NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
NYX Professional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

2.9

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 10/2/2013 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The coverage in this powder is too light and sheer to be a foundation powder - unless you have really good skin. I tried applying it with a dry sponge, wet sponge, and kabuki brush. Each time the coverage wasn't enough to cover my redness or blemishes.

It has a nice matte finish, but the powder didn't last long on my skin. Within a few hours, all that was left on my face was my under eye concealer which is a little too light for me anyway...so it was not a cute look!

I'll use this up as a finishing powder for a BB cream that's too sheer or something, but I will not repurchase.

on 6/13/2013 7:13:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I should have read glamstep's review before buying this, because we have the same skintone (around a MAC NC25) and I ended up having the exact same issue with the same shade she bought (soft beige). It started out as what appeared to be an excellent match, but after a couple of hours (maybe mixed with skin oil) it started to look dirty, uneven, and a little orange, particularly where I had applied a bit extra because its coverage is kind of sucky. I have olive undertones and orange looks icky on me.

The aforementioned sucky coverage is sort of good, however, because I'm still keeping this product around to set other powders or blend/color-correct, and since it doesn't really go on that thickly, it doesn't really mess up my face too much so long as I use it sparingly and over some other makeup.

If you want a Nyx product that has a better consistency, as well as better coverage and staying power, look into Twin Cake. If you're NC25, Nude in that line is perfect.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This was a really disappointing powder. I have extremely pale skin and when I saw this i thought for sure it would be a pretty close match. And it was! For a few minutes.This powder actually oxodized on my skin to a tan color. It comes out darker than it looks in the package. I've had this for a while now and i've noticed its changed color in the compact, too. The coverage is very minimal, I wouldn't call it a powder foundation, more of a finishing powder. It gives no more of a matte finish than any other powder, honestly. I guess it'd be ok if you're very tan but it definitely didn't work for me. If you want a good mattifying powder, try the Rimmel Stay Matte! Cheap and effective.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

A bit of a misnomer here... this powder is lovely, but i would describe the finish as 'silky' or even 'glowing'... not AT ALL matte. As the powder wears, it comes to look rather heavy... i was disappointed...

My skin is somewhere between normal and dry, so it surprises me that a matte finish wasn't achieved!

Also, rather oddly: this powder hit pan faster than anything i've used before! Did i use more in lieu of the promised matte finish? Did they under-fill the pan? Is this powder simply weak in both quality AND quantity?

But it certainly isn't all bad: i couldn't perceive any scent, which is a plus in my book! The compact remained secure, if slightly less painted, in my purse for the duration of its life.
And the biggest reason for my rating leniency: this is a drugstore powder that was pale enough for me!!! The shade (01 Ivory) was light enough to adequately match my shockingly pallid skin! Ooh hoo!

All in all... i find this powder adequate. As i wait for my Meow foundation to arrive, i will continue to scrape the sides of the pan.

on 10/11/2012 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I would not recommend this product to anyone. I know NYX is a very popular brand that is both affordable and constantly updated on the trends women are into, however this product was just terrible.

I got this at ULTA for I believe for $10 (more or less depending on taxes). I was very disappointed. It seemed to hit the pan so quickly! I used it for a week and I could see the middle of the metallic pan showing!

When I used it as foundation, I was also disappointed. I don't feel like I was evening my skin tone whatsoever, which is the reason why I even wear foundation!

When I used it as a powder to set my liquid foundation, I found that it just left me very oily after an hour or two. It also made my skin very dark! Of course it isn't a translucent powder, but hey, it was my skin tone color, and it made me look so orange...

No matter how I used it, I was disappointed.

In conclusion, spend your money elsewhere!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

UPDATE 3/11/2012-I have almost hit pan on this powder, been using it so much with my bb creams that are a shade too light for me, i'd like to add that, this doesnt get cakey no matter how much you layer it on...so it isnt like MAC studio fix where you have super caked faced...

I got this in No.6-medium beige. I am an NC35. This is actually 1 1/2 shades darker than my skin tone after oxidation, which is rare bcuz I have never stumbled upon a powder that oxidize. This is a first for me. On initial application this suits my skin well, but after layering and oxidizing, this left me looking muddy and dirty. Hasnt broken me out. Texture is a little powdery. Stays on for at least 4 hours and then i started getting oily.I have not worn this alone as, I use this mainly to set my foundation so I couldnt comment on the wear of it-when worn alone.

I now use this to color correct any foundations that I have picked up that is lighter than my actual skin tone. Thanks to this, I can now use all my foundations that are a shade lighter than my skin (accidentally purchased and couldnt return). When worn on top of foundation that is lighter, it darkens it to suit my exact skin tone. Coverage is a medium. Layering this after foundation, gives an added coverage. Comes with a mirror and a puff. Doesnt control oil all that well. All in all, a mediocre powder. But I would repurchase this solely for its ability to color correct my liquid foundations when worn on top.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have a love/ hate relationship with this powder. First for a powder foundation the coverage is sheer compared to other powder foundations. Second, it can be too "powdery" I like using brushes to apply powder an this wastes alot of product. Third, the color selection isn't very wide of a range. I do like using this as a finishing powder because it does give a glow to the skin, not a shimmer or glittery look, this is the main reason I do love the powder. I'll probably repurchase this just to use as a finishing powder but I'm still not sure.

on 7/30/2012 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

As a powder this would get a 1. I have the color in Tan but it's very yellow and looks very unnatural on me, but the color before is too light (NC42). The coverage is very sheer, I feel like the powder is not very finely milled compared to MAC studio careblend for example and no this does not stay matte nor control oil at all. However....this is an awesome everyday bronzer. The very yellow tone of this gives my face enough depth which makes it look very natural. There's no orange or brown tone to it and I've experienced no oxidation at all, although I do have to used a lot of the product when I use as bronzer. I'm just wanting to use it up so I can get rid of it and not feel like I've wasted money.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this at Ulta, they had a sale going on w/ nyx products and I decided to give this a try. I got mine in #10 caramel..
1. I thought it would have some coverage but, at least for my skin. It doesnt have any.
2. I do have very oily skin and this does not help control it, I think it made it worse.
3. After applying it makes my skin very itchy (hints why I can't build coverage on it)
&& last but not least
Don't like how the powder gets very messy..
I don't think I'll be buying this anytime soon again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have this in the two lightest shades and like it very much. It is what it says: matte, but not flat-looking. This is achieved with a fair amount of mica, but not enough to look overtly sparkly.

Colors are good, not pink at all. Coverage is sheer to light, but buildable. Will not control major oil, but I use Milk of Magnesia under it for that purpose.

Price cannot be beat: $9.99 at Ulta, plus, they have testers!!!! Testers, I tell you!

Only caveat is that as it is a pressed powder foundation with a sponge applicator, it will highlight any flaky skin, so make sure you have exfoliated/moisturized/primed if you are prone to that.

Compact is overly large, but that is because it has a separate vented area for the sponge. Latch broke on mine but it still clicks.

Overall, good product for quick and easy skin perfection for those who have pretty good skin to begin with. It won't cover active acne, but it does blur old dark marks, though it doesn't hide them totally.

I keep it in my purse for touchups and would buy it again. Pressed powder foundations are in general so poorly made, yet I'm always trying them out on my oily skin and with my busy lifestyle, but this one is a winner!