REVLON Colorsilk Permanent Hair Color

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

I bleached my hair to a very pale yellow and needed to get the last little bit of yellow out to get a more natural blonde. Usually I can do this with Loreal Excellence lightest ash, but there wasn't any in stock. I saw this sitting on the shelf for only $4 in #04 (light natural blonde).
Even though its ammonia free it stinks A LOT. It also burned the area around the back of my neck. There's barely any difference in color at all. Maybe I should have bought an ash tone but the only blonde I saw was this one & it said "natural", which was what I was going for.
What ended up fixing the yellow issue for me was I dumped about 1/4 cup conditioner in a bowl, stirred in a teaspoon of Directions violet dye, then covered my hair with it for 10 minutes then rinsed it out.
So, lesson learned.. I don't even need to smell a stinky toner, or burn, or spend $10 for Excellence after I bleach. I just need a little dab from my violet dye in some conditioner & yellow is gone!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the best box color I have found for covering stubborn gray. It's well priced, easy to apply, gentle, and blends beautifully. I haven't found that it fades like other box colors (Much more expensive ones) do. Highly recommend. I hope they never change or discontinue this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I think we all know that box dye is bad for your hair, however, if you are looking at a box of hair dye to buy in the first place you probably dont care.
I have tried the higher quality looking box dyes there are at the store, this one is no better or no worse. It is the cheapest though so I go for this one.
I used the shade number 12, natural blue black. Its black with cool undertones.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Years ago, I had a bad experience with Colorsilk in the medium brown shade. It turned my hair black and made it dry and dull. For years, I do an at home all over dye job once a month to cover greys and to cover fading. I was a loyal Clairol user but got tired of the lack of exciting brown shades. Colorsilk was on sale for $3.49 @ Walgreens so I ended up picking a new shade called Medium Golden Brown. I typically shy away from anything labeled golden because my hair pulls red big time and a lot of times, I'm not in the mood for red tones. But, I'm looking for a slight change. I have to agree with the reviewer, Rosiej down below. It gives a darker brown shade but with bronze/red tones through it. I noticed by using the included conditioner this time, it did make my hair a lot softer and manageable. The previous time that I used Colorsilk, I skipped the conditioner and just used my conditioner at the time and my hair turned out dull and extremely dry. To compare Colorsilk with Clairol, Colorsilk doesn't give any multi-dimensional tones like Clairol. With Colorsilk, you just get a base shade with one tone. I do like it though. It's a shade darker then what I was using before but in the sunlight, you can see this gorgeous red tone.

I would have to say the only con would be the weak grey coverage. I'm pretty disappointed that all the baby grey hairs around my face were so showing after I colored. I have a lot of baby greys in that area so I know to concentrate and massage the color specifically in that area. I also leave all dye in for 50 minutes because my greys are little stubborn jerk faces. To compare Colorsilk to other dyes in reference to grey coverage, Clairol Nice & Easy is far superior. Garnier is 2nd place however, coverage only lasts for about two weeks on me.

As so far as overall condition of the hair, Colorsilk also come in 3rd place. Garnier is 1st place and Clairol is 2nd place. With Colorsilk, I use the included conditioner and my usual conditioner. I also have to use a leave in conditioner before I blow dry and use shea butter as a styling tx to smooth cuticles. But, keep in mind that my hair is naturally extremely dry.

Will I repurchase? Maybe. After about a few weeks of this color, I'm extremely bored with it. It's a safe color change though if you want something different but not too drastic. I have the skin tone that can never go light so I have to stick to the sea of browns and red browns and hopefully find new and exciting shades. Overall, I rate this a 3.5.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I love it. I just wish it lasted longer

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Revlon Ultra Light Ash Blonde #05
Tried this since I could not find my usual Revlon color (Light Ash Blonde #80)

Warning: This is NOT ash blonde - light blonde, but very warm tones that show up yellow/gold with a hint of orange.
Left my hair way too brassy and will have to re-dye a darker shade to get the yellow out. The dye itself does not go on purple, which is always a warning sign. Should be purple to get a true ash. I even washed my hair with Shimmer Lights twice after dying to try to pull some of the yellow, and it made no difference..
I should have stuck with Revlon Light Ash Blonde #80

Pro: Revlon has never been damaging to my hair, so at least my hair is still healthy.

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

good.

I've been coloring my hair at home for the last 6 years or so. I have Asian textured hair that is very thin, mostly straight and a natural level 2 soft cool black. I've used/tried every home hair color out there - permanent, semi-perm, demi-perm, professional brands from Sally's, root touch-ups....in jet black, soft black, violet-black, blue-black and brown-black.

I regularly use Revlon Colorsilk in Soft Black because it's cheap, easy to find at my local grocery store and I use it to touch up my grays.

I'm on the fence about the color lately, having read a review about it being a "warmer" black shade. But now that I'm older, I do find that a stark, jet black is too harsh for me and looks really aging. I just wish this was more of a neutral soft black rather than a warm one.

The color itself is SUPER CHEAP and I usually use half a bottle at a time, mixing both together in a tinting bowl and applying it to my gray roots with a tinting brush. It always covers my stubborn grays but I do leave it on about 50 minutes. The formula is on the thinner side, so apply carefully or lay down towels/newspapers to protect your bathroom as little drops can go flying and splatter around.

***For those sensitive to hair dye, try mixing a few packets of SWEET 'N LOW into the color. This will neutralize the pH level and get rid of all that itching and irritation. I read that online somewhere and it's been a life saver. No more irritation/redness/hot rashes!***

While this color is cheap and I have used it for a year or so now, it DOES NOT stay in my hair more than about a week. :( I only wash every 3-4 days to try to make it last a bit longer. But you will see the color come out in the shower for at least the first couple washes. :( You get what you pay for and this stuff, sadly, doesn't last.

It would probably make more sense to spend a bit more and get a color that really stays.
But for now, until I research and try another one, this color is cheap and works for the most part. Also, it doesn't smell terrible as there's no ammonia, which is a huge plus. I'll probably keep buying it to have on hand for touch-ups. :)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

For awhile, I've been terrified to dye my hair. Three or four months ago I did a root touch up on my black hair, with garner olia, and since then my hair has been shedding so much, to the point where I literally have to empty the hair out of my hairbrush at least twice while brushing my hair. This has happened to me before the a garnier hair dye so now I know for sure that was the cause.

After doing some research, I read that revlon colorsilk was great for damaged hair. I ended up finding it at Walmart for $7 which is pricey for this product since it is usually around $3 anywhere else. I was still afraid to dye my hair with it, but I am so glad I did.
It made my hair incredibly soft, and the exact colour I wanted which was a vibrant blue black.
Somehow after using this dye my hair has completely STOPPED shedding.
I am blown away by how amazing this product is and my hair is thankful for it as well.

The only thing they could make better is the conditioner packets. I wish it came in A tube rather than a packet.
Other than that I love everything about their dye, it was super quick and easy to mix and not as messy as most hair dyes.

Update: I toned revlons lightest ash blonde color and it toned to a beautiful beige blonde, wasn't worth the burning on my head while it was on so I still wouldn't use it again