Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++
Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

3.6

I've been trying out different tinted moisturisers and usually use Clinique Citiblock Sheer SPF 25. I like this BB Cream. Application is smooth and it sinks in well. Uses physical mineral ingredient sun barriers rather than chemical (no eye irritation) and has no fragrance. Color does run pinkish-grey, but it works for my skin tone so I can't complain. (Usually tinted BB creams are too yellow or too orange for my pale skin.) Price is mid-, heading into high for something purchased at the drugstore, but quality is quite good. Not the biggest fan of the hard-sided tube, but I did crack it open to get everything out at the end. If you don't dig everything out, there is too much wastage at that price. Will probably pick this up on sale as an alternative to my beloved Clinique.

Edited to say I picked up another tube on sale and am upping this to 5 lippies. I still love the Citiblock Sheer, which I prefer for travel due to smaller tube size, but the Dr. Jart + has a silkier application and depending on the time of year, coverage and skin tone match can't be beat. Really love this stuff.

I bought this on sale for half price at Boots. Of course Boots doesn't have any testers of this product since it's in their "skincare" aisle, which is a pretty darn silly marketing choice if you ask me, so it was a completely blind buy.

The skin test on the back of my hand was quite promising-- I have very sensitive skin which can't cope with most foundations, and I didn't have any kind of reaction to it. However, I did notice that it was quite dark against my skin. Once blended in it became much more translucent and was barely visible, however, and as my hands are at least a shade or two paler than my face (I wear summer gloves in the sun because my family seems to be quite prone to sunspots, but I admit to being a bit incautious about using, or not using, sunscreen on my face-- it makes me break out) I thought that it would maybe be OK.

It turns out, predictably, it's too dark for my Illamasqua 115-120 skin. However, it's only a bit too dark, and in fact once it has settled in it isn't noticeable at all. It doesn't look too hot by itself, being too yellow for my skin tone, but with a top coat of Bare Minerals powder foundation it looks near perfect though I'd still prefer it paler. (Funnily enough I see lots of women here complaining about the "greyish" finish of many BB creams, and how nobody really has that skin colour; well, I do, and I wish this product had more of it!)

The thing I am impressed by is how well it copes with problem areas that foundations can't deal with. Because of my oily T-bar and huge pores, I have a big problem with foundation caking up in the corners of my nose, which is mostly unavoidable as my nostrils are very red and I can't avoid using concealer there. This doesn't hide either the darkness around my eyes (it isn't due to tiredness; I think it's just because I'm so white that the veins show through) nor does it hide the redness, but it evens them out and doesn't cake. It does highlight my pores a bit and it has a bit of a greasy finish on its own in some lights, but it's nothing powder can't handle and it looks beautiful under my Bare Minerals foundation-- exactly like my skin but fresh, glowing, and better.

Would I buy this product again? No. It does make my skin look nice, and I will probably use it on occasion, but I think I'll try some other Asian BB creams first. I could cope with the strange finish seeing as it does look quite nice if not examined up close, but it simply doesn't match my skin tone (for reference, I'm Illamasqua RF115-120) and I don't think that will get any easier seeing as here in the UK summer is already drawing to a close.

FINAL EDIT. While this looked super nice under my Bare Minerals foundation and I adore the dewy finish, after about five days of wearing it I broke out horribly-- whiteheads all over my nose and chin, big pimples on my cheeks where I haven't had any for years, and even a couple on my forehead where I never get acne. While it's calmed down a lot since then, my poor skin is still looking sad a week or so after I went foundation-free to let it breathe. As my skin was pretty much perfect before using it and this is the only new product I've tried, I know what caused that. If it was a bit lighter and didn't turn me into my sixteen-year-old nightmare it'd be a HG product for the gorgeous finish, so I hate to do it, but I have knocked off another lippie for just how terrible it's made my skin look. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who breaks out easily.

on 6/1/2013 7:49:00 PM

I like this product. It has pretty good coverage for a bb cream and as a redhead, I love that it has a high SPF! My one complaint and the reason that I would not repurchase it; I feel like it get's really shiny. I have dry skin and halfway through the day I feel super shiny and have to re-powder. Good- not great.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the only foundation/BB Cream/Whatever that I have ever used consistently without getting sick of it or just "over it" and moving on. That's rare for me. I've tried other BB Creams and haven't been super impressed. I tried this on the back of my hand at Sephora and it looked SO smooth and silky and hydrating (I have dry skin) and even had a sort-of "sheen" to it... I had to buy it. I'm so glad I did. I love everything about it. It has a nice SPF (45) and it does NOT reek of SPF! I am sensitive to that smell-- I hate it. It gives smooth, even coverage but is sheer enough to see skin underneath... it glides over and hides imperfections but still looks like skin... It might be a bit too dark for anyone darker than NC20... If I have a tan, this might have a bit of a whitish cast... I'm NC15-20 (depending on the sun I get). It's silky and makes my dry skin look almost dewy... The bottle has a neat dispenser that clicks closed when turned. Very easy, no dealing with lids that can be lost... I love this stuff. It's worth the $. The only other foundation I'd use again is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Fndtn. I'd say these are somewhat comparable (for someone with dry skin, at least)...

on 3/16/2013 5:29:00 PM

So I was a little nervous trying this one out and even after application I almost took it off but I am glad I just gave it a little more time. I have very pale cool toned-neutral skin and when I put it on at first my face looked a little pinkish and slightly too dark. I will say after about 20 minutes the color seemed to adjust to my skin and then looked perfectly natural. The finish was a demi matte at first but then got a lil more dewy looking after a few hours. I did have to blot my tzone after around 5 hours BUT my tzone can be pretty oily some days and the product didnt slide or disappear it just let a lil oil through lol. Nothing that isn't fixable happened.

I got the set of 4 dr jart bb creams honestly I have tried 3 of them (black label detox, premium, water fuse) and I love them all equally. They give light-medium coverage. I find them a little moisturizing but even with my combo/oily skin I always use a moisturizer/primer first so if you have dry skin you may still want to use a good moisturizer as I just don't feel this one does as good of a job at that.

Hands down this is better than ALL the drugstore BB creams I have tried and I would say does pretty close to the 2 asian bb creams I have so it is a pretty good product. Sometimes you get what you pay for. The cheap ones just aren't worth anything more than a tinted moisturizer...at least this one will cover my dark circles and most blemishes or redness in one application and doesn't break me out. My skin seems to like it just fine :)

on 10/19/2012 9:36:00 AM

I bought this a week ago on a whim in place of my tinted moisturizer and have been using it daily. I have only tried 2 other BB creams before this (Smashbox which was too visible on top of my skin) & Boscia which was too dark for my NW15ish skin). This stuff is amazing so far. It goes on so smoothly, sinks in, evens out my skintone, moisturizes, and provides sun protection. It's exactly what I want in a "foundation"--that no make-up look/feel. A little powder finishes it off. I have an oily t-zone and this does not make it worse as some products do. I still have to blot later in the day w/an oil absorbing sheet but that is to be expected. So far I love this.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought the Premium Beauty Balm for colder months and Water Fuse for the summer and while I was impressed by the ingredients, physical sunblock, and light coverage both unfortunately clogged my pores and gave me whiteheads. I really wish they didn't because I love the dewy, natural finish they give.

on 8/17/2012 10:35:00 AM

I really wanted to like this. The idea of not having to use a separate moisturizer, foundation and sunscreen is very appealing to me. I also noticed that only physical sunscreen ingredients are used in this product. I have rosacea and am very sensitive to chemical sunscreens so this was another reason that I was very interested in this product. I wound up trying this product all over my face one day before going to work, which was a mistake - I did not like the way I looked and I was stuck wearing it all day.

Pros: I found it completely non-irritating and it did do a good job of covering my rosacea.
Cons: I'm a NW 15 and this product is just too dark for me. It's probably best suited for a NW 20-25 complexion. I also did not feel that it was very moisturizing (and I have normal-oily combination skin) even though it felt heavy on my face. It also seemed settled in my pores a little. Finally, it did not do much to hide my dark under eye circles (although, to be fair, I do have horrific under eye circles)

on 6/6/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I had such high hopes for this product and was especially intrigued by the SPF45. I have very fair skin with a slight pink tinge. I was given a sample at Sephora and this morning applied it. I wasn't bothered by the feeling of putting liquid paste on my face but I was so disappointed to see my face getting PINK and I do mean pink. I waited thinking the shade would change but it did not. I now have a very pink face next to my white neck. I don't think Sephora carries the Dr. J product that comes in different shades. Even though that product isn't SPF45, I'd give it a try. I'm so disappointed - back to SPF moisturizer, then primer, then foundation.
*********************************************************
A couple hours later, I looked in the mirror. The pink had subsided a lot. But the makeup was too dark - a definite difference between face and neck. I stopped into Sephora and asked the "expert" what she thought and her response was it's too dark. She then showed me SmashBox's BB Camera Ready in "Fair". It's SPF35. I took a sample and will try it tomorrow. So I still would not buy Dr. J but will hope for the best with SB. SPF35 isn't as good as SPF45 but it's better than a lot of other stuff. By the way, SB BB came in (I think) six shades. Fair was the lightest.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't like foundations, and, although this feels like one to me, it is so moisturizing and easy to use and--most importantly-- protects the skin from the sun using high percentages of the physical sunscreens titanium dioxide (9%) and zinc oxide (6%), that I rather like it. It glides on much like Melashade, only it's way more moisturizing and easy to build up (it doesn't ball up or emphasize dry patches, although I do moisturize beforehand). I can't say I enjoy putting it on--it just feels too much like make-up for my taste).
My one major gripe is that it has parabens. If not for that, I think it might deserve 5 lippies (and, this is being totally picky, but I wish the container were glass nstead of plastic, since studies now say that plastic may be messing with our hormones).
It is a bit chalky-colored for my ruddy complexion, and if I apply an amount even approaching the "nickel-sized dollop to the face" that the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends, I look like I'm wearing makeup (especially any places that I have blonde peach-fuzz). But today I was out in the midday sun for a half-hour and I didn't burn (although I did get rosy cheeks). It's a tiny bit shiny for my taste, but my skin is so dry from Retin-A that I'll take shine over the dry patches some physical sunscreens exaggerate. It does make my skin look glowy--but that can also exaggerate any acne scars.
Also, I am acne-prone, but it has not caused me to break out yet (knock on wood ;-).
Sephora's website states that is does not contain:
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

Ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Arbutin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Magnesium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Calcium Stearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Tocopheryl Acetate, Adenosine, Alcohol, Lecithin, rh-Oligopeptide-1, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, PVP, Platinum powder, Steareth-20, Chrysin, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide.