e.l.f. Essential Little Black Beauty Book

Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.7

on 11/13/2013 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the "night" version in hopes it would be good for travelling, but even over a primer there is barely any pigmentation to any given color in this palette. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for a young girl who is just starting out with makeup, but for those who are already skilled it's not worth it by any means.

on 11/13/2013 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

not pigmented at all especially the neutral color, even if i applying it with my finger i have to rub my finger over and over again still it only carry very little product..

Wow, straight up wow. I bought this palette on a whim bc it was 5$ and just wanted to see if the shadows would live up to the hype.....and they did. Well....partially...
The shimmery shadows with the exception of 1 had great pigmentation, not too overly shimmery, smooth and buttery, they came out true to color and the colors were all different, not like other cheapie palettes where in the pan they *look* different but swatched in actuality aren't.

Con: the matte colors are terrible, terrrrible. I had to scrape the matte colors with my nail to create a powder/pigment and then swatch, then and only then did the matte colors show up.

The con of the matte colors still isn't enough to warrant a bad review for this palette, I'm almost tempted to buy a backup of this bc there are so many dupes of coveted mac shadows in there woooot

The packaging is adorable too, folds into a little book case type looking thing so it's great for travel

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I bought this little black book in the warm addition. I really love the colors of these eyeshadows. They work very well with my skintone. I find that the shimmery eyeshadows tend to work better than the matte colors. I find that the matte colors aren't as pigmented as the shimmery shades. The matte shades also cease more. When I apply eyeshadow primer prior to applying my eyeshadow the colors don't cease and the pigments are more intensified. I also love the design of the case. The small book design is very cute and It's perfect for on the go and traveling. Very convenient and mess free.
I purchased this for just $3.50 at my local T.J. Maxx. So it's a great bargain and a quality eyeshadow. I'm very satisfied with my little black beauty book.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the DAY Palette, #91601 (pictured above) OMG I love this little thing! I bought this online to keep at my SO's house for a broad selection of looks, because the package - a sturdy little black plastic book - is adorable and the shades look like my favorites: Neutrals, warm earthy shades and pink/bronze/plums. It's so beautiful! There's a nice mix of finishes, a really nice matte light/medium flesh tone for blending, a couple shades for my brows, and all are pigmented and smooth. If these shades appeal to you, snag this!!!

on 3/19/2013 2:13:00 AM

I purchased this in Warm ages ago in an elf haul. I love this little book! All of the colors are wearable and most of them are nicely pigmented, ESPECIALLY for the price you pay! $5 for all of these colors, sometimes less when ELF is having a massive sale. This book is just full of beautiful neutrals with a few fun colors. I find that when I use a primer with these (I've used both the $1 elf primer and the two-faced primer with identical results), these will stay on ALL day and be on if I fall asleep without taking it off, so all night as well. I find the colors easy to blend. There is a little fallout sometimes, but I've had more fallout from more expensive drugstore brands than this one, and it doesn't bother me. Usually, there isn't any at all.

The darker shades are more pigmented and easy to work with than the lighter shades, as is the case with most cheap eyeshadows. Some are still wfine but you defiantly want to purchase this with the intention of using the darker shades.

The book shape is cute but I think I would like this even more if it was something different. I bought the original and I think there might be more versions of this out now, so I am speaking of the original here - after about a year of having this, the cushiony case has dents and stuff all over it, the mirror is awkward/useless, and the book wont lay completely flat and open. This isn't going to knock a lippie off from me, I'd just prefer another case.

I love all of E.L.F.'s products, so naturally I wasn't surprised at myself for immediately buying this from Target for $5. The price is GREAT for the number of eyeshadows you get (48). The only thing that concerned me with this palette was that a few of the eyeshadows weren't very pigmented at all. Other than that, I loved it! Definitely a great palette for beginners.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

A friend at work recommended this palette for creating everyday looks and I managed to snag both the cool and warm palettes at Winners for about $6.
I like both palettes but I'll probably use the warm one more. (Asian NC30 and I suit warm tones better)

The shadows do have some shimmer but nothing outrageous and definitely subtle to wear everyday.
The pigment is okay (I need to layer the colour a bit for it to show) but lasts for most of the day.

I use my own makeup brushes and not the little sponge applicator that comes with the palette.

A real gem from E.L.F.!

I have the palette that contains more brown tones than colors. (I've long since thrown the packaging away.)

I love the colors. I've been practicing with neutral tones, and this is the best neutral palette I can find right now. A lot of selection to choose from, which is nice, and I don't have to pay lots and lots of money for shadows I might not be happy with.

I would recommend this for the dirt cheap price. I see a lot of staying power, depending on the primer you use and the shades you use. Since I use neutral colors, I don't see the fade. I might see the fade if I used bright, bright colors, but I don't.

I also use it with UD primer potion, and that helps tremendously.

The only thing I don't like about it is the way that the applicator is stored inside. I wish there was something to hold it in place; it just sits there. Every time I open it, the stupid thing falls out. I only keep it in case I want to touch up my makeup while I'm out. I use brushes to apply the makeup in the first place. I just think they could have made it so you could snap the applicator in place.

In any case, I would recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you're only out about $5.

on 12/21/2012 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this little palette! I have it in cool. The colors are highly pigmented and true to pan. I just love how bright they all come out. There are some lovely greens, purples, pinks, oranges, blues, and even some grey and black for smokey looks and contrast. The only downfall of this palette is that you will probably need some neutral colors for blending. Other than that, I just love it!

Popular Palettes