CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.6

on 4/21/2013 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Today was only my first day of trying this product, but there is no doubt I'm hooked. Due to the fact that my skin requires full coverage, thanks to cystic acne, I had yet to try a product like this. BB creams are simply too sheer for me. I have been waiting for the arrival of CC creams and was surprised to see this at the Clinique counter yesterday. After expressing my interest and purchasing what I came for, the consultant offered a take home sample. I couldn't wait to tr it. After applying my usual SPF moisturizer, I used a foundation brush to stipple, build and layer the cream. I of course focused first on problem areas I.e. acne, dark spots and scarring, and then blended the excess lightly over my nose, forehead and cheeks. The results were amazing; I couldn't believe the amount of coverage combined with such a natural look and FEEL. I followed by highlighting and contouring, as usual, with a fair concealer, bronzer, and translucent powder. Coming from someone who uses full coverage on the daily, this product is worth a shot. I do feel like the application is extra important here if you want lots of coverage. Invest in a good foundation brush and make sure to stipple and layer. Highlight with a lighter shade, full coverage concealer, incorporate some nice contouring and use a translucent powder. Love this stuff!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm on the fence about this product. I used to use the old formulation of the Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturiser and I really liked it. When I went to repurchase it was gone and this was available in it's place...but I don't love it.

I don't hate it by any means and I plan to finish it, but I don't like it enough that I would repurchase. Ultimately, I think I can find something better.

Pros:
- SPF 30! This is a product I would use in summer and during the daytime so I love having the high SPF because I burn very easy.
- Good coverage - it's not too heavy and not too light. Gives a lovely even finish and is easy to blend into skin.
- Shade match - I bought Very Light and it's a good match for my skin (for ref. I wear NC15 in MAC)

Cons:
- Transfer - this stuff doesn't seem to fully set and I have noticed it rubs off on clothing and tissues etc. This might be because of the spf?
- Overly dewy - I've got very dry skin and I love a nice dewy finish makeup, but this is too much even for me. On hot days it can make you look greasy even if you set with a power. If you're very oily I would steer clear!

All in all not a terrible product but I will be continuing the hunt for a new HG tinted moisturiser/lightweight everyday base.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got a sample from Sephora when I put in an order online and I was so impressed that I got a full size. My skin loves this CC cream, especially with this winter weather. I think it would be too heavy to use in the summer when my skin is oilier so it will be a seasonal product. Fwiw, my skin type is normal/combo, slightly dry in the winter and normal/combo, slightly oily in the summer.

Initially I scoffed at the idea of CC creams because they're another marketing ploy to cash in on the BB cream craze. This is the only CC cream I've tried so I can't compare it to the others on the market and in all honesty, I don't want to try others.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the consistency is a bit heavy so a little goes a long way. If you're looking for good coverage, this product isn't for you. To me, this CC cream is a bit heavier than a tinted moisturizer but lighter than foundation. If you have red acne marks, definitely use concealer to cover those before applying the CC cream.

I use just a dollop of the CC cream and with a flat foundation brush, I swipe it on my cheeks mainly with just a bit on my chin and forehead. (they've got concealer already)
I take my Sephora #45 brush to buff in the cream and then finish off with my MAC SF powder foundation. The result is a smooth, dewy and polished look.
I do have to touch up a couple of times during the day but I'm willing to deal with that in the cold months. The staying power is decent and I think it's because I finish off with a powder foundation.

I'd recommend this CC cream for normal to dry skin types who want a light, dewy finish.
I do not recommend it if your skin is on the oilier side or if you want medium to full coverage.
The colour selection is limited, especially for darker skin tones.

Well done Clinique and a definite repurchase.

on 11/19/2013 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Something about myself:
Chinese ethnic lives in humid super hot tropical city
skin type: combination oily with acne prone, the yucky oily mostly appears on my T zone (a lot!), my chin and my monolid's eyelid
skin color: NC30 or C3 on MAC, with yellow undertone

Pro:
- I bought this on natural colour, matches perfectly on my skin
- paraben free
- decent amount of SPF (30) with natural sunscreen ingredient
- blend nicely with finger (my favorite method, I don't really like using brush to blend my foundation/bb cream, am planning to try beauty blender though)
- great packaging, easy to travel with, very light, and you can cut it when it is finishing
- it doesn't smell at all, I couldn't smell any perfume in it. It doesn't state any perfume on the ingredient also.

Con:
- too greasy on my oily skin. I already use MAC blot powder on top of the cc cream, but it only holds 4-5 hours until it becomes so greasy.
- I think it breaks my skin out, I'm still suspecting, need more time to actually sure about this since I have only been using this on and off for 2 month.
- very low coverage, even for daily use, it could wiped easily from skin when it becomes too greasy.
- quite expensive

I really really really really want to love this product, but each time I use it, the more I hated it. But I will try to finish the whole bottle and see if I change my mind.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this product. I have very sensitive, very dry skin with rosacea across my cheeks that will flare if I'm exposed to much sunlight or heat. This has never irritated or made my skin break out. I always have moisturizer on so it's worn underneath automatically. This CC cream goes on smoothly and easily, I don't notice any scent and I like it's creamy texture. I'm able to use it as a foundation without any additional product unless a swish of blush across my cheekbones sometimes. I'm very fair but the light and light/medium looked much too pale and 'wrong' in bright light. I bought medium which goes on a tiny bit yellow but almost immediately settles into a perfect match. I had a sample of this from the Clinique counter and used itl up before purchasing a tube. I'm very pleased with the color, staying power and moisturizing nature of it. For more formal times I use Estee Lauder's Futura in Pale Almond. But, honestly I'm using this Clinique CC most often because it matches my skin well, hydrates and lasts a long time. I'll repurchase this.

I have a love/hate relationship with this product.

I love that 'very light' matches my skin tone perfectly, I love the coverage, I love that it hides all my redness, I love that it doesn't irritate my skin and I love that with foundation over the top my skin tone looks perfect.

Unfortunately

I hate that it is thick and cakey, I hate that it collects in the pores on my nose, I hate that it's hard work to blend in, I hate that it accentuates dry spots and appears flakey, I hate that it's not as hydrating as I think it should be considering it has Moisture Surge in the title, I hate that it goes patchy after a couple of hours and I hate that I have to wear foundation over the top making it just another extra step in my skincare/cosmetic routine.

This is the only product that covers absolutely ALL my redness and gives me a gorgeous pale complexion which I strive for but the formula is just too thick and cakey and for some reason appears dry and flakes on my skin.

I won't repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I asked Clinique for a rec for my dry winter skin and surprisingly they said this product in light. It matches my NC 20 skin exactly. It is thick but I wear a moisturizing sunscreen under it and it blends easily. I still need a concealer but it diffuses red areas and dark hyperpigmentation well. And it doesn't emphasize flakes. Love the tube and that it has SPF 30. This is a winner.

on 2/18/2016 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I don't have major problem with my skin so far, and my skin is quiet strong when it comes to trying out different products (very insensitive) so I don't really use foundation.
The only base I use for my face is this CC cream.
I used a Korean BB cream before (even before the craze about BB cream started). So this review is based on my comparison between my old BB cream and this Clinique CC Cream...

This CC cream has more human like color when applied . When I used my BB cream long time ago, I always looked ghastly gray at first that I actually need to wait quiet a while for it to oxidise before going out. This Clinique CC Cream does not leave a ghastly gray cast when applied and when it oxidises, it gives a very natural, healthy looking skin.

It has a low - medium coverage. Good for people looking for just an everyday base make up (I mostly use it just to even out my skin tone, not to cover up major blemishes / marks because this product might be too weak for that purpose)

Thick consistency - Compared to other CC cream that I have tried, this one has a tiny bit thicker consistency. Because I like a runnier consistency for my cc cream (because it's easier to be spread around), I usually mix it with my Clinique moisturiser first, and then put spots of it on my face and dab it away with my damp beauty blender.

Would buy again in the future ! I am actually on my 3rd bottle right now :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this on clients at the counter, and if the tone complements them it makes their skin look healthy and glowing. Here are some cons though: 1.Makes me break out. It probably won't make you break out, but since aloe gives me pimples that's why I have this problem. Would love my brand to make more oil free things that do not use aloe. 2. because of the Violet optics, the tones look a bit pink. Not very natural for a golden complexion. I do like this product, it's just not for me :/

on 4/6/2014 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love this cc cream! I've never used a cc or bb cream so i have nothing to compare it to. When I first tried this out on my wrist I was sure I wouldnt like it because it felt so cakey and thick the consultant tried to get my make up off and try it out on my skin but I have severe acne scars ...and that was just not happening so I opted for a sample instead. I received two samples one in very light and another in light. i tried the very light first because the light looked waaay dark but to my surprise the light was my perfect match and the very light at first looked cakey and chalky but within a few mins of wear it actually looked good it made my skin look bright and radiant even glowing in a good way! They both look great and now i don't know which one to get i may just get both. Oh and i just sprinkle some Shiseido sheer matifying powder on my t-zone and a bit of clinique's airbrush concealer in fair 04 and i'm good to go ! my acne scars aren't completely covered they peek through but r not very noticeable i have even worn it on it's own and i don't get very oily or break out. Last thing! applying a little of chanel tan de soleil or estee lauder bronze goddess makes your complexion look amazing! i love those combos!