Real Techniques Core Collection

Real Techniques Core Collection

4.5

on 5/16/2011 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Overall, I think this set is excellentógreat brushes at a super price. When I first saw this set at Ulta, I thought it looked kind of cheap and almost passed. But the price is so reasonable that I decided to give it a shot. Iím really glad I did. I bought this set along with the starter eyes kit and Iím finding that itís best to take the brush descriptions with a grain of salt. Most of the time, I use the brushes for a different purpose than what the name says. They are all extremely soft, donít shed, wash well, and dry quickly. I also like that they are all synthetic.

Buffing Brush Ė My personal favorite of the set. This brush is perfect for powders/creams and for blending of any kind. I love using this with my mineral foundation. I was using the Sonia Kashuk flat multipurpose brush, but itís a little too dense and results in too heavy an application if Iím not careful. Because this buffing brush is a little less dense (but equally soft), I find that it gives me a lighter result and a smoother, less caked-on finish.

Contour Brush Ė My second favorite brush in the set. The small, rounded shape of this brush is great. Itís the perfect size for contouring, but itís also great for any kind of precision application, be it highlight, contour, blush, powder, or foundation. Very soft and very versatile.

Detailer Brush Ė This is a fairly standard brush and can be used for a variety of purposes: lipstick, small concealer work, precise eye shadow or eye liner application.

Pointed Foundation Brush Ė This one was a surprise to me. I was unimpressed with it at first and wrote it off as a throwaway--really too small to be a full face foundation brush. Interestingly enough, I now use it far more often than I thought I would. Itís quite pointed and stiff, so you do have to be careful because you can poke yourself. Used on its side, itís soft and blends extremely well. I have a Tarte eye shadow palette that I find far too shimmery when I use a normal eye shadow brush. This brush has given that palette a new life. When I apply the shimmer eye shadow with this brush, it goes on super sheer and I can layer it on without looking like a cheap hooker. The size, shape and stiffness of this brush also make it ideal for brushing off eye shadow fallout from below the eye.

Brush Case Ė My initial impression of the brush case was that it was flimsy and gimmicky. I personally prefer cases I can close fully so the brushes stay clean when I travel. Then I saw the brush cleaning case recently advertised on the Sigma website and a light bulb went off. Why not use the Real Techniques brush case to dry my brushes upside down? Iíve been trying to find a way to dry my brushes so that the water does not drip down into the ferrule while drying. I donít like laying a lot of my brushes on their sides because it takes up too much counter space. This brush case is the perfect solution. After I wash my brushes and squeeze out the excess water, I put them in the elastic holders and flip the case upside down. Leaving the case open inside out, I can easily adjust the Velcro strap so that it stands upright with my brushes held in place securely. The case standing up does not take up much space on my counter or my dresser. And big handled brushes (like my Ecotools bronzer brush) that wonít fit into the straps? I just secure one between the case sides at an angle. Now, Iím so glad that I didnít toss the caseóitís the perfect brush drying stand!

So in a nutshell, I got four soft, high quality brushes and a brush drying case for $16. Hello! Five big lippies for me! :)

on 5/14/2011 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Detailer Brush:
God I LOVE this for apply lipstick, lip gloss and blending lip liner. It's just fabulous!

Pointed Foundation Brush:
This is small for applying foundation, but it's PERFECT for concealer under the eyes, around the nose and any small areas of discoloration.

Buffing Brush:
This is the most AMAZING brush for apply foundation (liquid or creme). I can not live without this brush.

Contour Brush:
It's good for contour the cheeks or apply powder under the eyes and around the nose. Any area where you haven't already applied blush, bronzer, etc. It really good for highlighter as well.

Overall this kit is amazing and the price is really good. Even better when I was able to use my Instyle $5.00 off coupon. I would re-purchase in a heart beat.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Ok, so like may Makeupalley fans here, I love the pixowoo girls on youtube, but this brush collection is well, OK, but not amazing. Here is why:

Detailer brush: cute very small pointed brush I would use for concealing or placing shimmery eyeshadow in the inner corner of the eye where the tear duct is, that is pretty much it.

Pointed foundation brush: this brush is wayyyy to small for foundation unless you are putting foundation on a toddler. I expected the pixiwoo girls to at least design one for a human adult face like the Louise Young brush they use and love so much.

Buffing brush: Great brush. Dense and applies mineral and liquid foundation like a dream. This one I truly like.

Contour brush: Again, you can use this to contour and even apply blush or highlighter lightly and even use it to buff your foundation in.

Overall, the price is great but not worth the hype. It does come in a cute case but my disappointment is expecting the "gurus" to come out with something to knock your socks off. These brushes are essentially similar to EcoTools in that they are synthetic so choose carefully, some are great and others are well....mediocre.

Popular Makeup Brushes