St.Tropez Bronzing Mist

No Image

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Very natural, not-so-tanned colour. But - the packaging is all leaky and simply TERRIBLE! Plus, the spray seems to get into every little pore and accentuate them, making it seem like you've got blackheads all over...Not so good. Expensive too. I'll stick to the lotion.

on 9/1/2004 5:42:00 AM

The colour is great and looks very natural on my pale skin. However, I hate the packaging. The spray was leaky and since I had to rub it in after I had sprayed I didn't really see the advantage of spraying. In the end I poored some of teh lotion out into a bowl and just applied it with my hands.

It is quicker drying than the lotion.

on 6/14/2004 10:24:00 AM

Facing another summer with whiter-than-white skin I decided to give this a try. It's not cheap (30 GBP) but it really is the best I've tried; a quick and easy way to a safe tan. Having tried it out on my legs first I've quickly progressed to an expert all-over application and the results are great.

To get the best application I really think you have give your skin a few days of preparation in terms of depilating (you might want to brave waxing to avoid shaving off your tan a few days later), exfoliating and moisturising. It will go on fine even without it but the results are better if you get your skin up to scratch first.

I use a heavy-duty body lotion on dry areas and spray it on in the shower cubicle as otherwise you might find that you're redecorating the bathroom in a tasteful shade of brown! Rather than buy the latex gloves St Tropez try to sell you I just picked up some cheap ones from the first aid kit section of Boots. Much cheaper and just as effective in preventing those tell-tale orange-palms.

The first coat takes the edge off but you can build it up to a natural tan in a few applications. The bottle sprays upside-down and I recruit my boyfriend to rub it into the places I can't reach. The mist dries quickly so I spray one section at a time and use both hands to blend it in. The colour guide isn't very obvious which is good in that you can go out having applied it but not so good in that it can be a bit tricky to see where you've sprayed already. I apply it to my face by putting a bit of moisturiser in my palm and then spraying the mist on to it. This gives a bit more 'slip' which makes it easier to apply to the face. (I have persistent but currently mild acne and haven't had any adverse reactions.) Everything is dry in about 10 minutes and you can get dressed and get on with things.

I will be buying this again, but probably not for some time as the bottle is taking ages to go down. The initial expense will definitely be worth it in the long-run.

Update: I've decided not to re-puchase this after all. The spray is just too messy and whilst the first upside-down squirt works fine, it then jams. Not what you want when trying to apply in an even layer! I'd rather not use aerosols, but for a liquid product like this, it might be the best idea.

on 5/8/2004 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the lotion, but wanted to try the mist. I love them both for different reasons. The color guide on the mist is wearable, not at all dark and thick like the lotion. The mist dries extremely fast and is not sticky. It has a more pleasant smell than the lotion. The bottle is tall, and seems to last a long time for me. The tan itself is always very even and pretty, *fairly* long-lasting (not quite as long as the lotion) and realistic. One layer on me cuts the glare and looks attractive - like you got a little sun, but it takes three or four layers to get me as dark as I like to look in the summer. But, application is very fast and easy. I use latex gloves when I apply. Usually, I apply it to my face with a sponge. I always wash my face after a few hours, because the color guide breaks me out a little if I don't. For hands and feet, I rub some regular lotion in first, or use a lotion type self tanner there. The other difference I notice with the lotion and mist is, the mist's end color is slightly more golden. It still looks very natural on me, as described above, but there is a difference in the colors between the two. The lotion also gets me darker with less applications. On the downside of using the mist, you will need to hold your breath sometimes while applying, to minimize breathing the mist. The mist residue will settle on things where you are spraying, so either put something on the floor, stand in your tub, or be sure to wipe things off when you are done. It's great for travel too.

on 3/2/2004 1:32:00 PM

I know everybodys raving on about the mist...but i disagree,it leaks and left me with white spots even though i used the mitt!! too much hard work...back to finding another fake tan!!

on 8/4/2003 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this after reading the MUAers recommendations, as I've always been apprehensive of fake tan. I must say I'm impressed! It dries instantly - that's why you must make sure you wear the latex gloves - and the colour is very natural. I do have a couple of white spots but that's due to my inexperience I'm sure. If I buy one again, it'll be this one. One point on the packaging: it can leak around the pump so be careful.

on 7/28/2003 5:04:00 AM

The St. Tropez Self Tanning Lotion is my Holy Grail but I bought this just to try it, and I like it a lot. It is NOT as dark as the lotion at all imho...it doesn't get my mmm skin quite as dark but it would work wonderfully for fairer skins. The color guide isn't quite as dramatic either, so it's easier for klutzes like me to miss little spots. It's still excellent and one of the best self tanners that I've ever tried, and I've tried many.
The scent is stronger than the lotion but not as offensive as other tanning products. You spritz it on, then rub it in. It doesn't really matter how evenly you applied it, as long as you haven't missed any spots it will not streak at all. This dries quickly and doesn't get all over things like the lotion does. The bottle is great, you can spray upside down which is really convenient. Not for the face, since the spray can't really be 'controlled' but excellent for the body. I'd buy it again, but I still prefer my lotion. continued >>

on 7/6/2003 2:11:00 PM

The very best stuff out there! I wished I had tried it earlier! I always ended up streaky with cream self tanners and the whole procedure used to be a hassle, no matter what brand I used. To sum it up this is 1)fast 2)even 3) natural 4) long-lasting

This stuff can be applied easily in no time and it goes on absolutely evenly and looks very natural. At first exfoliate your skin and make sure to moisturize any dry areas really well (ellbows, knees...). Spray on and immediately massage in - it dries up within 2-3 minutes without any sticky residue. I found that I have to be careful when doing my legs- sit down and put them up, because when you're spraying while standing more mist will reach your feet and they may look too dark then.

This holds up really well, too. I go riding everyday, so I sweat in tight pants a lot. No colour transfers to my clothes and after a week the tan has faded a bit but is still visible and even. WOW! A perfect product, the only negative thing about it is the hefty price-tag. Yet I think it's worth every cent! continued >>

on 6/6/2003 10:02:00 PM

I have used the St. Tropez lotion for a few years now and love it. Then I found the Mist! Oh my God! This is the best, IMO. The color is the same as if you used the lotion (very real, even on my ghostly, Irish skin...), but the application is ten times easier. Put a towel on the floor or do it in the shower, because the mist can get everywhere, but you can apply to you whole body in 2 minutes flat. For me, this is the best. I always liked using self tanner, but hated applying it, so this rocks my world. Its easier to get an even application on your back, too, without any help! yea!!

on 6/3/2003 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I had problems in the beginning when I was using the whipped mousse, the color was fantastic, but it did not look "real" on my very pale pale skin. **ANSWER** Using a self tanning glove (I bought mine at WalMart for $3.00) and rubbing the whipped mousse or bronzing mist onto my skin, gave me the PERFECT REALISTIC tan... makes a HUGE difference using a self tanner glove...try it!! ^^