St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by skin type : Combination
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.8

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

Horrible. I applied this last night. The green color is startling to say the least. Glad I had planned to do it just before bed. I washed it off this morning and I swear I still have a green tinge. I don't know how they can call this product "dark". I've been using the Express Bronzing Mousse and it comes out darker than this in only 3 hours, with a much nicer result. So disappointed with this product.

I used to love it until I came across LovingTan. I wouldn't buy this in the future.

Cons:
-I have sensitive skin, so for 2 days after I would be madly scratching little bumps all over my body.
-The smell wasn't that nice. Especially the first day of your tan, if you sweat on a hot day the tan smell emanating from your body is overpowering.
-The guide colour looks quite patchy while you are baking so I never wanted to wear it out until washed off - in saying that, when it was washed off I was no longer patchy.
- When getting close to its last days it would become very patchy

Pros:
-Good colour

on 11/18/2013 10:33:00 PM

Although I'm a redhead and allergy prone, I don't tend to be allergic to many beauty products. I spot tested this product on my arm and neck before applying it all over, and I didn't have any reaction. However, after fully applying it everywhere, I got hives. It was pretty awful and I had to return it. Just a warning for some of those girls out there who have allergies to some products, this may be one of those!!!

There are a lot of pros with this self tanner, but I'm sorry, the cons really do beat the pros!

CONS:
First thing - this has a very strong 'guide color'. When I wake up in the morning it does look very very dark but not in the most flattering way, you can defintely tell it's a bit greenish. When I'm off to take my
shower, I would say 60% of this color is gone. To me it looks like any light fake tan.

And second - this is veeeery prone to getting blotchy. When it's drying I have to be so careful not to get one single water drop on it or either it will make a little white dot. And one tip, do not go out with this without showering off the guide color! I did once and I had washed my face, and you could tell so hard that some water had run down my neck, aaaawful!

You also have to moisturize your skin AT LEAST one time a day or it will start to crack up looking all funky around your elbows, wrists and hands. This has also stained my clothes even after I've washed them, leaving it looking a little bit greeny or pink.

The PROS? I like the scent, I like how easy it is to apply and that you can really see if you have missed a spot. I like that it really does make me look extra dark, and for an evening out when the light is not so bright it is perfect. And for me this price is ok.

Would I buy this again though? No. I want something that stays dark and that isn't so easily patchy. I will keep looking for my perfect self tanner!

on 9/7/2014 1:18:00 PM

I selftan since 2 months. So far I absolutely love Xen Tan Dark Lotion.

Positives: mousse, super easy and fast to apply with mitt, dries very fast, not orange nor yellow, smells pleasant and after some hours the smell is only noticeable very close to the skin
Negatives: it's not as dark as the Xen Tan dark, after 4-5 days you can notice the patches, when drying it leaves whiter creases where your skin folds (wrists, ankles etc.)

The application is a dream, so quick, easy, dries so fast but the patchiness never happened to me and it is not very attractive. It is not cheap either.

Overall I prefer Xen Tan Dark lotion, although a bit trickier to apply it fades beautifully and gives deeper colour BUT I often dont feel like spending longer time applying and then being careful not to touch anything lol, so I do use them interchangeably.

I will repurchase but if I ever find the mousse which does same without patchiness then I will definitely not think twice about switching.

on 1/26/2014 1:28:00 PM

great non-orange colour but after a shower the next morning almost all of it is gone... i expected something better from a 'dark' mousse

Ok, I've been wanting to try this particular tanning product for almost a year now & after extensive research resulting in fantastic reviews I finally justified spending the money on it ($50-$60 Aus) I've been fake tanning my pale but olive skin for 9 years & never had an experience quite like this one. I applied it accordingly, exfoliating & moisturising dry areas before application. I also shaved my legs the day pryer to avoid it seeping into my pores. The mousse applied like a dream, as usual using my tanning mitt to smooth it over my skin, the colour guard made it easy to ensure even coverage. I put on a generous coat, starting with my legs & working up to my arms so i dont get creases on my stomach from bending down to reach my feet. I use whats left over on my mitt after tanning my legs to do my feet & knees, same for my hands & face after doing my upper body. I ended up feeling very sticky! It's smelt lovely for the 1st few hours but did eventually get the tell tale fake tan smell. I applied it before bed & when I woke up I was a gorgeous deep natural brown! Sooo excited!! In the shower even after the colour guard washed I was still pleased with my considerably darker skin! Looking in the mirror afterwards I was a different shade completely & far more golden than brown... I was a little concerned but still reasonably happy with the result! It wasn't until I went outside in natural sunlight that I realised how incredibly unnatural I looked. I resembled, with a little St Tropez gold skin illuminator a Egyptian Goddess! (That sounds awesome right?) Glowing a deep golden bronzed YELLOW, I felt radio active! It was beautiful but definitely very unnatural even without the illuminator that I only applied later that day hoping it would make it appear that's just the look I was going for. On my trip to the shopping centre before I had applied the illuminator I noticed people staring at me (still hoping I was paranoid) out of interest, I asked several random women of varying ages there honest opinions on what they thought about my tan. All of them saying along the lines of its a "nice" colour but obviously UNNATURAL.

In conclusion although I admittedly LOVED the colour unfortunately it's not for me. I can understand the great reviews & how it would work for different people but I want a tan that looks natural not supernatural!

If you don't mind looking mystical or your already naturally tanned & want an intense golden glow this would look stunning! As for me I will continue my search for that perfect DARK NATURAL looking fake tan & when I find it I will be sure to let you all know! 😊

I usually use the regular St. Tropez bronzing mousse and I can say that the darker mousse takes much longer to dry and does not go on nearly as evenly as the other one. I was noticing all types of problems with this product that I never had with the original (very dark knees, freckles on my legs, line across the back of my neck). Although the colour is darker (not as dark as I was expecting honestly) and I don't have to reapply as often but I think I'm going to stick with the original once I finish this can.

on 2/20/2017 9:19:00 PM

The only fake tan I use and ever will use. The only down side is - when it comes to finding it off - it really isn't as dark as you thought it would be (me anyway). But never the less it is still dark. And doesn't go on patchy for me. I do get comments from my partner that it doesn't smell great when I first put it on but hey it's worth it lol. Without this I am just a pale milk bottle x

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I have tried many different self tanners and this is my favorite one so far, unless I find a self tanner that performs the same but is darker. For one it is super easy to apply and the tan looks so real.
Pros:
Lasts me 5 days
Beautiful tan
Doesn't smell terrible
Has a guard

Cons:
It is super sticky during the 8 hours of development
Doesn't fade well. (blotchy after the 5th day)
I have to apply two layers to make the tan dark