e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Little Black Beauty Book

Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.7

on 11/17/2013 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is horrible. Yeah there are a lot of eyeshadows but they're soooo tiny. Like I can barely get a brush in there. The pigmentation SUCKS. Like I think the eyeshadows I got from Claire's when I was 12 was better quality than this crap. I got the warm edition and while I like neutrals, these are all pretty much the same color. They're also all incredibly chalk-like, streaky, and just muddy colors. There's tons of fallout and the applicator they gave you is a joke, as most are, but still. There's nothing good about this palette, if you wanna call it that, and you should seriously just save your money and go buy something else.

on 3/13/2016 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This palette is very versatile with a wide range of finishes. There is anything from matte to metallic to straight up shimmer. I have a hard time deciphering what is considered a satin finish so the only thing I’ll say that I know for sure is that there are five true mattes.

There is a little bit of fallout, but nothing that can’t be solved by tapping the excess off of your brush or applicator. In terms of the texture of these shadows, it can be hit of miss. Some feel buttery, while others (mostly the shimmery ones with glitter) feel chunky. Since this is the warm edition of this palette, there are not many bright shades. The only bright shade is a turquoise blue with tiny gold shimmer. Pigmentation is just as hit or miss as the texture. Some are very sheer while others are very pigmented. The lighter shades can tend to get patchy.

They are long lasting as long as you use a primer under them, otherwise they tend to crease on the lid. These are also very blend-able and build-able. They can also be used wet (With any setting spray or eye drops). As a whole I would say that these are not bad for their $8.00 price tag and as of right now they are still available on the E.l.f. website. (Eyeslipsface.com)

Pros: slim and compact, good color payoff, good color selection.
Cons: Fallout, some shades are patchy, some are rough and chunky.
All in all I gives this product a 3 out of 5.
For more reviews from see go to http://tiffini42112.tumblr.com/

In this case, you get what you pay for. I wasn't super impressed with this palette. The colors look so beautiful lined up together, and I can't get over how pretty the shimmers are, but the pigmintaion wasn't that great. I naturally have very oily lids and this eyeshadow creased right when I put it on. I would recommend using a eyeshadow primer before hand. I will still probably get good use this out of this palette. I believe you still could find better for the price.

on 11/13/2013 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the "night" version in hopes it would be good for travelling, but even over a primer there is barely any pigmentation to any given color in this palette. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for a young girl who is just starting out with makeup, but for those who are already skilled it's not worth it by any means.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This palette is good for beginners trying to experiment on makeup. Some colors are a hit and miss, being more or less pigmented, it does last all day with my primer that was also E.L.F. The package is small and very cute. I just wish some of the colors were more pigmented...

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This palette is the first eyeshadow palette I purchased back when I was still learning to put on makeup, because it's cheap and promises a wide range of neutral color - I thought it'd be a great choice to start.
It's good to find out that the palette comes in small, soft, magnet-clasped plastic packaging that looks like a small notebook - very cute. It contains many neutral colors with shimmers, and several mattes. The first thing I noticed after I tried them on was how powdery they were, it's sometimes prone to fallout. It gets messy in the pan, as well. The color payoff varies across the pan. I'm satisfied with the intensity of the darker colors (especially the mattes), but the shimmery ones are sometimes troublesome. I tried to prime my lids before putting them on, and primer does help to keep them in there.
Definitely not the best palette out there, but it's worth the price particularly when you're just started.

on 12/23/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The warm version of this (along with an eye shadow and smudge brush that was included in the box as part of the holiday set) was given to me as a birthday/early Christmas gift from one of my friends who knew I liked many of e.l.f.'s products as well as preferring neutral palettes.

My first impression of this is that the packaging was quite tiny-- about the size of your hand. It closes with a magnet encased within the edges of the "book". And while its size is very travel friendly, I feel like the its design could have included for more shadows if it weren't for the cheap plastic applicator taped at the bottom. As for the size of the pans themselves, I can agree with some other reviewers that it was a bit smaller than what I initially expected, but getting product using the brushes included, ended up just fine.

The colors themselves are very similar to each other from the naked eye, and honestly, it would have been better to review each shade on different individuals to see which ones weren't needed in order to have space for a proper brush (even if it was dual ended and tiny) than a cheap plastic applicator or bigger pans.

I can't say I swatched every eye shadow in the palette, but from what shades I did without a primer, the pigmentation of many of the satin-like shadows ranged from alright to very opaque and beautiful. The textures of the shadows weren't too stiff but some of the shades can be described as slightly chalky, like with a few of the mattes, or have had too much fallout while swatching some of the satin/shimmery shades.

The nicest swatches with the satin finish were the medium~darkest shades. The mattes in this particular palette, overall, had some of the weakest pigmentation and took awhile to build up nicely. This was even worse with the lightest shades, which didn't show up on my skin until I picked up tons of product on the brush and put it directly on my skin. And while it seems like I was exaggerating, it isn't exactly far from the truth in the case with some of the eye shadows.

So who benefits most from this palette? Absolute beginners who want to experiment with various shades and finishes.

It defiantly isn't the best eyeshadow but its still cool to have. I like a lot of the browns for days I want more natural looks and for the price its nice to have.

on 11/13/2013 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

not pigmented at all especially the neutral color, even if i applying it with my finger i have to rub my finger over and over again still it only carry very little product..

Wow, straight up wow. I bought this palette on a whim bc it was 5$ and just wanted to see if the shadows would live up to the hype.....and they did. Well....partially...
The shimmery shadows with the exception of 1 had great pigmentation, not too overly shimmery, smooth and buttery, they came out true to color and the colors were all different, not like other cheapie palettes where in the pan they *look* different but swatched in actuality aren't.

Con: the matte colors are terrible, terrrrible. I had to scrape the matte colors with my nail to create a powder/pigment and then swatch, then and only then did the matte colors show up.

The con of the matte colors still isn't enough to warrant a bad review for this palette, I'm almost tempted to buy a backup of this bc there are so many dupes of coveted mac shadows in there woooot

The packaging is adorable too, folds into a little book case type looking thing so it's great for travel