Estée Lauder Knowing

Estée Lauder Knowing

3.8

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

on 6/1/2005 3:50:00 PM

I agree with the other reviewers here--Knowing is ugggh...strong. When some fragrance website classified Knowing as a floral chypre--my favorite category--I was intrigued. Normally go for floral chypres--see my review on Aromatics Elixir. But I felt dizzy when I spritzed Knowing on my wrist. To say this stuff is rather heavy [for a floral chypre] is a huge understatement. This suffocating scent should be grouped with other Orientals--Knowing reminded me of Allure and Coco Mademoiselle, 2 Chanel headaches I'd just as soon forget. On the bright side I imagine a truly dramatic woman being able to get away with Knowing. At least, that...makes this pungent perfume worth giving 1-lippie.

on 2/11/2005 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tested this twice (so I'm not a regular user), but add me to the people who consider this an unpleasant 'old lady' fragrance. This was too strong, and it was like I'd taken a too-big whiff of body powder. The day-old hint of a smell still lingering on my clothes isn't too bad, though.

on 1/18/2005 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Good gracious this stuff is STRONG!!! I tested this on a card today and my eyes instantly watered! I would think if one sprayed more than one spritz of this potent stuff, people would drop dead like flies. This stuff should come with a warning. A definate NO for me!

on 1/9/2005 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My favourite EL fragrance. It is powerful, very sensual and sophisticated. Unique.

on 12/19/2004 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got a sad laugh from all the "old lady" comments here. My mother didn't have a signature scent when I was growing up--I remember Norell, Replique, Ciara, Ultima (anyone else remember that one?), etc. But then she picked Knowing for herself, and I kept her supplied at Christmas for years. But a couple years ago, she told me, "Don't buy me that sexy perfume anymore. I'm an old lady now." However, she loves the 2000 Fleurs I gave her instead. Maybe she was a closet floral-lover all those years she was trying to be sexy! But she also said she's losing her sense of smell, so who knows?

I'm another who wore Knowing for years, tried a few other things, and came back to it after nothing else compared. Of course it's all in the body chemistry, but Estee Lauder, may she RIP, named this fragrance Knowing for good reason. A little goes a long way; the lotion is nice when the full-on scent seems a little heavy.

on 11/28/2004 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Knowing is my very favorite fragrance in spite of many beautiful ones that have been produced over the years since this one was introduced. Men DO like this scent, and it lingers for a long time after a light spray. I love the way my clothes smell long after I've applied the fragrance. I guess this is close to my own signature fragrance. Simply put, a sexy, mature fragrance that isn't for the timid.

on 11/28/2004 10:25:00 AM

One of my close friends signature fragrance. I wear it occasionally, and each time I wonder why I don't wear it more often: It's a beatiful floral chypre (emphasize on CHYPRE), very well balanced, classy and sensual with great lasting power. My friend's husband is crazy about it, he hates it when she wears anything else. He calls it... BOING JUICE. I wish I were kidding but I am not. I agree with the other reviewers who say that men like this one a lot. I get compliments from guys whenever I wear it.

Smells like just like Kung Pao, but without the chicken.

on 10/31/2004 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was buying some Christmas presents in an underwear shop last year when I smelt a very particular frangrance and I couldn't understand where it came from. The shop assistant was showing me a lot of beautiful things but I didn't even notice them: I was too concentrated on this particular smell: strong, musky, men-like fragrance and still irresistibly sexy. I was bewitched. I had to discover what it was.
I told the shop assistant I didn't mean to be intrusive, but I was hypnotised by a fabulous scent and asked her if it was hers, and what it was. She smiled and said I didn't have to worry: everybody asked her the same question. It was Knowing, by Este Lauder. She bought it once several years before and never bought anything else. I said I understood why and ran to the nearer perfumery :).
I wear it when I want to feel really sexy, misterious, hypnotic.
Just one suggestion. Apply with GREAT care: it's very strong. A single spray is enough.

Popular Fragrances