SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

3.9

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

on 8/1/2012 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

When I needed a new facial sunscreen with moisturizer, I went to my local Sephora hoping to check out DDF's Weightless Defense UV Moisturizer SPF 45. Of course, my Sephora store didn't carry it so I wandered around the store for about an hour testing out every single oil-free facial sunscreen. I went back and forth between this one, one from Algenist (which had a strong alcohol smell), and one from Peter Thomas Roth (which was too thick and sticky for summer). So I bought this one because I liked the texture the best, and I was out of options. I am in love with this product! It is weightless on my oily, breakout-prone skin, and keeps the shine away, I don't have to use primer anymore to keep my skin matte (and I thought that would never be possible). It absorbs instantly, isn't greasy, leaves my skin amazingly soft, smooth, and matte, and doesn't upset my skin in any way. I put this one my skin after letting my serum sink in for three-ish minutes. I've layered it over a rich (non-oil-free) moisturizer once, and I did have oil slicks midday, but I blame the rich moisturizer and never did that combo again. I don't know if this will be enough to keep my skin moist and soft in winter, but without a doubt, I will be buying this again for summer.

I liked the idea behind this product but it broke me out about two hours after wearing it. Alchohol is high on the list of ingredients so this may have been why my skin threw a hissy.

on 6/5/2012 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Finally I have found a SS that doesn't break my skin out! My skin is very sensitive to every product I put on my face so I have to be careful. This is very light and the consistency is thin and milky so it doesn't leave a white filmy look on your face which is great because I don't wear a lot of foundation. This has definitely kept my face clear and hasn't irritated it one bit. I do smell the fragrance in it but it isn't strong in my opinion. I can stand it. The only problem I have and it clearly states this on the bottle is to avoid applying near your eyes! The first time I tried this it got into my eyes and burned like crazy so I'm going to have to find a non irritating SS for near my eye area. I wish this wasn't so expensive due to the bottle is so SMALL. The first time I bought this I went into Macy's and asked the sa if she had this. She Handed me the bottle and I literally looked at her saying, "that's it?" however this won't stop me from repurchasing since it has not broken me out and is an over all good SS.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Original review: This is exactly like the Shiseido Japanese sunscreen that you have to get exclusively from Japan. It feels just like the Shiseido Hada Senka "Mineral Water UV Protector" without the irritation that one caused me. It's very light, no white cast, not greasy at all, not moisturizing, leaves a shine that looks like it's due to alcohol (not a greasy shine). It's come in a tiny plastic bottle that has a ball in it and you have to shake well before applying. It seems to last well throughout the day, though I haven't tested the sunscreen abilities too hard yet, as summer hasn't really started yet in Seattle. It does highlight flakes a bit, and it's pricier than the Japanese ss that I order from ebay: this tiny bottle is $30 usd. It feels like it contains alcohol but when I asked Sephora for the full ingredients, they said they didn't have them so now I'm e-mailing Shiseido directly for them. The active ingredients listed on the back of the bottle are Octinoxate 7.4%, Octocrylene 3.0%, Zinc Oxide 8.6%. It has a strong floral fragrance. So far, it hasn't given me any breakouts or caused any rosacea flare-up. I don't find that it's particularly stubborn to remove - I just use my usual cleanser (Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser) and it does the trick. So far I love it and will most likely be using it for the summer, as long as it continues to not irritate my skin and if it keeps me pale and sunspot-free.
Edit 8/10/12: After using this for a few months, here's what I have discovered. It's great for incidental exposure and I wear it almost every day for that. However, when I have worn it under strong sun I have burned after less than 30 minutes of exposure. I do apply plenty so I know it's not that. Strange because the zinc content is 8.6% which should be enough, but for some reason this just does not keep me from burning in direct, middle-of-the-day sun. I do love this, but have lowered my rating to a 4 because it's just not strong enough protection to be a 5. When I need dependable protection, I use my Vichy Capital Soleil Dry-Touch Face Emulsion spf 50 or Obagi Nu-derm spf 50.