Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

on 7/28/2018 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The best liquid foundation on this planet!!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Estee Lauder and this foundations is definitely my HG.
Conceals all imperfections as the texture is pretty thick. Lasts not hours but DAYS.
I use this product on a daily basis, Sigma F80 brush really helps to blend foundation evenly. However, have to work quickly as product dries up very fast and might leave streaks if not blended quickly.
Pricey but worth every penny!!!

on 7/26/2018 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

So I finally got around to trying Double Wear. Summers where I live are hot, this summer we have had record breaking heat, and the A/C at work isn't that great. My previous foundation was a disaster half way through the day. I correctly matched myself with the shade 2N1, Desert Beige. Dispenses as a a thin liquid, a bit surprising as back in the day full coverage meant cream or stick formulas. Blends fairly easily, but it helps to have brush or beauty blender. It doesn't set so fast that it can't be blended, a problem I had with Smashbox. Smashbox set to fast I had to work in sections or it could not be blended., This does set without a powder, I choose to use one since said heat has made my skin oily. Back to the coverage part, this is marketed as a full coverage foundation, several other reviews have said this was artificial, or paint like. I did not find that to be true, the coverage is nice there are definitely foundations that offer more coverage and do look heavy or mask like. Double wear looks very natural and I say it's more medium to full than straight full coverage. I did apply a single even layer, rather than try to build this, which may be why. This does have a matte finish, but again, it's not overly matte to where the face will look dull or the color flat. Wear time is excellent, the first Day i applied this at probably 3am because I had an early shift, still looked good at the end of my work day, and into the evening. There was some minor wear after maybe 12-15 hours. Day two again, only some minor wear on the nose, but my nose is super oily even when the rest of my face is dry my nose is just an oil factory. Honestly most foundations wont even stick to my nose, this one did so a thumbs up there. Stay in Place makeup is part of the name, and they aren't joking, Once this sets it's absolutely budge proof, and will not transfer. I deal with seasonal allergies which means I sometimes rub my face or need to blow my nose, which can cause makeup to rub off or smudge. This stays put through that as well. Double wear is a good choice for oily skin, i get dryer in the cool months so time will tell if it works with dry skin. If you are a lady of a certain age, I'd advise getting a sample first as this does somewhat settle into fine lines. I purchased mine at an Estee Lauder counter and there is a pump that come separately for this since the lack of a pump seems to be problematic. Price is about the same as other department stores brands. Nice glass bottle, and the addition of the pump is helpful. 5/5, I would repurchase, long wearing, nice finish, and transfer proof.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Decent foundation with a smooth matte finish. As per usual annoying bottle with no pump but still good.

on 7/22/2018 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation always settles into fine lines or creases, doesn't cover hyper-pigmentation, and I find it gets a bit oily (which makes it easier to rub/wear off through the day). That being said, I can see why everyone likes it so much. It does last longer than other foundations by a stretch, is build-able for fuller coverage, smells lovely, and feels like nothing on the face. Primer is very important with this foundation because different primers make this foundation look better or worse.

on 7/20/2018 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation is heavy as frick but it's great if you've got a pizza face like mine. It really does not move. I'll always fall back on this when my face is a disaster, as it usually is

on 6/16/2018 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're looking for transfer resistant, look no further. This stuff does not budge! I was recommended this quite a few times as I'm always in search of full coverage for my cystic acne and redness. Some days it would cover everything, other bad skin days id need more. This foundation really oxidizes more than any other I've used. Unfortunately, this did make my acne worse with regular use, and really clinged to acne scars/healing acne, but I kept the bottle for occasional days/nights that I wanted a transfer resistant foundation which is always nice to have! Mixing with a lighter concealer has helped the oxidizing issue slightly. It looks amazing when first applied, however throughout the day, I notice it really catching any dry spots or textured areas. This foundation would be great for those who only have redness! Wouldn't recommend to anyone with textured skin. Definite down side is the packaging. I feel that it is messy when having to pour it out of the bottle!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really really wanted to love this foundation but I had issues with it.

The first problem was the colour matching - I was matched to Pale Almond which I bought a whole bottle of, but it's just too dark and too pink. I went to a different store and the SA gave me a generous sample of Desert Beige, which was so nice of her. Unfortunately this was too pale and too yellow. Looking at the shade range I find it totally baffling.

The staying power is amazing. I applied it with a damp beauty blender working fast and kind of bouncing it in.

It really is like paint, and that's another problem for me. It creates such a uniform finish (like paint!) that instead of covering uneven skin it seemed to make it more obvious! It just seemed to highlight every uneven feature because of the flat, paint-like finish. I've since tried Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and I actually prefer that, and it's cheaper. I might give Double Wear Light a try though - always on the search for the perfect foundation!

I hate the fact that it's not in a tube or that it doesn't have a pump top, especially considering how expensive it is. And it's runny so too easy to waste it.

on 6/13/2018 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I just don’t like this foundation and I really tried to. It’s like house paint! I tried to use it as sparingly as possible and it just made me look old and tired. I don’t think it leaves a flattering finish at all! I’m super oily and break through every foundation, but this was like sludge by the 4 hour mark. One of the worst I’ve used. Drying too.

on 5/31/2018 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

PROS :
- very long-wearing formula (it even stands-up a slight scratching),
- fluid, slightly runny texture, easy to blend (more beautiful texture and finish than Colorstay),
- medium coverage in one layer,
- blends seamlessly (neither blotchy nor patchy)
- gorgeous "second skin" finish, with a very slight sheen, and no powdery appearance,
- respects the skin texture (no blurring effect... that never lasts anyway),
- strong adhesion to the skin, with only very minimal settling into fine lines or pores,
- rich in pigments shades, neither gray nor brownish (a little too bright whatsoever but that’s what brightens the complexion),
- fast drying but not to the point of instantly setting upon contact with the skin,
- truly self-setting, if a powder is used it’s mostly to tone down shine,
- no darkening while it sets and barely oxidizes during the wear time,
- perfectly transfer-proof (my powder brush does not collect foundation, its fibers remain clean and fluffy),
- precise numbering of the shades,
- available in 61 shades (in Australia),
- soluble in pure alcohol (which allows an easy cleaning of the sponge, or brush, which was used),
- alcohol-free and fragrance-free.

CONS :
- the now classical main drawback : NO PUMP !!!!! Seriously, Estée Lauder, drugstore brands add pumps on their less than 10 bucks foundations and there is no pump on yours which costs an arm to the toes (and requires to prostitute granny to get enough money to buy it) ??!!!
- has a clear tendency to peel off from the skin when applying a second layer (see comments),
- slight uncomfortable "resinous" sensation when the product is set, but it vanishes later when the foundation is mixed with the skin natural fluids,
- slightly tacky feeling (though less tacky than Colorstay),
- does not control shine that well (but, on me, nothing does),
- expensive, but it is undoubtedly worth the price.

COMMENTS :
Most foundations darken and/or change undertone when setting (which requires to wait for a swatch to fully set before checking if the shade is a good match)... this one does not. Small digression by the way : I have always found ridiculous all these online swatches that are "wet-not-set", it does not reflect the final result.

As it is self-setting, it is useless to rush to powder it (if it’s powdered too early it cakes). One exception : the under eyes area. Regardless of the product I use, foundation or concealer, the product always creases into fine lines, so as soon as I get a flawless application on this area I immediately set with a translucent powder to prevent the product from further creasing.

It is essential to apply it one section at a time because of its fast drying time (don’t dot it all over your face hoping to come back on these dots to blend them later, the last dotted area will be impossible to blend).

Like many other products in the Double Wear range, this one has a strong (and exasperating) tendency to peel off from the skin when trying to apply a second layer, or simply when joining two areas (when using a blending sponge). In fact it is a matter of pressure : if, like me, you tend to press the foundation like a madman (trying to push it far into the skin hoping that it will last longer) you're damn. Gentleness is the key : using your sponge blend the foundation with the delicacy of a dandelion pappus carried by a light breeze, and not with the heaviness of a rammer flattening the bitumen.

I like the wide range of 61 shades and their precise numbering :
- the first digit indicates the main level, from the lightest level 0 to the darkest level 8,
- the letter indicates the undertone, C for Cool (pink based), N for Neutral neither too pink nor too yellow (in theory), and W for Warm (yellow based),
- the last digit modulates the intensity within a main level (1W2 will be a little darker than 1W1).

I use two shades :
- 1N1 Ivory Nude best matches my skintone but, despite its yellow base, it’s still a touch too pink (I have a very strong yellow undertone),
- 1W1 Bone is more golden but slightly darker than 1N1 so it ends up a tad too dark/gold on me (unless I tan),

Let’s note that the making of the undertones was surely done in a state of pronounced drunkenness (or it is the numbering which was made randomly) when one compares 1N1 Ivory Nude which is on the yellow side and 1N0 Porcelain which is on the pink side (both are N).

At the end of the day, given its tenacity, I use a cleansing oil (or a two-phase micellar water) to remove it easily and completely without pulling/damaging my skin.

EDIT 07/27/2018 : Estée Lauder just launched new shades, including 1W0 Warm Porcelain which is ever so slightly lighter and less pink than 1N1, and much lighter than 1W1 (though not as yellow)... it's one of the closest matches I've ever worn ♥♥♥

Here are some comparative swatches on my arm which is around MAC NW10 but my face is more NC10 boosted with a tiny bit of NC15 (or anything with strong yellow undertones). Also is a comparative table of the shades available in various countries.

From top to bottom :

TOO FACED Peach Perfect Snow
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 03 Champagne
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 07 Warm Light

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My HG foundation. I’m about to finish my third bottle and will definitely be getting my fourth. I have very oily-skin with lots of scarring and redness. Many foundations have broke me out or gets eaten away by my oils. However, this doesn’t do that at all. It has a strong lasting power and a beautiful matte to satin finish (depends on the application). For a full coverage look, I like to use a dense brush. And for a more light, everyday look, I use my fingers. I’ve tried it with a damp sponge and it looks very nice too! Blends nicely with all different applications. If you’re looking to try a new foundation, this is worth it :)

The only downsides are the price (about 60$ CAD) and the packaging (it can get messy if you’re not careful).