Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liner - Violet Luster

No Image

1.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow! I can't believe the reviews I'm reading... I feel like I'm looking at reviews for a different product! I bought this at a "store closing" sale at Kmart, and I'm glad I did. I also got the turquoise/teal color, which I love even more. It did seem watery when I first opened it, but the package clearly says "Shake well." So, I shook it for 15 seconds and that did the trick. I applied this over e.l.f. eyelid primer. It took about 30-45 seconds of fanning my face before the eyeliner was dry to the touch. No big deal, because once it was dry it stayed on without smudging for the entire day. I forgot to remove my makeup before bed, and when I woke up the next morning my eyeliner was still perfectly un-smudged. I love the broad tip, and if you turn it 1/4 turn, you can use the skinny side as a fine tip. I would absolutely buy this eyeliner again!

on 10/18/2013 8:24:00 AM

I'm glad I only paid $5 for this because it is probably the worst makeup product I have ever used. Other reviews here are spot on: watery, horrible applicator, sticky as heck, took THREE coats to even get it to be purple and it's not the purple depicted on the packaging.... It clumped up into my eyelashes making my mascara look like absolute crap too. If I didn't have to go to work I would have removed it all and started over with my e.l.f. Liquid eyeliner which is so much better quality for $3. I'll keep it around maybe for Halloween or something but I won't be using it again.

on 8/19/2013 12:43:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Horrible, horrible, horrible product! This is the worst makeup product I have ever used to date...and I've used some pretty bad ones. I'd give this one a zero if I could. I even called Maybelline to complain, and that's a first--even with the other bad products in my life, I've never bothered to notify their manufacturers' corporate offices.

The formula is weird: it's watery yet goopy. I had little violet color (electric violet, mind you, not the beautiful purple depicted on the packaging!) go on the eye, yet I had all of this eyeliner matting my eyelashes and holding onto my eyelids for dear life. I couldn't remove it without removing all of my other makeup. The applicator just makes things worse...perhaps if the formula was better, then the thick/thin trick the applicator is supposed to do just might work. Instead, the plastic applicator smears it on as one thick line regardless of how you angle it.

This is one time that I wished I checked in with MakeupAlley before purchasing. Everyone was right about this product being garbage...which is exactly where the eyeliner went after I attempted to use it. I had also purchased the bronze color but despite the good (and only) review it has, I'm returning it unopened to the store--the experience with the violet has burned me pretty bad, and I'm not willing to take any chances.

on 7/17/2013 8:51:00 AM

I wouldn't have liked this product if I got it for free.

When people buy liquid liner, it's because they want a smooth, intense line. This product is incredibly watery and makes a smeary, transparent line that hardly has any color. It is certainly not violet; In fact it looks about the color of dirty dishwater unless you spend a good amount of time shaking it. Even then, it's a light sheer purple at best. The applicator is just stupid. Maybe it would work for a thick formula, but with this diluted crap, it just makes a mess. The product also never dries. I swatched it on my hand to compare to my other purple liquid liners, and after a few minutes, the other liners had dried on my skin. This one, however, had a gross sticky feeling, like I put honey on my hand and let it sit.

I really expected more, considering all of the raves about the gel eyeliner, but this is by far the worst liquid eyeliner I have ever tried, from any brand. I love other eye products from Maybelline, like the color tattoos and Colossal mascara, but this is a sub-par dud. I have no idea how this product got past R&D.

on 6/16/2013 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

worst eyeliner I've ever tried!! it justs come off real easy and does not last.

Garbage. Transparent. It took two coats of it just to get some color. After using it only 5 times it was empty. Never again.

on 6/5/2013 12:32:00 PM

I got a tube (Bucket? Pot? What the heck is this packaging?) in the Violet Luster shade because I read in Allure that purple/plums make green eyes pop. I put on two layers of it on one eye and it was milky and basically transparent, so I wiped it off my eye only to discover that it left a sticky residue on my eyelid. The eyeliner is now sitting in the trashcan next to me.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Just like the other peeps, I got it cuz it was on sale, I usually stick with Loreal when shopping for drug store makeup but hey, buy one get one half off how can you go wrong? Well this eyeliner is how you can go wrong, what a piece of crap, I won't even finish this one, it doesn't go on smooth or bold, its practically transparent. Honestly, the 2 dollar NYC liquid eyeliner is better

I agree with most of the other reviewers. There was a sale at my local drugstore for buy one, get one half-off so I picked up the Violet Luster and the green color. The violet was very sheer, when what I wanted, and what the package advertised, was a deep bold purple. The consistency of the green was better. It's at least opaque and bright. However this product is runny when wet, then when it dries, turns into a very strange latex consistency. I got some in the base of my eyelashes and it was impossible to put mascara on afterwards. However, if you're looking for staying power, this is the answer to all your problems! My Almay eye makeup remover pads were completely unable to dissolve this stuff. I had to pick it out of my eyelashes, which was painful and took a few lashes with it. I put some on my wrist to test it again and it required a good deal of scrubbing, which is not something I want to do to my eyelids! I will not be using this product again and I do not recommend it for anyone.

on 5/17/2013 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

WORST PRODUCT EVER! I bought this in "teal". Turned out a watery, GREY, eye-stinging disaster. They didn't even get the 90 degree thick to thin applicator right. Went directly in the trash since I couldn't return.