MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35
MAC BBPrep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait D’orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

I wanted to try a BB cream for the summer since I usually wear the Studio Tech and its very heavy and has no SPF. I really love how my skin looks with this on but I wish that putting it on wasn't such a project. It is very streaky when using a foundation brush but goes on great with a sponge. The problem with using the sponge is it takes up double the product. At $30 a tube that really isn't ideal. The MA at MAC told me to pat it on with the brush and it takes forever:(

Love it as a primer under my sfn powder. Needs to be applied quickly!!!! Must also use a light hand or it appears dry and cakey. I use a wet beaty blender. Not great for someone that needs heavy coverage. Overall great for evening out skintone :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I decided to get this bb cream for my foundation primer after being persuaded against the prep and prime skin by an employee. I like how easily it applies and feels like a tinted sunscreen. The downside to this is that I don't think it is non-comedogenic as I am breaking out more than usual using this even if I am taking off my makeup every night before bed and washing my face thoroughly. If I still had the box with the return sticker on it I would gladly return it but I threw it away and have to use it until its gone. I really wanted to enjoy this as it is a big splurge (30 bucks for a tube) but alas I felt like it was a big waste of money and I do not want to throw it out entirely. I will stay with the prep and prime skin since it absorbs oil anyway and feels good on my skin when I run out of this. Maybe in the future and when it gets too hot for regular thick foundation I will buy a BB cream that will hopefully not clog my pores.

on 5/3/2013 11:18:00 PM

This is the first BB that I have tried...and it works great for me. I especially like the amount of SPF protection (35 I think). It matches my skin an looks natural....probably will be my go to for the summer. I wear it alone and set with powder, I would describe it as light coverage. I tried the very light shade as I am quite fair.

on 4/17/2013 4:58:00 PM

I was looking for another BB Cream because I am running out of my Smashbox Camera Ready one. I have a few MAC eyeshadows and a foundation - and I'm really loving their products! This BB is exactly what I was looking for. It helps control oil, it has a SPF of 35 (which is really good for me because I am so pale!) and it goes on for a nice sheer natural finish. It does have a bit of a sunscreen smell, but that doesn't bother me. I usually wear this alone without powder, but if I'm having a day where my skin wants to be a bit problematic, I will apply some translucent loose powder to my t-zone. It stays on well throughout the day. It's not as waterproof or smudge resistant as the foundation that I have by MAC, but it works well for me. It really covers up the redness that I occasionally have in my cheeks and around my nose. It helps me achieve the flawless 'no makeup' look that I am most comfortable wearing. I apply it with my fingers and blend blend blend until it looks even. It isn't difficult to blend it that way, however, if I use a regular foundation brush, it gives me a very 'streaky' or even sometimes a 'cakey' look. If that happens I just blend it out with my fingers until it disappears. This is a very nice product, good for the warmer months when I need something a bit lighter.

I am extremely disappointed in this product. I have only used 2 others, but in comparison this is the worst so far.
It is fairly expensive for the amount you get, in fact I think the cap is made larger so it is even more deceiving just how little product you are getting for $30.
I don't feel that it applies as easily as my others, I use a foundation brush and it was very streaky, and I had to keep blending it out.
What I specifically do not care for though is rather than floating above my skin, giving me a flawless look, it seems to settle into every pore, looks very dry and noticeable. It looks like I have a powder caked on my face, which is definitely not the look I wanted.
My purpose in using a BB is to even out the redness in my cheeks. I have sensitive combination skin, but even on my oily nose this is flaky.

If I had to try and pinpoint some positives, it is slightly luminous rather than overly shiny, so you look healthy not oily. Tone-wise they seem to be more natural rather than the ghost effect some seem to have.

For my needs, this is not the right product, and for this price it needs to be...my search for the perfect BB continues!

on 4/15/2013 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

EDIT: I was a little harsh on this product in my last review...It's not that bad, especially since I've tried more products since. The middle shade "Light" is perfect for NC15, and it has great SPF coverage....The trick is to apply this with a brush like the Real Techniques Buffing Brush...it makes all the difference in the world! I alternate between this BB cream, Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation in shade 51 (Light Vanilla) and Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer in Porcelain. Mac at least has SPF coverage, while the Bourjois and LM do not (LM says it does, but the ingredients say that it's a ridiculously insignificant amount). I do like this and will continue to use it on and off.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have only tried one other BB cream to compare this to, and that was the orange bottle of SKIN79 which totally sucked for me. I am NC15 (pale with warm undertones) and so I originally bought this Mac BB cream in Extra-Light, which looked like a white mask on my face, so I exchanged it for Light which matched perfectly to my skin tone. The formula is very thick and it smells like sunscreen. It has great coverage for a BB cream (at first...), but it feels too heavy to wear all over the face. I have sensitive, dry skin and I am prone to little breakouts here and there...This cream is not ultra-hydrating and it does have the best coverage. I don't like wearing foundation over my entire face, I tend just to wear concealer where I need it, and I was hoping this BB cream would serve as an SPF35-type of tinted moisturizer!

I find this has given me little bumps on my forehead and in certain areas of my face. I'll keep it to use it a few times a week, but definitely not every day. Disappointed that this didn't turn out to be my dream BB cream. The colour match is ideal though, but at NC15 I am used to being the palest of shades, and the extra-light was too light for me. They need to work on their colour range, because the darkest is "Light Plus" which is not that much darker than the Light which I wear...

I tried this product to see how long it lasts -the wear- and it lasts for a good amount of time! Which should have been expected since it says "Prep + Prime". I haven't tried other BB Cream, but I am amazed by MAC's. It has minimum coverage, but it seems to cover enough for me. My face looked so fresh after I put it on. I definitely saw a change. The packaging is simple and it's really expensive. I do recommend this product to those who can afford it. I am in love with this cream though. What amazed me is that it actually cleared up my face a bit and kept it nicely moisturized. Keep in mind, I have never worn foundation or concealer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really enjoy this product. I have fair skin and they have such good colors that I wear their darkest shade! The scent is light and I love the coverage and texture of this product. It gives me enough coverage that you can still see my freckles and it is wonderful! :)

on 3/29/2013 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Good coverage, matches my skin tone well but, it makes my face look so dry!