St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by skin type : Combination
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.8

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

I have been using st tropez dark for at least 3-4 years now. When I notice I'm getting low I go out and purchase several bottles at a time to ensure I don't run out. This stuff is awesome! I am naturally incredibly pale, like a piece of paper. In Mac I'm probably about an N3, which if you see it looks like it couldn't possibly suit anyone because it's so pale and ashy. I am also blonde so when I am not tanned and with my very light hair, I resemble a plate of potatoes. Sooo washed out and pale. St tropez dark is my secret! It takes me to an nc20 skintone which to many is very pale but I actually just look like a normal, naturally fair person (instead of being pale white)! A lot of reviews I've read say that this product leaves a green tint which I do not understand. I am PALE and I can see a hint of green when I first apply before bed, but in the morning after showering off it reveals a warm toned glow. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because it doesn't last very long on me. The loving tan ultra dark gets me a little darker and lasts longer, however it doesn't wear off as nicely. The st tropez dark may not last more than about 3 days on me, but it wears off very naturally and evenly, which is important when my skin underneath is so pale that other fake tans (like the loving tan) wear off in a scaly and ugly way. Overall this tan is fabulous and I highly recommend it!

on 10/7/2014 2:25:00 AM

I really like this self tanner. It's easy to apply and doesn't streak. I find it quite a bit darker than the original which means it needs less layers to achieve the desired colour. It's also green based so it doesn't turn out orange.
The reason why I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because it fades quickly. Once I've showered the tan becomes much lighter. If it stayed as dark as when first applied it would be perfect. This might not be an issue for you, but I like my tan quite dark.
Like most self tanners, it can come off a bit patchy, so remember to moisturize! It's not ridiculously expensive when you consider the price of a spray tan at a salon, but it's more than I'd like to pay for self tanner.
Overall, It's definitely one of the better self tanners I've used, and I've used a lot :)

I am a pale and neutral/cool toned. I have also used the regular St Tropez mousse, and Vita Liberata 2-3 week in medium.

On my PALE skin, this produces a natural result. But I MUST be careful with application.

However, I would warn against using this as a first go at self-tanning. Start with the regular/white bottle, which itself gives good color. This dark version is a much more high-maintenance product than the regular version.
Here's why: it is very sensitive to moisture. For 8 hours. You really should apply this before bed, because any sort of sweat ...and even washing your hands!!!...will muck this up. It also does not blend quite as easily as the regular. This might not seem like a big deal but if you sweat at all and happen to have your arms crossed…. you'll find patches on the inside of your elbows. It's that finicky.

In disagreement with other reviews I've read, I did not find this produced any more odor than the original.

I would recommend it as a "topper." Use the regular on your whole body, and apply a top-up of the dark on the places you want extra "sun" -- shoulders/upper arms, decollete, maybe inner/outer thighs for some slimming. It's fussy around ankles and wrists, so limiting its use to where you want the most pop! ensures the best results.

have fun!

on 7/2/2014 11:07:00 AM

I received a voucher to get 25% off any St.Tropez products. Now I am a person who tans a lot and I have gone from self tanners like St..moritz, to many fake bakes and now this. It's taken me so long to finally purchase St. Tropez tan. First of all this is £33 from the official website, and it unfortunately doesn't come with a mitt. The mitt is sold separately for just under £4, however I highly recommend this applicator if you want to achieve the best results. I have been using fake bake flawless tan for a while which has a very quick and easy application, so in comparison to fake bake I found the application of st.tropez mouse hard work. But that is probably because I need to adapt to the technique they recommended. You do not need huge dollops of this product at all because it spreads a lot. At first the colour is very olive toned so I would recommend for this tan to only be used before bed or if you do not plan on leaving the house. Try to avoid water for 4 hours at least. Once fully developed you will be left with a lovely golden colour. I was worried to shower because I'd read that the guide colour is much darker and washes off a lot of colour, however for me mine seemed to stay on a lot more than I had expected! I only put 2 layers everywhere and just 1 on my arms, which is impressive as with St.Moritz and Fake Bake I seem to have to apply layer after layer to achieve my tan. This is brown not at all orange. This tan lasts a good week if you keep moisturised, it fades more than comes of 'scaly' which is perfect. Not to mention the smell is so fresh and clean, so you don't have to go to bed smelling that unpleasant smell ( but the smell does creep in later on). I would highly recommend this product even for this cost, I think the top quality ingredients helps justify the price.

on 12/11/2013 8:16:00 PM

MY HG TAN!!

After using Le Tan in deep bronze for YEARS, i didnt really need to try anything else, i loved it, and didnt think i could get anything darker.

For some reason, dont remember why, i tried it.
And wow.

It was a completely different colour, it went on a dark moss green, which i freaked out about at first. I was used to Le Tan being orange.

Slept in it, woke up, looked streaky and dark and i freaked! I didnt know this, but that is just the guide colour, and it washed off and looked amazing after a shower.

It is green based so it looks natural, and not like a tandoori chicken. It also doesnt smell as bad as Le Tan.

It kind of fades and doesnt wear off patchy like LeTan too, so i love that aswell!

Only cons are-
. Stains your hands even if you wash straight away, so use a mit!
. Doesnt last long, maybe haf a week to a week so it may use up quickly and its expensive!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I like this tan, it's a bit on the sticky side for a mousse, but it gives a nice natural looking tan. The thing I don't like about the dark formula is the first day it has quite a greeny tinge to it, however this seems to disappear after the first shower. Must just be part of the colour guide. The original formula is a bit light for the sort of tan I want but has a nicer overall colour.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This self-tanner is so natural looking, you'll never look orange. It's easy to apply (with a mitt!), dries quickly, and doesn't bleed onto clothes or sheets. It looks green and dirty when you apply it to your skin, but it absorbs overnight into a nice, dark glow. The only issue I have is the application to hands and feet. It should be done last with residual mousse left on the mitt and rinsed off. It's a bit pricey but definitely worth it. I've repurchased it twice. It's much better than the Original (too light) and Express (not always natural looking).

This is such a good product, it never comes out streaky even when I rush through it, takes me a max of 10 min to apply and can shower 2 hours later and it still looks pretty dark and keeps getting darker throughout the day/night, it looks natural and the green tint on the mousse keeps it from being orange

I used the regular St. Tropez self tanning mousse for many years and LOVE it. With that said, I just tried the "Dark" formula last night for the first time and I'm blown away!

When I first applied the tanner it was a hideous green/brown shade. However, once I let it dry and set overnight I woke up to a much darker complexion, albeit it being a bit more on the orange side. Once I took a shower, I was fascinated to see that the color developed into a dark natural looking tan---the orange shade disappeared and I was left with a golden brown complexion. In comparison to the original formula, I would've had to apply it 2-3x to develop the color that I did with the darker formula. I cannot comment on how long the color lasts since I've only applied it last night, however I WILL report back in about a week, or so.

All-in-all, I'd highly recommend this....especially for someone that's looking for a dark natural tan once the green/brown solution has set and developed (8+ hours).

Pros:
-intense dark golden tan in just one use
-barely noticeable DHA ("self tanner") smell
-less product needed to achieve desired color
-easy to blend (but dries very quickly)
-tinted so it minimizes any chance of streaks or missed spots
-dries quickly and doesn't smudge/rub off skin as easily

Cons:
-pricier than original formula
-LESS product than original formula
-dries a lot quicker than original so be prepared to blend, blend, blend!
-CANNOT be applied prior to going out (like original formula)...unless you don't mind having a dark green complexion!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Holy tanning gods!
When it says Dark, it means DARK!

I applied the formula around 7:30am and by 12:30pm I was SUPER dark! Looked like I just went tanning in a bed for weeks and weeks. As always I'm a huge fan of the mousse, it applies well and the color is perfect. To those who say the green tint throws you off...think of it this way. What color is opposite of orange on the color wheel? Blue and close to it is green (red is the exact opposite of green). They put those pigments in the formula to combat any possibility for orange to show in your color! Its there for a reason!
Definitely be careful with your application. Use the applicator mitt or a rubber glove, or be warned. You must be precise and accurate with your application, this stuff dries quick. Just take your time and I'm sure the color you get will be beautiful!
Is it worth the $44 I paid for at Ulta? Definitely NO. But the color is amazing and instead of doing two applications of the regular formula to get the same (if lighter) results of the Dark, I'm willing to pay a little more.