St.Tropez Bronzing Mist

No Image

3.8

I've been using Fake Bake the past couple of years, but it keeps coming off on my bed sheets and well..I think it was a bit too dark for me. So, I decided to use St. Tropez Bronzing Mist. It dries in seconds and I use St. Tropez's self tan mitt to rub it in. Doesn't come off on my bed sheets, gives a more natural tan than Fake Bake and doesn't have the dreaded fake tan smell - only slightly. I think Fake Bake might be for darking skin tones. I'm surprised at this stuff because I thought it might be orange, but I have fair skin and it looks like the golden colour I go in the sun!! Fantastic!

This is a great product if you want a natural glow. It is hard to achieve an actual noticable dark tan with this unless you use a lot for like, 5 days in a row or more. The colour is a perfect natural tan brown and only has a slight fake tan smell. It goes onto the skin quite clear, no colour quide, which I like and sinks in almost imediatley. Iv'e tried a lot of fake tan and St. Tropez is in it's own league. I haven't tried the lotion yet and Im very hesitant to because I can't stand the thought of going to sleep in a thick layer of oily, uncomfortable lotion. I have to admit that the mist spray is a little hard to apply and spread, but if you mix it in with moisturiser, it's much easier. Although, to me, this technique wastes quite a bit of the mist so I've been trying to think of a better way to apply this. I figured that at salons they use liquid in their spray tan machines, so I just bought my own little spray tan machine off ebay ($AU200) and I am going to give that a try. I don't know if it will work, but I see no reason why it won't since all the machine needs is a liquid tan, and St. Tropez Mist is liquid! My sister is going to try it out on me soon and I'll update soon.

on 4/3/2007 5:33:00 PM

After having a St.Tropez bronzing treatment done at a spa, the lady recommended I use this to help the color last longer at home. It comes with a sponge applicator that helps for your face, back and other hard to reach places. While it did help to keep the color, there are some things to keep in mind:
1. exfoliation every 3 days and moisturizing everyday are KEY
2. this gives a light application when applied with the sponge (I plan to try it with my hands the next time I use it to see if it gives more coverage)
3. due to the light application, it is really hard to apply it so it will streak
4. you could benefit from applying it 2 nights in a row and then wait until your next exfoliation to apply again
5. I spray the sponge over the sink and then apply (usually with 3 squirts) The mess was minimal.
6. apply at night after exfoliating in the shower and shower in the morning to rinse off the color guide
Practice will make perfect, IMO, and you need to experiment with application techniques to see what works best for you. As I said before, it really seems impossible to apply this wrong if you are covering all parts with care. I found the lotion to be a bit more tricky, especially on my hands and feet and I will rate that product as well.

on 8/22/2006 2:41:00 PM

I really like the St Tropez self tanners and use the original lotion and mousse regularly. I don't think the bronzing mist is that good for use all over the body as it's very messy and the spray will spray your walls! I do however think it's great to cover the chest area, which I find on my pale skin takes quite a few applications to get a good result. It's also great to apply to the backs of your hands. You just spray and then wipe the backs of your hands together. Overall I think this is a great supplementary tanning product which I use with the other St Tropez tanners to great effect.

on 4/18/2006 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have used St Tropez for years and have tried all of the products (most of which are good). However after recently using the spray mist i developed an allergic reaction around my neck and shoulder area (itchy, sore skin) a bit like eczema. I also think that the tan remover product is a total waste of money as it only removes tan for up to 4hrs AFTER application but the tan itself takes up to 8hrs to develop, my point being that you wouldnt know if any tan needed removing(e.g. streaks, knee area, feet etc) until the tan had fully developed. I think the manufactures need to go back to the drawing board on this one and develop a remover that works whenever it is required.

on 1/21/2006 8:49:00 PM

this spray design ought to be either dropped, or radically overhauled. As the previous reviewer observed, this work ok until it clogs with 'more than half the product left'. Even before it clogged, it wasn't perfect as it isn't a very fine mist (try 'spraytan' for a lovely fine mist...but again this one can also tend to clog before it's empty). Anyway don't think you can rub down a bad spray session- more often than not, this just wipes away your efforts. You'll end up having to spray tons and then attempt to smudge into some kind of unity. I can say that St Tropez are the masters of self tan, so this is luckily idiot proof: beautiful even brown result next day when you wash it off. My complaint is that it's extremely messy, rubbish pump, unsatisfactory mist effect. Don't buy this, buy the faultless St Tropez mousse. That gives same result but is way easier to apply, and dries even quicker! I actually threw away my spray, with a third still in the bottle. If the bottle hadn't got so mucky, I could have sold it on Ebay!!! If i'm going to spend 30, i don't want to have to mix it with a cream, put it in a bowl, etc. I want it to be a finished product!! Please AVOID!!!!

on 8/17/2005 1:04:00 AM

great results. No streaking or white spots. Colour could be a bit darker...but I do like it being buildable.
Messy application. Next time I'll do it inside my shower and just rinse.

The sponge applicator was useless...way better to use your hands and a latex sponge for the face.

on 6/28/2005 3:23:00 PM

I used a tanning mitt to apply the shimmering mist, and I got a fright at how dark it was. It went on really unevenly no matter how much I tried to blend. I thought I would be able to go out with an instant tan, but every time I touched it or rubbed anything against it there were smudge marks. I couldn't even put my shoes on without it coming off! After it had developed I washed off the bronzy shimmery stuff and was left with a very pale tan- not worth the effort at all! I'm glad I got it on ebay and didn't pay full price. Don't waste your money, I think out of all the St Tropez products this is the worst. The best one for colour is still their original lotion, but I don't like how sticky it feels, and I don't like the sludgy colour guide either. Sigh, will I ever find a non sticky fake tan with a good deep colour? I've been using fake tan for 12 years and still not found The One.

on 6/11/2005 9:02:00 AM

It's important to realise there are actually 2 different spray-on products, the Shimmering Mist and the Bronzing Mist. I've tried them both and much preferred the Bronzing Mist.

The Shimmering Mist has a bronzer type substance in it so that you skin literally shimmers after you've applied. It looks very unnatural, especially on the face, so I just used to apply it before bed. Unfortunately it produces a very light colour once washed off, and it really broke out my face and back.

The Bronzing Mist on the other hand gave me a nicer colour on my Type 1 skin(nicer than the mousse), faded better then the mousse and didn't break me out. So I'd definetely recommend the Bronzing Mist but not the Shimmering spray.

First of all, when they say "Shimmering Bronze", they mean "SHIMMERING BRONZE!" I looked like a statue of bronze, seriously. DH was frightened of me. I have never seen a darker color guide in a self-tanner and it was very metallic. It was a MESS to apply, too. All over my bahroom, since it's a spray. I was bleaching towels like crazy this morning. In the end, it came out pretty light. It wasn't very dark at all after I washed it off. I seriously thought I was going to have to call off work today since I was prepared to look like a freak, a la Ross on Friends. But it was pretty light, a little disappointingly light since I get darker results from the Whipped Bronze(Mousse).

Edited 6/28/05: Halfway through use, the spray mechanism on the bottle stopped functioning. I had to unscrew it and pour the solution out onto a sponge to apply. This resulted in a.) a mess and b.)half the product going down my sink. I will be sticking to my mousse going forward!