Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 30

BB Cream SPF 30BB Cream SPF 30

3.5

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I love this now, but I didn't love it at first. In fact, it was in my "probably going to return" box until I figured I'd try it again. I really wanted to love it -- spf 35, oil control, good color match. Turns out I was applying it all wrong (for me, anyway). I was using the foundation brush, then my fingers, and neither quite gave me the finish I was looking for. Then I tried a slightly damp makeup sponge, and, it turned out to be just right.

So, grab one of those round makeup sponges you get at the drugstore, run some water over it, squeeze it out -- it just needs to be a bit damp, not wet. I squirt a little drop of the BB Cream onto the sponge, dot it on my cheeks, chin, forehead, and nose (in that order, so my cheeks get the majority of the product), and then lightly swirl it into my skin. If I need more coverage, I add a little more and swirl again. It just disappears, as does the ever-present redness in my skin. And then I set it with a teensy poof of MUFE HD Microfinish Powder, because I love the stuff.

As for shades, well, I'm a PPP with light chestnut hair and green eyes, generally NC15, and the Extra Light works well with my fair skin. In Bobbi terms, I'm not Alabaster, and I'm slightly darker than Porcelain (and I do mean just slightly -- Warm Ivory and Sand are way too dark for me). In Bobbi's Skin foundation, I wear Porcelain, just because my neck is lighter than my face. So, Extra Light is my color in the BB Cream. I'm surprised Bobbi Brown hasn't added an Alabaster, though. I think Extra Light, the lightest option offered, would be too dark for the truly palest among us.

As for coverage, well, I don't have scars or acne to cover up, just redness and sun damage. I wish I had worn spf 30+ every day of my childhood and teen years. It's surprising what kind of wicked splotches show up when you hit 40. The BB Cream hides those really well without making me look like I'm wearing a mask. My sweet co-worker, who's an esthetician in her spare time, says it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup at all -- that my skin just looks smooth and even. I like that review!

This tube has lasted me about 8 months, used two or three times a week, and there's about a quarter-tube left. I alternate wearing BB Cream and Bobbi Brown's Skin foundation, just depending on my mood. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the BB Cream. And I'll buy it again when this tube runs out ... along with more makeup sponges!

on 4/24/2013 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have pretty high expectations of brands Bobbi Brown, being high end and all, unfortunately this bb cream hasn't quite lived up to them...

However, my main gripe with this product is the lightest shade named 'extra light' (the one I bought) is around an NC20, hardly extra light at all!

I'm just a tad lighter than NC15, so I have to mix this down with something lighter - which is not uncommon for me to have to do with a foundation or bb cream, but it's still frustrating that it's not a proper color match.

So all in all, not so great for the incredibly pale, I didn't really touch on this but the retail price is *quite* expensive, but great coverage and great formulation. But probably wouldn't repurchase unless I get more tanned (not likely considering I like being pale!).

on 4/16/2013 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I agree with some of the previous reviewers, the color was a little too light for me, but the next one up was a little too dark, so I couldn't find a perfect match, however after an hour or two it matched my skin a little better, but still looked pretty unnatural. Not bad...just unnatural. I didn't find it particularly moisturizing, which I was hoping for due to the price, and the fact that I have pretty dry skin!
Not a terrible product, but not excellent either. Won't purchase again, but I still suggest that you try it out, cause BB creams are different for EVERYONE!

on 2/6/2013 7:16:00 PM

I bought this when my foundation was feeling too heavy earlier this winter. I'd tried BB cream last summer (Estee Lauder) and loved it - got TONS of compliments on my skin - but needed a lighter color for winter skin and this comes in 5 shades, plus I like Bobbi products generally. It's heavier than the EL - initially I applied with my fingers, but it was too sticky, so now I use a kabuki brush, which works well. It stays put REALLY well...I go to the gym after work and this stuff only comes off when I wipe my face kind of hard with my towel, and even then it feels like it doesn't want to budge. I would repurchase, but might try a sample of the lighter EL shade before I do. Overall a good BB!

on 10/15/2012 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Over the last 10 years I have tried hundreds of foundations, concelalers, tinted moisturisers etc. I don't really know what "bb" means or what makes this "bb" but i dont care. this stuff is AMAZING. it covers, it's not oily, it doesn't break me out (my skin reacts to everything), the colour matches and it is spf 35!! it's almost unbelievable. pleasee buy it so they don't discontinue it ever!!

on 10/12/2012 10:07:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i'm new to bb creams and i was curious, and as i need a daily sunscreen (i'm a fair-skinned NW20 australian) and i like the bobbi brown brand i thought i'd give it a go.

because of the limited number of colours offered i imagined it would be more of a tinted moisturiser than a foundation - relatively quick and easy to apply and forgiving colour-wise - so i was surprised to find the opposite is true. it's a lot stickier than a moisturiser (you can feel the sunscreen in it), and like a foundation it needs more careful application. i generally use spray foundation (applied with a brush) which has a very high water content and goes on like a dream, so i found this cream a bit stiff to apply (fingertips worked the best). and as with my foundation i needed to blend two colours (Fair and Light) to get the right shade. but it doesn't give the coverage a foundation does. it reduced uneven skin tone and looked natural - maybe a bit too natural ;-) - but i can get the same look with light foundation, or TM and concealer, so i'm not convinced i need bb cream as well. i will keep going with it though as the moisturiser / sunscreen combo could give it the edge during the summer months.

on 10/1/2012 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Well, it could be that the Bobbi Brown consultant chose the wrong shade for me - but I always go for the lightest ones anyway- it just does not do anything for me. I look tired, I feel like it exagerrate the redness, generally unheathy and less smooth the without any makeup.

This is the first BB cream I've ever used and have to say I'm loving it so far! The finish is incredibly natural (looks like real skin), hydrating and yet controls oil. I do get a bit of oiliness in my t-zone by the end of the day but nothing that some pressed powder or blotting papers can't handle.

Coverage is light to medium (more than a tinted moisturizer, less than most foundations). Consistency is thick, creamy and blendable. I found this extremely easy to apply with a flat foundation brush.

I tested wearing this with photos and did not notice a whitening effect despite the high SPF (35).

Love the skin care benefits associated with this product, but haven't been able to see any effects due to my limited use. Regardless, I think this is a happy medium between a TM and foundation. Great for every day use.

on 9/22/2012 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first BB cream that I have tried that I have actually liked. It is certainly a very welcome change from the overly pale, greyish BB creams that I had come to expect in what was supposedly my shade range (I'm actually a NC35/40 in the winter). I have medium olive skin and tan very easily, so the yellow undertones in many of Bobbi Brown's foundations suit me well. With a tan I wear the Medium/Dark BB cream in this brand, though I expect that in the dead of winter I will switch to the Medium. The coverage is in the mid range, and you need a pea-sized amount or less for your entire face (and this is being generous), as the formula spreads easily and is quite concentrated. This cream dries down to a slightly powdery finish, which is nice for combating shine. That said, I have rather oily skin yet find this product to be rather standard in terms of oil control - I still find myself reaching for blotting papers about three times throughout the work day. (But I have yet to find an "oil-control" foundation that performs better than this). The ease of application (hello, fingers!) and nice shade match definitely make this worthy of repurchasing in my book. My sole complaint?: this foundation transfers more than any other that I have ever used. I sneeze, and it literally (almost) flies off of my face, even hours after I've put it on. Not so pleasant, but with a little care and some small application adjustments it's a flaw I can cope with. The bottom line: this is definitely a BB cream worth trying.

on 9/15/2012 7:41:00 AM

Initially I had trouble with this product.
After searching on YouTube how to apply bb cream I found out the technique can make a difference.
I found the colour blends in well.
It does not last all day with me, if I apply a bit of powder after the cream sets on my face it lasts a bit longer. It does take a long time to set.
I have had a few breakouts however I didn't give up on this product...really difficult to explain but in the long run my skin has cleared up. The breakouts may be an odd one here and there but my actual acne has started to clear up.
I have used it under foundation, looks flawless for a couple of hours then turns cakey so don't do that!
Wear moisturiser underneath or it will highlight dry patches. Don't wear primer.
Use fingers. Brushes will just soak it up and looks bad in general.

I have a love-hate relationship. As it is clearing up my acne I will use it until it runs out but will most probably try a different bb cream after.
I was hoping for miracles but didn't happen.