Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 6/16/2018 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're looking for transfer resistant, look no further. This stuff does not budge! I was recommended this quite a few times as I'm always in search of full coverage for my cystic acne and redness. Some days it would cover everything, other bad skin days id need more. This foundation really oxidizes more than any other I've used. Unfortunately, this did make my acne worse with regular use, and really clinged to acne scars/healing acne, but I kept the bottle for occasional days/nights that I wanted a transfer resistant foundation which is always nice to have! Mixing with a lighter concealer has helped the oxidizing issue slightly. It looks amazing when first applied, however throughout the day, I notice it really catching any dry spots or textured areas. This foundation would be great for those who only have redness! Wouldn't recommend to anyone with textured skin. Definite down side is the packaging. I feel that it is messy when having to pour it out of the bottle!

on 12/8/2017 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation is very full coverage, great for a night out but not for everyday wear. It oxidizes a lot, so if you were to wear it throughout the day I would recommend going 1 or 2 shades lighter. I used it daily for a while and it definitely didn't do my skin any favours.

I think it's a great product for really oily skin. My combination skin worked really well with this in the first month but after some treatments my skin got back to normal. The foundation felt wet and sticky on my face the whole day and after 2 hours it looked cakey. It doesn't work with anything. I tried all kinds of moisturizers and primers. It's a shame because I really wanted this to work for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This foundation definitely stays in place like it says but it seems to show more than hide my pores. I have large pores and use Benefits Porefessional as well as a primer but it still manages to show them which could be different with others. My skin is very pale so it is hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone and doesn't leave me looking like a Cheeto but I use the shade Ivory Nude and use loose, translucent face powder to set it and so far that has worked for me in not achieving the Cheeto look lol. It's worth the money and lasts a while, I would just recommend experimenting with it and seeing how you can optimize it to its full potential.

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you need to keep in mind that once this foundation is set, it is SET. So work in small areas. For all you dry skin people out there, I found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation also helps with the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better (if you want a fuller coverage, go with a brush). I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte. I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines.
Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. I literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was cakey, and my dry patches were excentuated. (I wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 12 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days when I need heavy coverage, but the fact that this foundation also has SPF means that it's going to flash back, so I probably woudn't use this for events where I know there will be photos. I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation either. Personally, it's best to get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted so badly to love this. But it has a few issues. First, application is a nightmare. I like full coverage foundation you can keep building, taking your time, without it becoming splotchy and streaky because it sets far too quickly. Weirdly, it's also not the fullest coverage foundation I've used. As in, Maybelline Better Skin covers my hyperpigmentation FAR better without feeling as heavy. The shade range, while extensive, is literally variations of pink undertone (yes I include orange under pink because it's more closely related than, say, a true yellow and a true pink). Nothing is olive yellow, then again, in most lines, this is still true, but don't bust your butt trying to find something that matches an olive yellow undertone. I also have seriously clog-prone skin, and I've noticed almost all liquid foundation under EL, Mac, and Smashbox (who are owned by the same company) clog my pores over time and the DW is no exception. Otherwise, the finish is lovely, it lasts a long while on well prepped skin, and I can pull it off in most artificial lighting. Just don't take me under the sun or I'll be an oompa loompa.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation looks beautiful on the skin. I am very oily and this foundation did wonders, it stayed in place and it didn't oxidize. It is very thick but it blends out very nice and does not look cakey at all. Unfortunately it broke me out horribly mind you, I do not have sensitive skin and no other foundation had broke me out like this. I loved everything else about it so I kept trying to give it another chance, I would stop using it to let my face recover but as soon as I used it again it broke me out. I do recommend it because it's an amazing foundation if it doesn't brake you out.

on 10/16/2016 10:14:00 PM

I have been using Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation for at least a year now. But because i have SUPER oily skin... IT MELTS OFF after 6 hours of wear... but i loveeeee everything else about it, the colour (ivory fits me perfectly), coverage, texture, easy to apply (i use a beauty blender and it goes on like weeewwwww. on top of my usual skincare routine+primer)

But i can't stand the meltED mess everytime i get home. TT and every time i blot my face or scratch a little bit of my forehead (because sometimes itchy), ABIT OF FOUNDATION COMES OFF. and my face would have a patch of raw skin there. (gross)

So i tried ESDW.

First, colour. It was soooo difficult to find a PERFECT IVORY shade for me. it's either too yellow too pinkish too dark. I gave in and bought 1C1. (and it was still way too pink for me. TT)

Second, i tried to apply it on as how i would with Tarte. (with my beauty blender) AND OMG, CAKE FACE. i didn't have the time to remove it and reapply AGAIN (because i'm always late) so i left house with a cake face T.T (worse day of my life. but thankfully i'm a teacher so my children can't tell good makeup from bad ones Lol)

The trick to put DW on is to put LITTLE BY LITTLE then build up (BUT NOT TOO MUCH). Use a BRUSH instead to blend it in your face and you can mix it with a moisturizer (like how i did it). omg soooo much better. it's lighter and i could build it up more. but Omg? it took damn long to set?!?!

I don't use powder with my DW because cakey!!!!! so usually i'll wait. i left my house, took the train and omg? it was still setting on the train... but it DEFINITELY got better as the day goes by. my skin got radiant (as the oil came in), and when i got home after a long HOT HUMID day in school, my DW makeup WAS STILL IN CHECK, ON POINT. naise.
i blotted my face after 6 hours of wear, and im SURPRISED. the make up DID NOT TRANSFER to my paper. PLUS, i tried scratching my forehead (trial), but it STAYED ON TOO.

It didnt break me out badly, (though i have a little pimple on my chin after i wore DW for a few days straight Lol) but it was quite a pain to remove it ENTIRELY.

Love love love the staying power. but that's about it.

I still haven't decided whether i want to repurchase, i've been thinking about it since my first time applying it and yup... still thinking.

on 7/19/2016 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I really really wanted to love this foundation... Like, out of all the foundations I've tried, this last a long time!! Even at the end of the day, my makeup still looks good ! You gotta be careful though, if you use too much... It can be really cakey. A little goes a long way. HOWEVER!!! This foundation makes me break out. Everytime I wear it, my face starts to feel itchy.. also, you can definitely feel like you're wearing a foundation. Seriously, when I stopped wearing it, my face clears up and becomes smooth again. I guess I would just be wearing this foundation for special events because I paid around $40 for it, not wasting that much money. When I finished with it, I'm definitely NOT PURCHASING IT AGAIN.

on 6/12/2016 2:39:00 PM

I starting breaking out pretty badly lately and I decided to go for a full coverage foundation. This feels quite heavy to me but this is coming from someone who normally uses tinted moisturisers. I tried it on its own and it feels rather dry and cakey at the end of the day but it held up the entire day which was great. I tried adding a drop of oil and it was a little more tolerable for my skin. I know a lot of reviewers here said using a sponge wastes a lot of product but I like to sheer it out. Overall I think it's an awesome foundation since it lasts the whole day. However, I am going to stop using it for a while because it's making me break out even more. I have stopped using it for two days and my skin has cleared significantly. Also, another minus point is the packaging. It's 2016! You would think that they would come up with a better design like a pump or something.