Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Brown age: 19-24
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 8/18/2017 2:21:00 PM

I don't usually write reviews but this is a game changer, and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I am used to having to habitually check my makeup every couple of hours to make sure it hasn't caked up, or turned oily etc - but this. I can go a straight 4 or 5 hours before I need to blot (I still use a primer for best oil control results), and even then the foundation is still fully intact and firmly stuck to my face. I have worn it for 8 hours before and only had to blot once, and that's an absolute dream for me as someone with an oily t-zone.

1) Application can be a bit tricky. A little goes a LONG way with this - if you slap on tons like a regular foundation it will look SUPER cakey. It also dries rather quickly so for best results do one section of the face at a time, blending it completely before moving on to the next. Bearing in mind that I dont use beauty blenders, the best method I've found is to pour a little on the back of my hand, lightly dip my Real Techniques buffing brush into it to pick up a small amount, and then blend it onto a section of my face. Repeat until entire face is covered and build up as needed. Using this method I get a really good medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin, and feels light and comfortable. I find that when I try to dot it on my face then blend it out like other foundations I tend to end up applying too much. Really I don't think it is as heavy-looking (or feeling) as some people claim it is if you take the time to sheer it out and blend everything in.

2) Shade match : the shade range is excellent. I wear 3W1 Tawny and it's a HAIR on the pink side but otherwise a great match for my NC35ish neutral yellow skin.

3) Longevity. Easily lasts a regular 8-10 hour day for me with minimal need to touch up. It sticks to my face so well I actually have to cleanse extra thoroughly to completely remove it, otherwise I do find that it clogs my pores. I go in with an oil cleanser, and then run a cotton pad soaked with micellar water to pick up extra bits, and then wash my face with my usual face cleanser.

Pros :
- Great shade range
- Easily achieves a high medium coverage, buildable to full.
- Matte, but not flat matte imo - this actually makes my skin look really nice.
- Lasts through the apocalypse - controls oil really well and still looks very fresh even hours later.
- Versatile - if you have drier skin I would recommend mixing this in with a drop of hyaluronic acid or pairing it with a hydrating primer, as you'll get the coverage and longevity without the potentially drying/texture-emphasising effect. Can be applied sparingly for a more skin-like look, or built up to look very full coverage and makeupey if desired.

Cons :
- Application can take some getting used to.
- Can be unforgiving on texture, as most matte foundations I've tried tend to be- I do get dry patches on my nose and this can cling to them. However I don't finding this to emphasise my fine lines any more than my other foundations do despite the matte finish.
- Can clog pores if extra care isn't taken to remove it completely. You pretty much NEED an oil cleanser to make sure it's thoroughly removed.
- Pump is sold separately if you want one.

TL;DR Rating : 11/10 bye bye frequent touch ups where has this been all my life - best suited to those with oilier skin that have issues with makeup longevity, drier skin types can wear this too if modified to be more moisturising.

UPDATE : I have taken one lippie off the rating because now that I have worn this a few more times, I do find that it can feel quite heavy and drying on my skin. Careful moisturisation is definitely needed as face prep before putting this foundation on.

on 5/19/2017 1:43:00 PM

This is a thick but funny foundation with a medium to full coverage, it isent super full coverage but you can build this up to your desired coverage. I got the shade honey bronze which was way to dark for me like pure orange on me so that's why I can't really wear this but it blends okay kind of takes a while to fully blend , and to get the best coverage I would recommend using a brush and not a sponge as you would get zero coverage. I have played around with the formula and it's a okay foundation I don't think it's worth the money and as I believe you can get better formulas for less money. I would I purchase this again as I want to try it in a lighter shade and wear it for a whole day just to see how long wearing it is as I get super oily quickly. They don't include a pump but sell one seperately which is disgusting for how expensive this foundation is.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Rating: 4.25!
Update 8-4-17: I have switched to the shade 5N1 Rich Ginger which is a bit less orange on me!
I LOVE this foundation, I have combo/dry skin and as long as I moisturize well I can wear this foundation WITH NO PRIMER!! (Which is a blessing because I have yet to find one that works for me) I definitely powder and spray with setting spray after application and my oils don't break out on my forehead/nose until around the 7-8 hour mark. It lasts up to 10+ hours on me with it STILL looking bomb!

Color range is wonderful, but I do wish my shade (5w2 Rich Caramel) was a little less orange because it's the only shade that works decently out of the 30-40 foundations I've tried before. I have to bring it down to my neck.

Pros: Color range, FULL COVERAGE, don't need a primer, lasts 10+ hours, sets quickly with NO TRANSFER, oil control, applies beautifully with Beauty Blender/sponge
Cons: Flashback looks TERRIBLE, if it's the wrong color you will KNOW it's so full coverage that you can see the difference quickly, no pump (like really???), a bit orange and slightly oxidizes?

Overall, I love this foundation it's my go-to! I recommend at least getting some samples to try.

Before this i used the Beyond Perfecting foundation from Clinique. I loved the coverage of that foundation but my face got way too shiny. So i was looking for another foundation that gives me a matte finish and a high coverage. The coverage of this foundation is good, but you can still see some dark spots so i have to cover them up with something else. My face keeps matte all day with this foundation so that's a big pro for me. A con is that it is a bit pricey and there is no pump applicator so it's hard to get the right amount of product, so i had to buy a foundation pump from MAC.

I am a huge die-hard fan for Kryolan Ultra foundation.
I must admit once I started using this product i became obsessed with it. It looks great on the skin, easy to use and they have a great skin tone range for colours.
It does tend to dry and set quickly, so use small amounts at a time and spread. Otherwise you will get a slight cakey look.
Great to use on the beauty blender. Slightly pricey but worth it

on 1/25/2017 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I would say this is good coverage, it stayed and did not break up on my nose which is one of my biggest pet peeves. But this foundation made me break out and I wish it didn't if not this would be perfect :( #backtothedrawingboard

I love this foundation, BUT not for every day use. It provides great coverage and easy to build up. It has a wide range of shades and my two favourites are 2N1 Desert Beige and 1N2 Ecru. I love it as I know my makeup will last all night and not run down my face, however, after a few hours my skin starts to feel a bit dry and almost painful. Overall, I will keep re-purchasing it, because I trust it on a good night-out like no other foundation, but I always need other foundations to keep in my makeup collection for every day use, because nobody wants to feel uncomfortable on the daily. :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A solid "I made an effort today" foundation! Your skin looks poreless so you can tell you're wearing makeup, but in a lovely way. Would not recommend for dry skin -- can be a bit drying and can sink into fine lines. Use with moisturizer. Does not feel heavy and does not rub off on anything. Would recommend for a night out/special occasion due to the high price point.

on 10/21/2016 9:46:00 PM

Okay, so, I NEVER write a review on anything. I had to come on here and write one about this foundation! This stuff is amazing. I have oily/combonation skin, which is prone to break outs. This is full coverage, matte, and it looks natural, like your actual skin. Also, it feels very light and it lasts all day. I've never had a foundation stay in place like that did and last so long! I'm super impressed!
The only thing I'm not liking is that I'm pretty sure it's breaking me out, but, everything breaks me out.
This is an amazing foundation. I hope it stops breaking me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely one of my top 3 foundations of all time. I didn't give it a perfect 5 star rating because I don't use it by itself anymore, I always mix it with either one of my other 2 favorites (Lancome Tient Idole Ultra 24hr or L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte). I used to use this foundation by itself in the old formula years ago but my needs and preferences in foundation have since changed and this doesn't quite fit the bill on its own anymore. But when mixed, the combo becomes holy grail for me.

For reference, I have mostly oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin but can have some dry patches here and there.
All the info down below is based on the foundation by itself, not mixed and applied with a flat top brush (Sigma F80).

--Texture & Application--
Not very thick, a little runny but it's not too thin either. You don't need much, a little goes a long way and it blends in very smoothly and very easily. I don't find it dries too quickly but that depends on your skin and it's still best to work in sections.
--Coverage & Finish--
High medium/medium-full coverage depending on your skin but it definitely can be built up to complete full coverage (it's best to build up in thin layers - careful not to build up too much or it can go cakey). The finish isn't too matte, it's more of a natural matte or demi-matte. I feel this foundation can work for almost all skin types, including dry depending on how you prep beforehand. I find it to not settle in pores or lines for me and it looks overall very smooth and flawless. It takes a couple minutes for it to set completely on me and a smidgen of slight tackiness still remains so in my opinion, it doesn't dry down to a powder finish and it's best set with a light powder. It doesn't tend to look cakey on me but it's not a super natural foundation. Though because it's not too matte, it doesn't look overly unnatural either. Out of all 3 of my favorites, this is the most forgiving in terms of dryness. It's not quite as apt to clinging onto things as much as the other two can. Really pretty finish.
--Feel & Wear--
It's not the most lightweight foundation (not as lightweight as the Lancome or L'oreal), I can sorta feel it on but neither is it too heavy. It wears really well, the current longest wearing foundation out of my 3 favorites. Sadly, it's not as long wearing as the original formula though. It wears well in heat, humidity, sweat and water. I could wear it for a full 24 hours if I wanted (though it probably wouldn't look very good). Oddly enough, it's oil control though, is not quite as good as the Lancome or the L'oreal - probably due to it not being completely matte. It still has good oil control but not the best I've come across. I don't find it to dry my skin out at all either.

Overall, I love this foundation and it's worth the money. I notice a huge difference in the way my skin looks with this foundation vs a lot of cheaper foundations, it just looks way better. The color selection is also very nice and the undertones it comes in matches my skin tone perfectly which can be hard to find for me. But seriously Estee Lauder..you're going to increase the price from $34- $38 in just a matter of a couple years and still not put a pump on it?? Please, please..just put a damn pump on it, please.