CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

Filtered by hair type : Straight
CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.4

Full disclosure: I have never tried this product. I read the reviews here and was super psyched to try this out, but the moment I smeared it on the inside of my wrist, I knew it wasn't for me. How? I tried the three lightest shades, and all of them were incredibly PINK-toned. Seeing as none of the top reviews mentions this...and it's kinda important...here I am to help!

Matching a foundation (or in this case, a BB cream) to your skin tone starts with identifying your skin's undertone. Most people are one of three: pink, yellow, or neutral. ("Neutral" is usually meant by most people as "neither pink nor yellow", which I think is unhelpful. I like thinking of it as olive skin, or as having "ashy" undertones.) Anyway, if you're fair skinned like me, you might have some trouble picking out your undertone, since you're, well, a shade of white. But....in a completely non-racial sense, you're not white!!

The classic colour-matching technique is to put some on the inside of your wrist. Because I'm usually a little tanned (no Twilight glow), I actually test the TOP of my wrist because I usually pick a colour slightly paler than my skin tone anyway. DON'T BLEND IT IN! Most foundations will "disappear" with enough blending...except it actually doesn't, it just looks like it does under the store lights. BB creams are pretty difficult to colour match given the limited choices, and if you pick the wrong undertone, the high pigmentation of BB creams can make it really obvious.

MY TEST! Just squeeze out a dollop and smear it thickly on the top of your wrist. THEN, compare yourself against a fairly yellow-toned BB (i.e. Too Faced BB Cream in Vanilla Glow or Cream Glow), and see which undertone works best for you. Once you've figured out your undertone, you can match for lightness/darkness by blending along the jawline, nose and forehead. Once you've picked the right colour, you're on the right path to finding the BB formula that suits your skin!

Moving away from the mini-tutorial, the reason why I'm writing a review is, if you were not sure what your undertone was before, Clinique CC Cream will help you find out! It is REALLY pink. As in, this may seem too pink for most, even pink-toned people. Seeing as it works for many MUA peers, don't panic! Just try my test and see which undertone better suits you! You will probably have to get some samples and wear it in natural sunlight to really know.

And for those of you who know you aren't pink-toned, it's too pink ;)

on 7/2/2013 12:19:00 AM

I have been looking for a good base product for a long time. I have tried quite a few different foundations and BB creams and been disappointed, even by the ones that are well loved by many other people. I was waiting for this to be available in Canada- it seemed to take a long time and I bought it as soon as I saw it on the shelves. For the summer time I love having an SPF in my moisturizer for sure and my base product too, if possible. With this I do sometimes skip moisturizer so it's great that it has a bit of SPF in it (although I'm sure you'd really have to slather it on and reapply it to maintain a good level of sun protection). It is a little tricky to blend, you have to work quickly. I just do small-ish sections of my face at a time and I really make sure that I blend well around my lips, eyes, eyebrows and hairline. If I don't it can look a little dry and cakey in those areas. I really don't get very shiny or oily, even if I don't powder which is great because I like to just slap this on and go. I think it's the perfect base for me because it evens everything out, makes my skin look fresh and bright, and it doesn't totally cover me up or make me look fake. It's probably the most natural looking foundation-type product that I've tried. It's pricey at over $40 Canadian but there is a little more product in the tube- 40 mL rather than the usual 30.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

When I bought this, I was looking for a broad spectrum sun screen tinted moisturizer and this pretty much seemed to do what I wanted. As a fair skinned person leaving my 20's I want to make sure I'm taking good care of my skin. It makes my skin look very healthy. I have applied with fingers, a Beauty Blender, and a stippling brush. It looks good applied with any of those.

It is a very light coverage. I got it in the fair color and the color blended well with my skin. I also used it under Nars and MUFE and it works well. It moisturized well, my skin feels very soft and does not look oily. It has not caused any break outs, but I'm not prone to breakouts or oil slicks.

It does protect against the sun quite well, I tested in a volunteer activity out in the sun for about 9 hours. I did not get so much as a red spot. I did reapply once. The color lasts fairly well through the day but does fade. When it fades, it fades pretty evenly.

I wouldn't say it was too different than the Aveeno tinted moisturizer and while I think I might reorder, I'm not sure I would repurchase over the Aveeno which is roughly half the price.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

In general, it's an ok product. I find that I really have to blend to make it work. It does give a brightening effect...which I like. It's a shade too yellow for me though. I wear the lightest shade and I find its little dark for me (strawberry blond, fair skin with pink undertones). It's on the thicker side as for consistency...although not at thick as the Clinique BB cream (yuck!). A little goes a long way too. So despite it being pricey...one tube will last a long time.

Will I buy again? Probably not. I think there is a better CC cream out there that will match my skintone better.

on 6/15/2013 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I am an NC15 in Mac (very fair with neutral undertones) and the shade "Very Light" in the Clinique CC cream is PERFECT for me. I read about this product on my favourite beauty blogs, and I held out buying the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in "Porcelain" (which I found to be just meh from trying samples) and waited and waited for the Clinique CC cream to arrive in Canada. This product was a month late hitting the shelves here, but I finally got my hands on it and wow, it was absolutely worth the wait. It smells like sunscreen, which I love, and the SPF of 30 is wonderful as I already use Clarin's face sunscreen which has an SPF of 40. The coverage of the CC cream is so neat..I have some redness in my cheeks, chin and nose and just a light amount of this product buffed into my skin with my Real Techniques buffing brush really does the trick!! It's quite dewy so I dust a bit of my Rimmel matte powder over it to set it after adding some concealer where I need it. This lasts all day, and it covers the redness extremely well. What a cool product! I will re-buy this always, and I like it better than any tinted moisturizer or BB cream that I have tried (Dior BB, Clinique BB, Mac BB, Laura Mercier TM, Nars TM, Sephora CC, etc etc). This is miraculous!

UPDATE: I ended up returning this *sigh*, I love it, but it just felt too thick for what I am used to, even though I have fairly small pores, the CC cream seemed to sit in them and didn't spread very easily. It just felt too heavy for me, especially for the summer. I went and bought the Dior BB cream even though the colour match wasn't as good (Dior's is more pinkish). It's a thinner consistency and still gives ok coverage and it seems to last just as well as Clinique's CC cream. I'm so sad, I wanted to love this CC cream so badly and I wanted it to be the answer to my skin base prayers! :(

on 6/13/2013 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my new HG product!!

I have been raving about it ever since my first application. I have it in light and also light/med - botth of which are too dark for my skin. I'm not one to ever go darker with foundations and the like but with CC it actually blends beautifully and gives me a holiday glow. I've tried the very light and it matches me perfectly but is too pale for summer. Also tried the peach which isn't available at all counters and that's my best match so far and will be my next purchase :)

It corrects, protects and perfects! SPF 30 is awesome, part of the moisture surge range so is hydrating, oil free so great for my skin type, and has optic technology where it bounces the light giving a very natural and radiant look to the skin.

When my skin is behaving I use it on it's on. When it's blemished I use it as a base under my doublewear or whatever foundation I'm in the mood for.

Buy this you won't regret it!!

on 6/3/2013 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing. My skin is somewhat oily, especially in the T-zone, with red patches and some acne/scars. It completely smooths all that out, yet is not as thick and is definitely not "cakey" like the foundation I was using.

Ever since I got this product, I have been getting compliments like, "Your skin is glowing," "I can't tell that you ever had acne," "Your skin looks beautiful," etc.

It seems to stay on all day, although if I touch or rub my face during the day, I find it helpful to reapply the CC cream midday.

I have been using it only a few weeks, so I can't tell how long the package will last. All I know is that I need very little to cover my whole face. Because I don't need to use foundation on top of the CC cream, this product makes getting ready in the morning so much faster!

I will definitely be buying this again, and have been recommending it to everyone!

on 5/18/2013 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was browsing the makeup/skincare section at my local department store looking for a good bb/cc cream that I can easily put on by itself. I was quite intrigued by Clinique's moisture surge cc-cream as I have oily and dehydrated skin, with uneven skin tone (i'm slightly pinkish on my cheeks).

The SA was kind enough to offer to use the cc-cream on my whole face (they ran out of samples). The shade she used was Natural. To my surprise, after application, my skin tone was even, my acne scars are less obvious and my skin looks so much better!

To be honest, when I was trying out the Clinique cc-cream, I had already purchased a BB cream from Laneige. I was so impressed by this cc cream that I returned the BB cream immediately!

Pros:
- Decent coverage. The shade matched my skin tone perfectly. It gave me a very natural look and it doesn't look cake-y!
- Easy to apply and absorb. It does not require much blending unlike my previous Bobbi Brown BB cream.
- Can wear the cc cream on its own.

Cons:
As I have oily skin and live in an extremely humid place, I needed to blot my t-zone after 3 to 4 hours. But in comparison with other bb creams & primers, this cc-cream has adequate oil control. I think people with dry or normal skin should have no problem with this.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this product as a sample at Sephora to compare with the Smashbox CC Cream and honestly the two don't even compare. I HATED this CC Cream. I usually like a bit of a luminous finish but this took it to a whole new level I literally looked fake like I rubbed shimmer oil all over my face. It didn't offer the kind of coverage I was looking for either. All in all I would NOT recommend this CC Cream.

on 5/12/2013 9:13:00 AM

review this for my sister in-law . She has dry skin. The CC cream give her a dewy look that she like. She also like that it gives her a sheer coverage. Great for dry skin. It come in 6 shades. it cost $35 dollars at Macy.