Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream

3.6

Not tested on animals

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I started using Jane Iredale compact powder several years ago. I think I am allergic to parabens and mineral oil following many years of sun tan lotion use when sailing. I am sure it was an accumulative issue, but have no desire to try them out again. I absolutely loved the powder. It is light, but covers well, giving me a good SPF coverage and being portable to boot.

Now in my 50's I felt I needed more coverage, and decided to take the plunge and get a BB cream as I was going to Australia for 10 days. The idea was a foundation-like product with good SPF which would not upset my skin.

Well I hated it, really hated it. It felt thick, non-mobile in terms of spread ability. I felt like I had this thick plastic mask on. The only good thing is that I did not burn.

On returning to NZ, I went back to the compact again and was very happy to do so.

However, I felt the powder was beginning to make me look older, sitting on top of my skin or in the creases. Time to make a change.

I tried the BB cream again, and once more hated it. Not giving up, though, I watched several videos, including Jane's on how to apply it. I also went to my stockist to ask advise and discuss dislike of the product.

The secret, is definitely in the application. I was advised I could add it to moisturiser to make it more malleable and that it is indeed supposed to be very thick. The idea is once applied, it does not move!!!

I now use a pea sized amount which I put on the base of my thumb. I let is warm up on my skin and apply tiny dots on my face and spread it out on newly moisturised skin. I use the pads of my fingers and work quickly and gently, as if I am applying a light oil. I work in sections, so it does not have time to settle in any one space as a blob.

The only downside is that it tends to make a dry area by my nose more noticeable, but I add a little concealer here to hide this, as suggested by my stockist.

Overall I have begun to like this product and would advise anyone trying it to either have a beautician show them how to apply it, or look at the video tutorials. Whether I would repurchase is open to debate at this stage, but I am hoping by Summer I have become proficient enough in its application that I do.

I like this BB cream a lot. In my opinion, it is more like a full on foundation though. My skin feels good and I don't feel like I have a lot on. Matched my skin tone perfectly , which is really hard to find. Only down side is the pricing..... $48.... I only bought it because I get a discount where I work

Very good coverage for people who need it, but very heavy as well. It looked a bit cakey on me and it rubbed off on my sunglasses - something I hate! Also, it was quite thick and had to blend it in quickly. Overall it was ok, but I wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This caused me to breakout - huge cystic pimples on my chin which only started to disappear once I worked out this bb cream was the culprit. I also found it had poor coverage and was drying. I like jane iredale but this is a no for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm a fan of the JI pressed mineral foundation, but was wanting something a bit lighter coverage-wise, so thought I'd give this a try. This isn't a BB cream, it's more like a thick, waterproof concealer that's extremely difficult to blend. It also separates on the skin (especially if there are dry spots like mine). You need a really good cleanser to remove it - I put it on the back of my hand & apply with a brush & it takes several vigorous washes with soap to get most of it off my hand (not all of it!). Luckily, I do have a really good cleanser (Estee Lauder 3 in 1) which does remove it completely. I like a natural look, so this "BB cream" is definitely not for me. It's also ridiculously expensive (NZD99).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm an Iredale fan, but not because of this BB Cream. I use their PureBase pressed powder in Satin and it's the Best pressed powder I've used (and I compare with Bare Minerals and Cover Fx).

First off, ''Glow Time'' is not a BB Cream. It's a full-fledged FULL coverage foundation. It will cover everything, which is a plus, but with major drawbacks. The poor choice of color, combined with opaqueness and poor blendability, restricts the number of potential contented users. If, by chance, you are a perfect match for one of their 6 shades, then perhaps you will like it. But you have to be experienced in applying makeup, because it dries quickly and needs to be spread out with a foundation brush.

But even then, you will need to have no pores and no dry skin. As most of us gals have either oily skin (thus pores) or dry skin (thus dry patches), or both, this further restricts the possibility of this foundation suiting you.

As I bought a color that was wrong for me, and have both pores and dry patches, this was a terrible choice for me and I regret very much that I bought it from a spa that is loath to take returns. Still, I appreciate the absence of skin irritants (it does have silicones, which are not irritants per se, but I read on this forum that some find them bothersome). I also appreciate the SPF. For that reason alone, I give it two lippies.

CAUTION : You will need a heavy-duty cleanser to get rid of this. It does indeed work as advertised as water-resistant. If that's what you need, then you may have found your HG, but for daily ''normal'' use, that's another problem with this product because even though it might not be irritant to sensitive skin by itself, the arduous process of taking it off might very well irritate your skin. It made mine more red than it had been in a few weeks. I used Éminence's clear skin cleanser as usual, and it was still ALL there. No kidding! Then I SCRUBBED with a handtowel with more Éminence cleanser, and painstakingly it started to come off. I never scrub my skin and I don't use makeup-up remover either, usually for lack of a need for it. THEN, as there was STILL much visible ''BB cream'', I made myself a kaolin white clay mask. Absorbent properties of clay would surely do away with the rest of the cream, I thought. I waited 10 minutes, took off the mask, then indeed looked makeup-free (and it was a relief as the ''BB cream'' had given my skin horrible fake texture!).

The next morning, I gently washed my face with Éminence Stone Crop gel wash to remove nighttime oil/sweat. Then I sat in front of my mirror. That's when, thanks to full daylight, I saw there was STILL a spot on my face where the darn BB Cream stuck!!! I had to massage the area with pure argan oil to have it come off and I could see the yellow/orange very clearly on the tissue I used.

If you cleanse with oil, then this might not be a huge problem, as the argan oil seemed to be able to take it off my skin. Still, I'm miffed the spa assistant did not mention this. Anyhow, for those who have found this product to cause breakouts, I believe it's because it might not come off fully at night, not because any of its ingredients are bad or comedogenic.

Bottom line : do try it out in a store, but apply it on your full face to see how it appears on your skin texture and how easily it comes off at night. I would not recommend buying this before trying to wash it off at least once.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I have only been using the bb cream3 for a short period, but am very impressed so far. It covers my rosacea redness extremely well, and I like that it serves as concealer, sunscreen and supplements my moisturizer. It takes a few minutes to settle into my skin, but is virtually invisible. The price is comparable for similar quality products, and, since you use so little per application I do not anticipate having to purchase more than once or twice per year. I noticed that some reviewers had issues with breakouts and/or difficulty removing the product effectively. I cleanse with a Clarisonic oscillating brush, and it cleans my face (I am 60+ and on the dry side) gently and thoroughly.

In summary
-has a spectrum of choices for fair skin
-full-coverage
-a little can go a long way
-uselessly waterproof
-CAUSES BREAKOUTS!

1. fair shades
The shade BB3 and BB5 work for my light-warm skin tone.
There's nothing orange in it, but both contain a lot of yellow.

2. coverage
95% of my red blemish scars are covered

3. A little goes a long way
About a pea sized amount is more than enough for the whole face.
If you apply too much, you'll look like a clown

4. Waterproof
This makes removing this BB cream very hard!

2. BREAKOUTS!
Diligent and careful skincare helped me reduce the amount of blemishes I have....until I bought this BB cream.
My chin broke out in large cysts in a matter of hours after applying the BB cream every time I use it. I could observe bumps showing up. I didn't even breakout in cysts like that!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Its "ok". I bought this as a recommendation from my esthetician. I've used far better BB creams that are much cheaper, Skin 79 brand is very good and I'll probably go back to that, but I'm going to continue using it for two weeks just to see if it helps my skin. It looks alright on smooth, clear skin. But if your skin is a little dry or breaking out the coverage is strange and awful. That's the only way I can describe it.

Also, I think it made me more oily and it comes off very easily even when I put on a layer of powder. The color is odd, much more yellow than other BB creams, that typically have a gray or purple kind of cast. Though it did mellow into an ok shade after application. But yea, for the price point I expected a lot more.

a bb cream should perform as advertised. I've bought two shades of this and it makes my skin look chalky and flaky. sorry but I don't think I should have to prop it up with other products. disappointed.