FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara

FairyDrops Scandal Queen Mascara

on 10/12/2012 4:30:00 PM

I had high hopes for this mascara, due to the claim of being long wearing, smudge-proof, and voluminous. I like fiber mascaras for their lengthening properties. I did not think that this mascara held up to that claim.

The price is around $24 dollars or so, I have purchased at Sephora and also the FairyDrops Platinum version via eBay. The tube itself is fat and metallic. The brush is large and curved, with three "balls" attached to one another. They call it the "teddy bear" brush, although I see no resemblance to a cute teddy bear whatsoever. On first glance, its hard to envision how the strange fluff balls would coat lashes evenly.

It is technique sensitive, as you really have to try out different angles to have it coat individual lashes well. I've found that you are supposed to hold it where the brush looks like a "U" and brush through your lashes. It does thicken up over time, so the brush gets gloopy with product. Wiping it with a tissue is such a waste of product, so I usually had to wipe the side of the tube to salvage what I could.

The coverage itself is decent, and it does lengthen with a few coats, but for me it doesn't hold a curl well. It tends to straighten mine out. Also, I am wearing a mask and goggles all day at work, (your friendly dental hygienist) and this does give me black shadows under my eyes. I also use eye drops frequently and this does make it flake as well. I also had a problem with the fluff balls depositing mascara on my eyelid.

I like the idea that they are trying to be innovative with the brush, but the formula is not up to par with the claims. At least for me anyway. It might work better under "normal" circumstances- like gals who have long eyelashes that are naturally curled, and for those who do not have their faces covered up all day long. Lol.

Just to be sure, I have tried the US version, and the Asia version, and did not have that great of results. For the price, I don't think I will repurchase again.

on 8/3/2012 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So this mascara was my next product on my mascara quest and I'm quite pleased. It doesn't run when working out, but it comes off easily in the shower. Gives big voluptuous lashes. The brush is a bit difficult to use at first however once I got the hang of it, it yielded good results. I take off one star because I need to use a lash comb it minimize clumping.

----
Taking off a star. I've been using this mascara for a bit longer now and its clump city! Its waterproof formula is amazing since it comes off easily, but even with a lash comb its difficult not to end up looking like you have 3 or 4 giant eyelashes.

on 3/19/2012 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

gave me lots of length, however I am an Asian chick that has naturally straight lashes. this mascara DID NOT help me keep a curl. my lashes all came down straight even though I gave them a good curl already. returned and got the Lancôme hypnose drama mascara, and am in love with it :)

on 2/1/2018 1:15:00 AM

Good waterproof mascara that separates lashes and holds curl. It also lasted a long time before it started to dry out. I probably won’t repurchase because it’s too hard to find.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This little Japanese beauty is pretty good at what it does. I mean, it's a mascara. It will lengthen and darken your lashes, but don't ask too much of it - no skyscraper lashes here. You know those nifty little bottom lash mascaras? I use this exclusively for my bottom lashes. It gives a subtle, spaced out effect on the top lashes but really excels in covering my bottom lashes and making me feel like a cute lil' lolita doll. That's probably because of the brush which I LOVE - must be a FairyDrops exclusive because I haven't seen such a unique brush in our Western brands. I think the Scandal Queen is only different to the original in that it gives thicker, blacker lashes? I favour big long LOOK AT ME lashes so while this isn't my favourite mascara overall, it's still worthwhile to have! Got this in an NYC Sephora and while I don't remember the exact price, I don't remember weeping as I handed my dollars over.. Good sign, I think.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I got this mascara when sephora was still carrying it. At first look, the packaging is definitely adorable. The gold with red accents makes it stand out and super easy to find in a makeup bag. The wand is curved with 3 lumps on the end. The lumps make it harder for the stopper to really take off the excess product on the wand when you pull it out. But I don't need to redip my brush in the tube for more product. The mascara itself it very nice. You can see the fibers in the formula; that stuff coats your lashes and gives you length and volume. Its a tubing mascara meaning the formula coats your lashes and creates a tube like structure on your lashes making them look the way they do, darker, longer, and more voluminous. It also means that it doesn't smudge or give you panda bear eyes. I've never had any issues with it smudging or flaking. Sometimes when I do minimal makeup, I forget I have mascara on and I'll rub my eyes and the mascara will still be intact and not smudged. It also means that it comes off easily with warm water in the shower just in case you forget to remove your mascara before you hop in. But do be gentle when you rub the mascara off the eyelashes or else your eyelashes might fall off with it. In the end, I really like the mascara even if its a bit more expensive than what I would like to spend on it. I've seen the other versions of this mascara at a japanese store I'm planning on trying those before I repurchase this. But I will definitely repurchase this if I do not find a better or cheaper mascara that I like. Sucks that sephora doesn't carry it anymore.

on 4/19/2013 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Summary: One of my favorite brands of mascara is Fairy Drops, so it's no surprise that when Fairy Drops released a mascara in the U.S. I would be buying it. The formula of this mascara is so different than the general formula they use on their Japanese mascaras. It's much heavier because it's aimed to appeal to a much different market (catering to those with different styles of lashes. Many East Asian lashes are short, sparse, and naturally angle downwards, so mascaras sold in countries like Japan, South Korea, etc. typically have dryer formulas in comparison to those sold in North America and Western Europe). At first I was disappointed because this difference in formula weighed down my lashes, giving an immediate loss of curl. But I quickly learned that this would simply not be a base mascara, and used it as a layering one instead. As a layering mascara, this gives the best volume I have ever used in any other mascara.

Pros: Amazing Volume

Cons: juvenile design (in my opinion of course), non synthetic brush so it eventually lost its shape

Overall Verdict: I recommend this product to anyone who wants lots and lots of volume. It's able to provide that benefit without clumping which is really great. I will definitely be repurchasing this.

on 1/4/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

One of my favorite mascaras. It curls your lashes in a beautiful way. It gives me both volume and length, and my lashes look really bold after just two coats. My only complain is that it seems to flake after a few hours. Wish they could improve their formula.

on 11/30/2012 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this mostly because of all the hype, and the fact that it's Japanese. I'm a sucker for any Asian thing I can get my hands on in Canada. The packaging might have had something to do with it too... Anyway, It's a good product, I suppose. Practically impossible to apply without making a mess, it really takes practice. And I find it clumps my lashes together a bit. And VERY expensive! Otherwise it is a decent product, though I won't repurchase.

on 10/22/2012 2:15:00 AM

I'm pretty sure I did what 90% of the people did and bought it for the cute packaging :) Surprisingly i liked the fibre mascara. It lengthened and volumized my lashes. Didn't flake or smudge and lasted all day. I can see why people wouldn't like the wetness of the product, but if you apply it carefully it really wasn't a big deal. I took off a lippy because it was super expensive (I purchased mine for 28.00can) and i am still on the hunt for the perfect drugstore mascara; I guess you could call this purchase a moment of weakness...