Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by age: 19-24
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

I heard about the hype. Yet it didn't interest me because I thought I'd have my HG foundation with Maybelline Superstay foundation, but Estee Lauder is a game changer for me now. First time I wore this I went swimming on a summer day, everything stayed in place. I took some blotting paper to get rid of the sweat and the foundation still looked untouched. I was very satisfied when I took off my makeup because I didn't need to worry if it melted or cracked. Of course it can't stay on for 15+ hours looking perfect all the time. But when I reach 10 hours it looks like I've worn an average foundation for just a couple of hours. Today I used it again and it's no different than the other day. I'll keep this expensive as a HG for hot, long times (summer, beach, party, clubbing, etc.) and will always be excited to apply it. Pro: - good shade range (Ecru fits good, I'm NW20) - medium, buildable coverage (this ain't full coverage with one layer for me) - matte, natural finish (I still use powder because I always want to be sure everything is set) - stays, no matter how much you sweat Neutral: - price (you don't need to buy it if it's too much $ for you) Con: - packaging (no pump, glass material) Maybelline Superstay is too dry for my skin, I guess. Yet I have combo skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry cheeks and undereyes). SS can look cakey on me if I'm not careful while applying, it's not as transfer proof as EL and the shade range is meh. So, welcome new (and forever) HG to the family.

on 8/18/2017 2:21:00 PM

I don't usually write reviews but this is a game changer, and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I am used to having to habitually check my makeup every couple of hours to make sure it hasn't caked up, or turned oily etc - but this. I can go a straight 4 or 5 hours before I need to blot (I still use a primer for best oil control results), and even then the foundation is still fully intact and firmly stuck to my face. I have worn it for 8 hours before and only had to blot once, and that's an absolute dream for me as someone with an oily t-zone.

1) Application can be a bit tricky. A little goes a LONG way with this - if you slap on tons like a regular foundation it will look SUPER cakey. It also dries rather quickly so for best results do one section of the face at a time, blending it completely before moving on to the next. Bearing in mind that I dont use beauty blenders, the best method I've found is to pour a little on the back of my hand, lightly dip my Real Techniques buffing brush into it to pick up a small amount, and then blend it onto a section of my face. Repeat until entire face is covered and build up as needed. Using this method I get a really good medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin, and feels light and comfortable. I find that when I try to dot it on my face then blend it out like other foundations I tend to end up applying too much. Really I don't think it is as heavy-looking (or feeling) as some people claim it is if you take the time to sheer it out and blend everything in.

2) Shade match : the shade range is excellent. I wear 3W1 Tawny and it's a HAIR on the pink side but otherwise a great match for my NC35ish neutral yellow skin.

3) Longevity. Easily lasts a regular 8-10 hour day for me with minimal need to touch up. It sticks to my face so well I actually have to cleanse extra thoroughly to completely remove it, otherwise I do find that it clogs my pores. I go in with an oil cleanser, and then run a cotton pad soaked with micellar water to pick up extra bits, and then wash my face with my usual face cleanser.

Pros :
- Great shade range
- Easily achieves a high medium coverage, buildable to full.
- Matte, but not flat matte imo - this actually makes my skin look really nice.
- Lasts through the apocalypse - controls oil really well and still looks very fresh even hours later.
- Versatile - if you have drier skin I would recommend mixing this in with a drop of hyaluronic acid or pairing it with a hydrating primer, as you'll get the coverage and longevity without the potentially drying/texture-emphasising effect. Can be applied sparingly for a more skin-like look, or built up to look very full coverage and makeupey if desired.

Cons :
- Application can take some getting used to.
- Can be unforgiving on texture, as most matte foundations I've tried tend to be- I do get dry patches on my nose and this can cling to them. However I don't finding this to emphasise my fine lines any more than my other foundations do despite the matte finish.
- Can clog pores if extra care isn't taken to remove it completely. You pretty much NEED an oil cleanser to make sure it's thoroughly removed.
- Pump is sold separately if you want one.

TL;DR Rating : 11/10 bye bye frequent touch ups where has this been all my life - best suited to those with oilier skin that have issues with makeup longevity, drier skin types can wear this too if modified to be more moisturising.

UPDATE : I have taken one lippie off the rating because now that I have worn this a few more times, I do find that it can feel quite heavy and drying on my skin. Careful moisturisation is definitely needed as face prep before putting this foundation on.

on 8/12/2017 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Honestly terrible for my skin, one wear and i broke out SO bad. I bought this because it said non-comedogenic hoping it wouldn't clog my pores, i don't know if it did or didn't do that. But upon removing it i had red pimples all under my skin, and right after i had just cleared it up too :(. I also didn't build it up very much for the sake of letting my skin breathe, now i'm glad i didn't build it up.

on 7/26/2017 8:49:00 PM

I kind of avoided this foundation for a while for 2 reasons - 1: the person who recommended it to me had a face caked up in orange and I didn't want my makeup to look like that ... basically I was afraid it would oxidise on my skin. 2: it's for oily skin (mine is only slightly oily) and I've heard it promises a very matte powdery finish which I hate the look of. I prefer my skin to look a bit dewy and natural. Finally I went and got a sample and the first thing I'll say is I got matched absolutely perfectly which is rare for me. I took it home and tried it out, and the finish was a nice satin finish, which was slightly dewy with a finishing spray and very natural when used sparingly. It lasted for the rest of the day and I wore it to work the next day, where it lasted all day again, from 8am to 8pm when I took my makeup off, with no deterioration. You can sheer it out to almost nothing, but the coverage is great if you need it.

The only con, as everyone says, is the packaging. This is a high end foundation and should have a pump, but it doesn't. Honestly I don't know how they get away with it, especially since a pump only costs a few dollars more. If anyone knows if it's possible to buy a high quality pump which fits the thread on the opening of the bottle let me know?

So yeah a really good comfortable long wearing foundation with great neutral shades, absolutely worth the money. Just make sure you don't keep the lid off the bottle for too long.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This foundation definitely stays in place like it says but it seems to show more than hide my pores. I have large pores and use Benefits Porefessional as well as a primer but it still manages to show them which could be different with others. My skin is very pale so it is hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone and doesn't leave me looking like a Cheeto but I use the shade Ivory Nude and use loose, translucent face powder to set it and so far that has worked for me in not achieving the Cheeto look lol. It's worth the money and lasts a while, I would just recommend experimenting with it and seeing how you can optimize it to its full potential.

on 7/9/2017 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.

on 7/8/2017 7:46:00 PM

This is my holy frail foundation. I tried so many that I had this one in my Sephora cart months before trying it. I didn't want to waste anymore money.
Surprisingly, my skin is quite dry but this works amazing for it. I do not have to wear any setting powder and it doesn't crease under my eyes. Most days I don't use any concealer. It truly lasts all day, too. I have put this on and left the house at 7am and not washed it off until close to 10pm (although I try not to ever have makeup on that long) and it looked the same as when I had first applied it.
It does not clog my pores or irritate my skin at all, so I am able to wear this everyday if I feel like it. A lot of foundations always break me out and I need to give my skin a break from using them. Not this one! Also the color match is spot on. I am the lightest shade but it doesn't leave me feeling like a ghost.
Lastly, this is my first foundation that I've finished an entire bottle of. Already repurchased.

I always go back to this foundation. Love/hate relationship. I apply this with a damp beauty blender for less coverage. If I want a little more coverage I apply this foundation with a sigma f80. I have dry skin due to the fact that I was accutane twice. I love the fact that I don't have to touch up throughout the day with this foundation, after one application I know that I am good to go, although the more I start using it on a daily basis I find the texture of my skin to dry out and look dull. Also due to the fact that this foundation can be very heavy I find that it can clog my pores. I have tried to switch to other foundations but always seem to come back, mainly due to the fact that I don't have to touch up throughout the day and the color selection is spot on.
I have recently tried Maybelline matte and poreless foundation but realized that you get what you pay for, and for me personally I would rather spend a little more on my foundation, looks like I'm going back to my double wear.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Best foundation i have ever tried. The only con is the fact that it doesn't come with pump.

on 6/26/2017 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

If you wondering if you should but this LET ME just SAY BUY THIS!
It is the BEST foundation ever!! The coverage is amazing and lasts allll day... will defs buy it again once I run out :)
And the price is very decent as well!