Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner

Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner

4.1

Not tested on animals

Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract*, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Derived), Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Rapeseed Oil Derived), Coco Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut Derived), Dehydroacetic Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate (Fruit Derived), Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum).* Certified Organic.

on 5/21/2012 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

For reference, I have color treated hair that is oily at the roots and dry at the ends that I heat style almost daily, and I live with hard water in a desert. I switched to this a little over a month ago. I have been slowly weeding out some of the chemicals in my beauty routine, and discovered that 'cones just mess up my hair eventually. I saw good reviews on this product and it was on sale at Target ($7) so I bought it. I am terrible about constantly switching out my S&C but this is staying in my product line!!! I love the smell, very naturally coconut, and it really adds moisture to my hair that lasts. I have about 50-60% less split ends than I did before, my color has stayed truer longer, and overall my hair feels so much better. I hate to say HG, but this is definitely in the lead for it!!!
UPDATE: I recently ran out and had to replace with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Have to say the DE is soooo much better. I miss it!

on 3/30/2012 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I like the naturalness of this product and how it makes my dry, frequently dyed hair quite soft and smooth although the effects are not lasting. As the product is thickish in texture, I had to exert a fair bit of force to squeeze the conditioner out of the tube. And while I love coconut smells, I found the fragrance on this a bit artificial and almost plastic-y. Unfortunately, this hasn't impressed me enough for me to want to repurchase.

on 3/23/2012 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

This conditioner (like the shampoo) comes in a squeeze tube, which makes it very easy to use in the shower. I bought mine for approximately $10CAD but, a little does go a long way. It smells amazing, doesn't cause breakouts, rashes, itchy scalps OR eczema and it's organic! To top it off, your hair becomes smooth and shiny because of the coconut oil... I pair it with the coconut shampoo by Desert Essence and it just works really well for me.

on 1/30/2012 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Fantastic conditioner. Conditions and detangles my hair easy as that.
+ for price, scent and quality.

on 1/11/2012 10:19:00 AM

meh...that describes this conditioner. My ends are super dry so I usually only use conditioner on the lower half of my medium length hair. This smells nice, is natural, comes in a nice tube and smooths on nicely BUT doesn't detangle or make my hair soft. I've tried putting on a little bit and a lot and nothing. I've started to slather it on (lots of it) and brushing my hair out and leaving it in for about 5 minutes. That has helped a bit but I have to literally brush it through my hair otherwise it does nothing. Won't repurchase ever...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I reviewed the DE coconut shampoo back in June (and continue to be blown away by how great it is btw). I only recently got around to purchasing the matching conditioner and have to say it is every bit as good as the shampoo, and together they make my hair look, feel and smell amazing. This conditioner is quite thick, but once it is on your hair it just seems to melt into it (must be the coconut oil in it) and leaves it silky, and doesn't weigh it down. My hair is color treated and I was having issues with breakage and dry ends before I started using these products, but over time I have noticed a great improvement in the health of my hair. I do still switch off to a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner sometimes, but I always notice a major difference when I come back to the DE products. I will not go without this conditioner and the matching shampoo, they are HG for me :)

on 9/8/2011 6:34:00 PM

Great conditioner! A little bit goes a long way on my thick, longer straight hair and it really moisturizes. Reasonable price at $8.99 CDN! I've used many pricey conditioners to help my damaged hair and this is right up there. Bonus that it's natural and cruelty-free.I bought it at the grocery store in the natural section.

on 8/18/2011 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff smells amazing and is fun to use, but unfortunately is much too drying to use in the long run. I ended up with crunchy straw hair after using the shampoo and conditioner for a run of one tube each.

on 8/17/2011 11:59:00 AM

I hate to be the buzz kill here, especially since I absolutely LOVE the Desert Essence coconut shampoo, but this conditioner did nothing for me. I love the ingredients and it smells phenomenal, but my hair is a tangled mess after using it (for reference, I have long, thick, wavy, bleached hair). I have to use a ton of it for my hair to feel somewhat moisturized and even then, it's still pretty dry...and as I mentioned, it's terrible at detangling. The search continues!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm on the fence with this line. I adore it, AND I'm unsure of it. Now let's get to this bipolar review.
Price: I get it for about $8.99 at Whole Foods. Not too bad, but I wish the bottles were bigger for that price. Considering the ingredient quality, however, it's worth it.
Packaging: Kinda flimsy squeeze tubes. BUT, the labels are extra pretty (green tones for the shampoo and pink for the conditioner)- the sliced open coconut photos on both bottles look absolutely delicious. Opening the bottles can be a teeny bit of a struggle with wet hands, but it's nothing to fret over.
Consistency: The shampoo is a clear, light yellowish-brown color. The conditioner is about the same, but opaque, of course, and a bit lighter. I can't really compare it to anything... it's not exactly the most pleasant color, but this is a good sign- there's no dye additives to take away from the nearly 100% natural-ness of this line. The shampoo isn't too thick, and the conditioner is pretty thick but not overwhelmingly so.
Scent: A strong pina colada scent explodes from these bottles and will linger in your hair for a few hours after it dries. If you're not a fan of strong scents, you may want to hold your nose. I enjoy it, but it can be slightly cloying at times. It's possibly the only non-natural ingredient in this line. It's definitely synthetic. It's too powerful and identifiable of a fragrance to not be.
Ingredients: I'm incredibly impressed by the probably 98% natural ingredients of both the shampoo and conditioner. It's so wonderful and reassuring that what you're putting in your hair is a-ok.
Performance: Apparently this shampoo and conditioner line is an "award-winner." In my book? Kind of. In certain aspects. Ingredients list? Yes. Performance? Hmm... Well, the shampoo cleans without stripping, and lathers wonderfully, so the shampoo is a definite winner with me. It's my favorite sulfate-free 'poo. The conditioner, on the other hand, I'm on the fence with. I have to use a ton of it after shampooing- which is the case with me most of the time anyway considering the thickness of my hair- but I feel like I need to use more than usual. It detangles and moisturizes my curls in the shower very well, but after my hair dries, that's when the confusion begins. My curls are RIDICULOUSLY defined and bouncy, but they're not as soft or moist as with other conditioners. There can be some next-day dryness, too. The end results are lovely, but in terms of how my hair feels to the touch, I'm a bit baffled.
Overall: This is an awesome line. I mean, freakin' fantastic. It's almost completely natural, smells great, performs wonderfully, and is generally affordable unless you're on a super tight budget. Aside from my post-air dry confusions with the conditioner and the limited availability of the product in stores, this line is definitely staying in my routine. I feel... safe with it. It's so gentle and earth-friendly. Try it out! ^^