4.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

8 months ago

I am writing this review because this product, while truly awesome and a fantastic value for the money, is confusing and doesn't have much in the way of instructions. Once I worked out how to use it effectively, its awesomeness was revealed. I want to share that awesomeness with you. This is the only cuticle remover I will ever need. (In fact, this particular bottle of this cuticle remover is the only one I will probably ever need. *Massive* bottle, very little product needed per use.) Make no mistake, this remover is srs bzns. It is very basic/alkaline and must be used with care as it can and will tear up your nails when used improperly. Having said that, it is not hard to use it with care, and with regular use will handle all your cuticle removal needs easily and conveniently. I have a pictorial thing on my notepad explaining how I use it. I will briefly recap that here. To use it the way I use it, you will need a couple of Q-tips, maybe a nail brush, a soft cloth of some kind (baby washcloth is great), and some kind of non-metal pusher thing if desired. (I do not always desire.) A clean cuticle nipper is a good thing to have handy. Also some cuticle oil or whatever you like to finish up. For the new-to-cuticle-removal crowd: the stuff you are removing is the thin, papery, barely visible stuff that grows out from under the eponychium and covers your nail. Cuticle is your body's defense against germs sneaking in there. (Thanks, body. Appreciate it, but cuticle also prevents polish from adhering well so it gots to go). I remove my cuticles once a week, usually the day before I do a polish change, and before my shower. I do it with my polish still on. It takes about five minutes. This remover is liquid and very runny, which can be confusing to a first-time user. For ease of use, I decant it into a small--about 2 oz--glass dropper bottle. I work with one hand at a time. With dry, unwashed hands, I drop 1-2 drops onto the cuticle area of one hand only, so they sort of fill up. Then I wet a Q-tip with the remover and commence to scrub the base of the nails with the Q-tip. Immediately I see the white papery cuticle begin to ball up and come off and roll around. I just use the same Q-tip to do all 5 nails, then do a second pass to really get it disengaged and out from under the eponychium. The soft blunt Q-tip prevents me from getting too excited and damaging my nail or cutting up the eponychium. It's been five years since I posted this review originally and here I said that I don't use a pusher. Nowadays I do, I use a Tweezerman pushy. I have been doing this a long time and feel comfortable using that tool. I don't recommend starting out with it, though. It's too easy to tear your nails up with a metal pusher if you are not familiar with the process. Then immediately I rinse the nails under running water and scrub with a little mild hand soap and a nail brush. Sometimes I use the other end of the Q-tip, dry, to scrub the area again, just to be sure all the bits are off. Then I use the dry baby washcloth to finish the scrubbing. None of this should hurt. You might have a little bit of sticking-out hangnail on one or more nails. Don't panic. Put some cuticle oil on the whole business and then do your other hand. After it's all done and the oil or whatever has soaked in nicely, you can use a nipper to just gently clip off anything that might be hanging. Nip is the key word here. Used this way, I have never experienced any negative effects from this remover and it is the fastest, gentlest, easiest way to remove cuticles and at the same time prep the newly-emerged nail surface for painting. Done regularly, you will never have cuticle overgrowth compromising your manicure. I hope this is helpful. I love this product and will never need another remover. I hate that it is so mysterious and unlabeled and what have you, I feel like it's really easy to misunderstand it and miss out. Thank you for reading!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

2 years ago

This is the HG of cuticle removers and callous softening. The bottle is huge and unwieldly, but easy to dispense into a smaller bottle for regular use. My feet were scary bad after this rough Winter and I am so glad that this made them more presentable. Use 1: I usually take a qtip and rub it along my cuticles, wait a few minutes and wash my hands. When I forget my hands are not very forgiving and I can get some very unhappy hang nails. I keep a tiny amount in a glass dropper bottle. Use 2: I soak my feet in warm soapy water, then dry them well. I get two plastic bags, two cotton pads and put a generous amount on the cotton. I put the pads on my heels, then the bag, then big socks. I never leave this on more than 8 minutes, then wash off thoroughly. Afterward you should be able to easily buff off any dead skin, just be careful to not exfoliate too much. A good lotion after and your feet should look good as new. This is such an affordable and effective product. Just don't use it on broken skin or cracked heels, and be sure to wash it off well.

About reviewer (179 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesHazel

3 years ago

This thing is a game changer! I've tried many others including highly praised Sally Hansen that didn't work out for me and I'm very grateful that thanks to MUA I've found this one. It's very efficient, and it works fast. I put it on cuticles from the bottle dispenser, wait for about 30 seconds, and go with an orange stick to push cuticles back. I do it once a week, cut some skin when needed, this product makes it super soft. My cuticles were never in better shape! I'm a very careful person so I do not find this product to be messy or runny, it doesn't go all over the place, I have zero waste using it. I believe that small bottle will last me for more than two years. Highly recommend!

About reviewer (651 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

4 years ago

This cuticle remover has become a staple in my nail care routine. I purchased the 16 oz bottle from Sally's Beauty Supply after reading so many great reviews for this product. It quickly and painlessly removes the cuticle and dead skin around my nails and doesn't have an offensive smell. The only con is the super thin consistency, but for the value and performance of this product that can be easily over looked. I purchased this product almost a year ago and have used less that half an once of the product. I just fill up an empty cleaned out nail polish bottle to make the application easier. I highly recommend this product for people who do their manis and pedis at home as well as professionals.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Medium Brown

HairBrunette

4 years ago

I had my husband purchase a jumbo bottle from Sally for me, before I had ever tried this. I was that sure I'd love it. However, the first time I took it out to use it, I was shocked at how thin it was. I thought maybe it was the hot Tampa weather that turned it that way. Then I saw reviews and was like, phew, it's supposed to be like that. I am planning to move this into a bottle with a brush because I waste some when I pour it, especially on my toenails. Don't forget to gently rub it into your cuticles.

About reviewer (975 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

5 years ago

This stuff is the best cuticle remover I have ever used. It works like a charm and you don't have to wait for it to do it's job. Simply drip on, and use whatever tool you want to push cuticles back and soften them up. Great way to nip off dead skin too. My ONLY gripe is that it is so thin! Its runs all over if you're not careful

About reviewer (49 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlack

from

5 years ago

I've been using on and off the Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover but was never totally pleased with the results. I had a bottle of this blue cross a long time ago and remember I didn't like it because it was very watery and messy and wasted the whole bottle on a pedicure. Since then I repurchased the Sally Hansen one because it stays put (gel formula) and many many other cuticle "removers" that didn't remove anything. I decided it's time to give this one another try and I love it ...enough to get over how messy it is and how much product gets wasted but it's ok because it's cheap. <3

About reviewer (457 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

from

5 years ago

I have been using using the Sally Hansen Cuticle Remover (blue gel) for a while and I love that but sometimes wondered what would happen when I ran out of it as no one really seems to stock it here. (Brisbane) My research lead me to this one and after reading various blogs and reviews I searched for where I could get hold of it. I found it in Glamaco at Browns Plains and purchased the smaller 6 Fl OZ (180 mls or so) size to try as I didn't know how well it would work for me etc etc. They do stock a much bigger size bottle as well. My, my, my what a surprise. It hadn't been that long since I'd last done my cuticles but was absolutely dying to try the Blue Cross and I was stunned to see just how much stuff it removed. It doesn't doesn't have a terrible smell and even this small bottle looks like it will last me just about forever. It was $5 for the size I bought which considering the longevity of how long it will last and compared to other cuticle removers you can purchase in the shops it is an absolute bargin. Best way to apply this (it is a watery consistency) is by putting some into an old nail polish bottle (I used a konad special polish bottle) and then the application is easy and quick. It is well worth a try and you could even buy a bigger bottle and divide it amongst a few friends which should make it even better value. I'm very very happy that I decided to get this. Gets the job done brilliantly.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairRed

EyesBlue

1.0

5 years ago

Maybe I have exceptionally tough cuticles but this stuff does absolutely nothing for me. I read the reviews here and followed the directions but I might as well have just put some hand cream on them.

About reviewer (48 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

5 years ago

I always wondered what the techs at nail salons used to get my cuticles looking shiny brand new! Found this at sallys for $4.99 US, its going to last me forever! Not only does it work like a charm, quickly, painlessly, but at this rate i'll never run out! NO more clipping my cuticles off and cutting it too close!

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Olive, Warm