CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.6

on 3/3/2014 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I wrote one of the first reviews for this product about a year ago when it first came out. I initially wasn't impressed at all and my review reflected that. I've deleted that review because my thoughts on this product have drastically changed! Over the last four months my skin has become excessively dry and nothing - and I mean nothing - has helped. My entire forehead, nose, chin, mouth, and undereye area were all a yucky, flaky mess. I have a massive collection of various foundations, tinted moisturizers, and BB creams and I tried them all, but they all clung to the flakes and dry patches and looked horrible. I was about to give up on wearing makeup at all except for concealer where I needed it when I decided to try Clinique skincare, and the CC Cream again. I had recently read a review on here from someone who stated how important it was to find the right color match because if it was too light, it wouldn't apply well and would look horrible. When I first tried this product I tried a sample in Light. I didn't even bother putting it on my face because when I tested it on the inside of my wrist it looked way way too dark, so I went back and got a sample in Very Light. That one was way TOO light. It washed me out and it applied unevenly and looked dry and chalky as well. (For reference, I'm an NC15/NARS Gobi.) So I gave up on it and moved on.

This time when I went to the counter, they were out of Very Light so I picked up Light. (I was hoping to get both to mix.) To my surprise, It really wasn't all that dark once applied to my face. It was close enough that I've been able to wear it for the last five days to really test it out, and I love it! It applies smoothly (when applied correctly) and makes my skin look supple, hydrated, youthful, and radiant. It smooths over my pores, really evens out my skin tone perfectly, and can be built up to medium coverage. I started using Clinique skincare at the same time I started wearing this, and my skin looks wonderful. I don't have a single flake or dry patch on my face now. I just wash my face, apply a light layer of Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion +, and then apply the CC cream with my fingers or a flat top buffing brush. I don't have to set with powder and this stuff lasts a solid 8-10 hours on me, depending on what I'm doing that day. I never get shiny or oily and it keeps my skin hydrated. I'm so impressed with it that I've ordered a tube of the Very Light so I can mix the two to get a perfect match. Getting the right color match - specifically, NOT using a shade that's too light - really makes all the difference. It contains SPF 30 which is awesome, and it also photographs beautifully. Doesn't irritate my moderately sensitive skin, and is fragrance-free. I love this product and will definitely repurchase.

ETA: I hate to make this review even longer than it already was, but I just wanted to get back on here and say that I received my Very Light in the mail yesterday and am wearing it today - alone - and it's my perfect match. I've honestly never had a base product match me this perfectly before. I have to wonder if the sample I tried last year was just "bad" or something, as this applied just as smoothly as the Light did (which I will save for summer now) and is by no means too light for me. It looks beautiful and really brightens up my face! I think I've found my new HG day-to-day base product.

I really wanted to like this product as I normally do well with Clinique, but it was impossible. This product was absolutely horrid for me. I have forced myself to use half the bottle as it was expensive and I wanted to give it a fair shake, but it's intolerable and has to go. The formula is SO thick - I had to mix it with my regular moisturizer in order to even spread it evenly. Otherwise it just kind of got stuck on my skin and left streaks. The coverage, even cut w/a light moisturizer, is extremely heavy and cakey. It's the only product I've used that actually rubs off and leaves makeup marks on any piece of clothing it comes in contact with, not even my long wearing foundation does that. Worst of all, it gave me terrible cystic acne. I'm 33 years old and have never had breakouts but I'm guaranteed at least one huge and painful pimple every 2 weeks on this. Sadly, an all over fail.

on 6/14/2013 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The best BB/CC cream I have ever tried. I was in David Jones and had narrowed my choices of a new face cream to Dior's Nude BB Cream or Clinique's Moisture Surge CC Cream after hours of studying reviews on MUA.

I hate foundation as rule - my oily, acne prone skin means most foundations either shine and slide right off or are difficult to apply because they're oil free and somewhat drying. I also don't like the heavy coverage and breakouts that come with most cream foundations. Prior to this I used ModelCo's Fluid Splash foundation in Sand 02, because it's water based, doesn't clog pores and comes with matching concealer in the cap of the tube. In many ways, it's still my HG. But for everyday use, I think I will buy Clinique's Moisture Surge CC Cream as long as they continue to make it.

The moment the SA put this on my face in 'Light' (we seem to stock the US colours here in Australia, despite being physically closer to Asia), it just melted right into my skin. It was perfect. It looked just like my natural skin, but better. My red patches and most of my blemishes disappeared, and I was left with a slightly dewy, healthy glow. I still went to try the Dior after, but it just didn't compare. This CC Cream is oil free, moisturising, and has an SPF of 30. That means no pore clogging/breakouts, moisture and sun protection/anti-ageing benefits as well colour correcting in one tube! This is my first Clinique product, and I must say I'm very impressed. It's also surprisingly cheap for a high-end department store product at $45 AUD.

I should also add this is very much buildable and can be built up to a medium coverage. To get a more foundation-coverage, air-brushed look that feels as light as air on my face, I use this in conjunction with Bobbi Brown's Creamy Concealer (Ivory), YSL Touche Eclat (#2), and set it with YSL Matt Radiance Powder (#3 Biege). I went out to meet a girlfriend for dinner and she said my skin had never looked so perfect and natural. I can't rave about this product enough. A small amount goes a long way, so start small and just build up until you get the coverage you want.

If you're like me and are an oily-skinned girl looking for a replacement for foundation that doesn't cost the earth and has extra benefits, then look no further - this is the product for you!

on 4/21/2013 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

So I've held off in writing how much I love this product for a whole week, I just kept thinking this must be too good to be true!

First off my shade (fresh peach) is an exact match for my skin tone - normally i have an absolute headache trying to find the right shade and end up using a touch of bronzer to darken slightly or buying two foundations and having a good mix daily. This is a perfect my skin but better.

It feels light on my skin and hydrates throughout the day. My skin gets dry by the afternoon and begins to look dull - this just glosses right over than mid afternoon skin slump, without making my face look like I have dipped my face in a vat of oil. I knocked one mark off as I do have to use a tiny amount of translucent powder to set as it does take a little while to set itself.

It offers great buildable coverage. Not enough to cover some of my worst acne scars but it really evens out my face - add a wee spot of concealer (BB concealer kit) here and there and my skin looks flawless.

Add all the above to the fact that it has SPF 30 hidden away inside and I'm a very happy girl. Will definitely be repurchasing!

on 7/10/2016 1:15:00 PM

I am in love with this product. I recently had a horrible eczema breakout on my face. I had been using Bare Minerals serum foundation in the winter and Bare Minerals complexion rescue for warmer months. I never got quite enough coverage w the complexion rescue but it was nice for days when I was off work and didn't need long term coverage. Anyway...after my eczema break out, my doc put me on a Cerave only regime and my skin would just not even deal w the Bare Minerals any more. I then tried 6, yes 6, different bb, cc and regular foundations. Stila All Day Wear was very nice, but a little too matte for my taste. On a whim I tried the Clinique CC and holy crap, it is perfect for my Dry, Combination skin! It is good coverage (I use my finger tips to apply and beauty sponge a little extra around nose and under eyes) and has a perfect dewy look that lasts all day without getting too shiny or slick looking. I do use Lorac's "I'm so Sensative" primer and some setting powder on T-zone. I highly recommend this product....I have not had one issue w it irritating my eczema...it has actually made my skin plumper and more even toned. It doesn't settle in creases either...which may be I use a primer.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've never used a BB or CC cream, but I decided to give this one a try, as my skin is fortunately clear and doesn't really need foundation--just a sheer wash to polish my look.

I love this cream because, as a woman with pale skin, it is rather difficult to find coloured skin creams that aren't too pink or too yellow. This one is amazing. It goes on very smoothly, and matches my skin tone perfectly.

The fact that it is oil-free, contains sunscreen, and has a faint yet pleasant scent (no "sunscreen odour") is a major selling point for me. This just may be my HG CC cream! I will most definitely purchase this one again.

on 1/2/2016 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm a very pasty-white girl with very cool undertones and I was looking for something that would even out my skin and slight acne scarring without the heft of a real foundation. I'd been using Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream for a few months in the summer before I bought this and I loved it, but Retin-A makes my skin flaky in places so I wanted something more moisturizing. This has worked well - it does sometimes settle in flaky bits, but is movable enough that I can just layer more moisturizer over it and blend it in. Its consistency is easy to blend and I don't have to be as exact as I do with regular foundation because it's light and matches my skin tone perfectly, so I can be as lazy as I want (and am.) I would recommend having a good concealer to use alongside this - the coverage isn't nearly enough for under my eyes - but overall, if I set it with loose powder, it stays in place and looks good most of the day.

on 10/27/2015 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Just OK - not great, not bad. Light to medium coverage depending on how much you put on

Pros:
-non irritating
-medium, smooth coverage

Cons:
-Clinique foundations all seem to have red undertones to me. My niece was also wearing this one day and she looked like she was reading a mask (you could see the mark along her jawline although the color should have been appropriate for her). I looked at myself more closely and noticed that I looked more bronzy than usual but there was no lighter color in the line
-does not make my dry skin look any dewier so I think this may be a foundation for younger, moister skin types

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this on clients at the counter, and if the tone complements them it makes their skin look healthy and glowing. Here are some cons though: 1.Makes me break out. It probably won't make you break out, but since aloe gives me pimples that's why I have this problem. Would love my brand to make more oil free things that do not use aloe. 2. because of the Violet optics, the tones look a bit pink. Not very natural for a golden complexion. I do like this product, it's just not for me :/

on 3/24/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this. It's hydrating and dewy, but not greasy or shiny. It can be built up to a medium coverage and it lasts well throughout the day. I have shade light-medium and I am NC25/30 and this works well. I love the SPF 30 too!