 2 lippies as after continuous use it REALLY upset my skin, caused me to breakout/have a rash and wasn't pleasant to my skin at all! My skin constantly felt tight after this, even with my rich moisturiser. I'm disappointed as I thought this would be my HG cleanser.

on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

on 9/13/2014 9:49:00 PM

This is a nice, lightweight cleansing milk which can be buffed away with a muslin cloth. It is not as moisturizing as Ren or Balm Balms cleansing balms, but it washes off with no residue. I like how the cleanse and polish cleans and leaves my skin feeling smooth. I am not a fan of the eucalyptus scent, but it is tolerable. I would repurchase this product.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm newly converted to this. I bought it for going on holidays. Taking one bottle is a lot easier than carrying multiple bottles of cleansers, toners, eye makeup removers, exfoliators... Right? This stuff is amazing and I truly believe it does everything I mentioned above. It is soothing to apply, it melts away foundation and eye makeup and the muslin cloth removes everything beautifully without leaving your skin feel either tight and bothered or tacky. My skin has improved since I started using it and I love the convenience of it. It takes a lot to get me excited about a makeup remover, but this is lovely and I would recommend it to most people. A little bit goes a long way.

I am mega fussy with the products that I put on my face as I'm very prone to both breakouts and sensitivity. This keeps my skin perfectly clear and balanced and breakout free! I have repurchased this 4 times now so I think that speaks for iteself.
Not tested on animals either, which is a bonus.

on 8/19/2014 3:01:00 AM

I started using this cleanser after reacting badly to a Clinique moisturiser. I was looking for something to calm down my skin and get rid of the 10 cystic spots I had developed as a result of the reaction to the moisturiser. I bought the cleanse and polish, spritz toner and normal combination skin repair moisturiser. For the first week or so I loved this product. My skin was definitely glowing more and felt really clean. I was expecting the spots to start disappearing by the second week but I found that more spots were appearing in strange places like around my cheeks where I do not usually have spots. After a month I stopped using the product as the spots were getting worse. It was a shame as the areas which were spot free looked great. Eventually once my skin had cleared up I gave the cleanser another go only to find that it gave me spots again so I will not be repurchasing.