Essie Very Structured

3.7

on 11/17/2012 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I bought this nail polish on a whim in T.J. Maxx. It was on sale for $3.99, and it looked like a pretty brownish-pink in the bottle. I got it home and put it on my nails and I was not exactly upset, but certainly surprised. The polish went on very evenly and was easy to apply, but when a looked at my nails, they were chocolate brown! Not even a tiny bit of pink. I'm not big into unconventional nail colors like this one, and that's why I gave it three lippies. But if this is your kind of color, it is an excellent nail polish. Will I be repurchasing? No.

on 3/19/2013 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I found this polish at Marshall's for $3.99.
With that said, the price for me was great. I've had this polish in my makeup drawer for months, to be honest I had forgotten about it. I finally grabbed it this past week and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as boring as it looks in the bottle. Although it is brown, it's a red leaning brown (think of a brick). Looks good on my skin even though I seriously need a tan. Like all Essies it went on fine and dried quickly. I probably won't use this enough to ever repurchase, but it is nice to have in my collection, especially since it only cost me $3.99.

on 2/1/2014 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought my bottle of Very Structured in South Africa, where I paid almost US$ 10 due to the mark-up. I had been going through a phase of wanting a tan-leather nail varnish, but didn't like the leather-effect offerings from OPI and this Very Structured product looked like it might come close to what I wanted.

The colour is like a burnished sienna, but what you see is what you get: the colour doesn't change under different lighting. It's a close match for my tan leather accessories.

I've never used Essie before and was very pleasantly surprised by how easy it applies: the texture is thin enough to get even coats, although I do need to apply about 3 coats to get a full coverage. Each coat takes around 5 minutes to dry properly, and I'll finish off with Sally Hansen's Mega Shine top coat to make the application last.

on 7/22/2014 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Same family as OPI's 'Crepes Suziette' which is my all time fave muted slightly retro browned bricky red, however this is more of a burn't sienna shade with quite umber undertones. Definitely a warm girl's friend - if you have golden undertones/can wear olive tones, pumpkin orange or golden browns this is your shade, if you are cool toned this will not be your fave polish. I love the shade and it took ages to get hold of a bottle but I hate the formula - it takes forever to dry and chips terribly (a problem I have with all essie polishes). On the lookout for a shade from Butter london or OPI in this tone as I can't stand applying this only to have it chip off within a few hours.

on 12/19/2016 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ugh. After seeing this color swatched on the web, I tracked down a bottle online through an online retailer, since Essie was sold out online. The color is described as a burnt sienna, and I should have took that to heart. Other reviews said it was a terra cotta, and a lot of the photos online showed it leaning towards a deep red with brown undertones. Just what I wanted.

Not even close. The formula was clumpy, but horribly streaky. Almost globby! 2 coats were all I could do without the color looking too clumpy on my nails, and I've used Essie polishes for years. Most of the time, they are too thin, not globby.

The color first applied has that light orange brown once it hits your nails, but after it dries, it darkens to a pure poop brown (sorry). No reds, definitely not terra cotta. It looks like clay dirt. Really disappointed. I love brown nail polishes and will probably wear this once I'm tan in the summer, but since the application was so nasty- I probably won't wear it as much as I'd hoped. Such a bummer. Will have to keep searching for a good red-brown (that stays more red).